Bread Pudding

On OOSTERDAM last week bread pudding was available self service daily in the Lido. It was very good, just not quite as good as I remember previously for some reason.

When the taste of something you've eaten for years is suddenly different, Sometimes it is because ingredients have been changed. Perhaps it is a different supplies of vanilla or cream or whatever.

On the Westerdam in April, you had to look for the bread pudding in the Lido. I missed it a couple of times before someone pointed it out to me. It was not the best bread pudding I've ever eaten and I think I only had it twice (hoping the second time would be better).

On the Eurodam you had to ask the person in charge of the ice cream for the bread pudding. He gave you what he thought was the appropriate amount and the appropriate amount of sauce. The woman in front of me asked for a second helping.

I don't like the regular bread pudding and that was all I could see.

Amsterdam used to have the dark chocolate bread pudding and that I love. Don't know if that ship still has it.

On the Eurodam you had to ask the person in charge of the ice cream for the bread pudding. He gave you what he thought was the appropriate amount and the appropriate amount of sauce. The woman in front of me asked for a second helping.

I don't like the regular bread pudding and that was all I could see.

Amsterdam used to have the dark chocolate bread pudding and that I love. Don't know if that ship still has it.

On Veendam, it was with the ice cream, and if you didn't know to look for it, you might not know it was there. I asked for small portions because the server there was generous. I love it, but it is definitely NOT low cal! (I suspect there's a connection there. ;))

It is in the oven right now, making it for the first time at home from a HAL cookbook.

img-3477.jpg?width=150

Mmmm, looks great! Enjoy!!

On Veendam, it was with the ice cream, and if you didn't know to look for it, you might not know it was there. I asked for small portions because the server there was generous. I love it, but it is definitely NOT low cal! (I suspect there's a connection there. ;))

Mmmm, looks great! Enjoy!!

Now that is odd. I was on the Veendam in May and it was out with the rest of the desserts. The reason I remember this is because I decided to try it because everyone raves about it. I think bread pudding is a waste of bread and without a doubt it was the worst dessert I've ever had on Hal. I was happy I only took a tablespoon full because it was disgusting. On most ships I've been on its behind the counter with the ice cream. I wonder if they moved it because they were going through it too fast.

I haven't seen bread pudding mentioned recently. Is it still being served ?It was some of my favorite desserts.

Marcia

Was in May on Maasdam. It is still my favorite dessert on HAL assuming I cannot find pistachio ice cream. It was next to the ice cream area. It was good but not as good as it used to be.

Edited by Jade13

Was in May on Maasdam. It is still my favorite dessert on HAL assuming I cannot find pistachio ice cream. It was next to the ice cream area. It was good but not as good as it used to be.

I find it to be so different from what it once was, I don't eat it now.

It was available on Statendam by the ice cream area in May.

Real breadpudding is traditionally a way of using scraps here in Belgium and The Netherlands. Real breadpudding will never taste the same as ingredients vary each time.

Leftover, old bread and other leftover ingredients are being transformed into a delicious warm "pudding" that has a consistency between pudding and cake, and is often eaten with "Crème Anglaise", or vanilla custard.

It used to be the cheapest dessert one could make:)

I LOVE it!

On Westerdam earlier this month,both sides of the Lido had It in a designated area next to the other desserts. Yum!

Ps. I am proud to be Belgian, and I thank our Police and Military forces for their professional actions today.

Edited by Despegue

Darn it, the quote function is not working again. For Despegue, I wanted to say "exactly". Bread pudding was always the recipe of necessity in the UK in the days of rationing and shortages and you never, ever wasted a crust of bread. It is a recipe passed down through families as everyone makes it different, and it turns out different every time. The same as Bread and Butter Pudding. I love it too, but without raisins.:D

Darn it, the quote function is not working again. For Despegue, I wanted to say "exactly". Bread pudding was always the recipe of necessity in the UK in the days of rationing and shortages and you never, ever wasted a crust of bread. It is a recipe passed down through families as everyone makes it different, and it turns out different every time. The same as Bread and Butter Pudding. I love it too, but without raisins.:D

Heathen! :eek: :D

Speaking of raisins, I usually have the bread pudding with vanilla sauce at least once during a HAL cruise. My DW usually abstains.

She saves herself for daily helpings of the soft and moist Raisin Buns. I, of course, must show spousal support and also partake of these luscious morning treats.

I haven't seen bread pudding mentioned recently. Is it still being served ?It was some of my favorite desserts.

Marcia

Was on the Oosterdam from 10/16 - 11/6 and they served it most days in the lido for lunch.

Had it twice on Ryndam last January. Worse I ever ate. First time it had that dried fruit. (think grandma's fruit cake) in it, and the second time I think it was with chocolate chips. I didn't finish either. It use to be my favorite dessert!

For me, the topping is key.

In one of the hands-on cooking classes, a chef taught our group to make the Creme Anglaise warm vanilla custard topping (along with other aspects of a complete meal, which we all ate afterward in the Pinnacle Grill with wine included - fun day.)

Anyway, the chef used vanilla beans and taught us how to cut open the pods, scrape out the seeds, and cook the custard. It was delicious, and I think the recipe is probably in the HAL cookbook.