Nice jeans for dinner in MDR?

tbmrt

That is very unfair calling the country club set a bunch of elitist fools . When one of my sisters was in high school she used to wait tables at a country club . The cream of society Doctors, lawyers , judges , politicians , big executives.

They could not have been nicer to this little 17 year old girl from a working class family. They wanted to take her to their beach homes, Florida, out on their boats , even for rides in their big expensive cars .

It was like a dirty old man Fresh Air Fund :)

Haha. Sounds about right. Of course she would have been safe with them because they weren't wearing jeans. :D

A terrorist in a tux or a jester in jeans? I know which I'd prefer at my dinner table. Whichever way you look at it, it's just a piece of cloth. It may be sequinned, sparkly, sheer, silky, heavy, light, patterned, ripped, zipped etc., but it's still a piece of cloth. Designers want your money and for you to spend every season, so they will promote their fashions - that's capitalism. What you wear at my dinner table is not going to alter the taste of my food ;).

As someone highlighted earlier (country club band): if you think someone's profession or attire makes them a better person, then you have the 'problem' and you need to examine your own values ;).

A terrorist in a tux or a jester in jeans? I know which I'd prefer at my dinner table. Whichever way you look at it, it's just a piece of cloth. It may be sequinned, sparkly, sheer, silky, heavy, light, patterned, ripped, zipped etc., but it's still a piece of cloth. Designers want your money and for you to spend every season, so they will promote their fashions - that's capitalism. What you wear at my dinner table is not going to alter the taste of my food ;).

As someone highlighted earlier (country club band): if you think someone's profession or attire makes them a better person, then you have the 'problem' and you need to examine your own values ;).

Well said [emoji4]

I have often heard/read people comment that they eat in the specialty restaurants to avoid formal nights. Now that the MDR is more appealing to that demographic, why not put the shoe on the other foot and switch one of the specialty restaurants to formal dining, if not all the time at least on chic nights. I know the argument will be about having to pay but it still would be a nice option.

Never understood packing jeans for a cruise..Maybe because I sail only to the Caribbean where its always warm. I don't wear jeans in the summer here in Ohio. Why take them on a cruise? I dress for the weather and the event. That being said, To each, their own.. wear what makes you feel comfortable . If you find yourself wishing you had wore something else , then maybe you should have.

I have often heard/read people comment that they eat in the specialty restaurants to avoid formal nights. Now that the MDR is more appealing to that demographic' date=' why not put the shoe on the other foot and switch one of the specialty restaurants to formal dining, if not all the time at least on chic nights. I know the argument will be about having to pay but it still would be a nice option.[/quote']

Great idea....

The cream of society Doctors, lawyers, judges, politicians, big executives.

LOL!

I know a few doctors and lawyers. Close friends are judges and politicians, I´d be the executive in that list (although I am not big)... However, I fail to see the "cream of society" in them or myself! ;)

LOL!

I know a few doctors and lawyers. Close friends are judges and politicians, I´d be the executive in that list (although I am not big)... However, I fail to see the "cream of society" in them or myself! ;)

Cream - rich , thick and sometimes full of Clots [emoji33].

This may not travel westbound over atlantic [emoji32]

I have often heard/read people comment that they eat in the specialty restaurants to avoid formal nights. Now that the MDR is more appealing to that demographic' date=' why not put the shoe on the other foot and switch one of the specialty restaurants to formal dining, if not all the time at least on chic nights. I know the argument will be about having to pay but it still would be a nice option.[/quote']

I doubt that will happen. However, with this change in dress code, I think that Celebrity is going to lose quite a bit of income from the specialty restaurants now. People's reasons for going there on former-formal night are gone.

I think that Celebrity is going to lose quite a bit of income from the specialty restaurants now. People's reasons for going there on former-formal night are gone.

We choose to go to a specialty restaurants when it suits us simply for the food and nothing else, so they won't loose my money.

We choose to go to a specialty restaurants when it suits us simply for the food and nothing else, so they won't loose my money.

being mean brits we are similar but wait for them to offer us a ' deal' [emoji12]

Edited by LA_Design

I doubt that will happen. However, with this change in dress code, I think that Celebrity is going to lose quite a bit of income from the specialty restaurants now. People's reasons for going there on former-formal night are gone.

We're we have chosen in the past to dine in the speciality restaurants on formal night to get away from dressing formally the fact formal nights are stopping would just mean we are not restricted to which nights to go to the speciality places...

We generally always get a dining package as we like the experience and not just to avoid formal nights so they will still be getting my money along with others I guess [emoji4]

Funny you mention the Ritz Carlton. I was at the Ritz Carlton in downtown Toronto all day yesterday for a conference, and I met a friend in the lobby bar after for a drink. The cheapest glass of wine was $16, and martinis started at $18. Everyone in the bar (except me, because the conference was full of bankers in dark suits) - was wearing jeans. The didn't surprise me, or bother me at all. Even if you're having a $300 dinner for two in a restaurant downtown here, many will be wearing jeans.

I like to wear a jacket/tie or suit on some nights because I like the way I look. Admittedly, I sail Celebrity, in part, because I think (but do not know) that more passengers embrace the legacy of cruising and dress for dinner - somewhat formally on some nights, and still a bit "dressy" on others. It would bother me when the line would not enforce "no shorts, t-shirts, or flip-flops" in the MDR. I switched to AQ years ago, and it has not been an issue there, and I don't think the new policy will be a problem. I am totally fine if people are in jeans, and I probably will wear a very dark pair of jeans with a jacket myself on the last night (and maybe the first night as well).

I hope the new dress code doesn't encourage people to wear torn jeans, or feel that because jeans are allowed, it means it's ok to,wear flip-flops or crocs instead of shoes in the dining venues. i don't think people that are hoping others don't dress down (to an extreme) are allowing others to negatively impact their vacation, nor is it wrong to look for a certain "standard." People that stay at Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons chains expect a certain service level, quality of the rooms, amenities, and the general "style" of fellow guests - it's part of the brand image. If Celebrity lets people take the dress code too far in the casual direction, I do think they risk alienating some portion of their customer base. I am sure they did the research and know the risks, and they are making the business decision they think is right.

Which means that they will have to discount them even more than before.