Celebrity vs Princess

allegiant

I am so thankful for the time you took to respond me.As you no doubt have noticed English is not my first language for sure I have make mistakes. But I have read and understood all your message. Thank you I'm fascinated by this forum. :)

French Canadians are always very welcome in my world. We have have so much fun with Qubecois that we always look forward to meeting more folks from your part of Canada :).

Hank

Thank you for all the comparisons. It has been a while since we have cruised on Celebrity Princess and Holland and we also are having difficulty deciding which line offer the least decline in a traditional cruising experience. We are not into modern luxury but want to have a traditional wonderful cruise without the noise preferred by some cruise directors.

No top sheet on bed....how ODD is that? We were in a mini suite and I would think a top sheet is standard...apparently not...

Not sure why Princess has adopted this, but it is a European thing. We get mention of it regularly on the River Cruising forum. You should be able to ask for a top sheet, or even to swap out the duvet for a sheet + blanket.

Not sure why Princess has adopted this, but it is a European thing. We get mention of it regularly on the River Cruising forum. You should be able to ask for a top sheet, or even to swap out the duvet for a sheet + blanket.

It is an interesting concept, but makes sense from the cruise line's point of view. If you have the standard top sheet and blanket, not only does the top sheet have to be laundered...but the blanket also should be laundered between each cruise for sanitary purposes. But by using a Duvet (or even blanket) which has a sheet-like cover...they only need to launder the cover (much easier then washing a blanket). Since the cover on the duvet/blanket is made of the same fabric as the sheets, the passenger should be content. The only problem we see is that if someone prefers to just sleep with a thin sheet over top...then this does not work. In that case, just ask your steward for a top sheet.

Hank

I might agree in most cases...however, if your are a suite traveler don't expect much other than a larger cabin......there are really no perks other than the breakfast at sabatini's which is OK but really nothing to write home about. And the 2 hours they give reduced rates on some drinks along with some very inadequate appetizers. If you are traveling balcony or lower the experience will be more similar although I think the Celebrity ships are much nicer

Go for it. ;)

The two lines are more similar than different. We have been on 7 or 8 X cruises including the s class ships. We were on Regal twice in the last 14 months. We enjoyed it. A big complaint is balcony size...small. However with research you can go for rooms with extended ones. (There are no ocean view, only insides and balcony cabins. ) S class verandah rooms are larger. You need to book a deluxe balcony or mini suite on Regal for a sofa.

Lots of restaurant venues. No charge for a couple of those. Plus a huge buffet,grill , pizza bar etc. I'm a seafood eater and Princess offers lots. We found food very good. Entertainment is very good. Happy hours a couple times a day. Drinks less costly than on X.

There are little pluses and minuses for each. You won't be disappointed.

None of their perks compare favorably against other lines

princess has the best alaska and japan it's.

Princess goes to glacier bay as well as college fjord.

The only reason i don't cruise princess is i don't have loyalty perks there compared to rccl, x, or ncl.

We love Celebrity. We like to go on Princess for a change. We cruised on Regal this year and this is what I noticed:

The wine bar on our cruise had excellent service (quick, attentive, knowledgeable), better than any lounges on Celebrity. We spent a lot of time there because of this. The other lounges did not have good service at all.

The buffet is the nicest I've ever seen...so many choices!

Dining room (anytime) food and service were hit or miss. We had no problem getting a table after 8:30. Alfredo's was good.

You have to go to the shows at least 20 minutes before show time to get seats.

There are very few shaded areas near the pools for lounge chairs. The shade is taken up by tables/chairs. The adult pool outside the Sanctuary is very nice but that section always was too chilly/breezy for me.

The balconies are very narrow. Just like with Celebrity, you can get a great price on the obstructed balconies.

You mention 3 different lines but, on some of your comments it is hard to tell what line you are talking about

We love Celebrity. We like to go on Princess for a change. We cruised on Regal this year and this is what I noticed:

The wine bar on our cruise had excellent service (quick, attentive, knowledgeable), better than any lounges on Celebrity. We spent a lot of time there because of this. The other lounges did not have good service at all.

The buffet is the nicest I've ever seen...so many choices!

Dining room (anytime) food and service were hit or miss. We had no problem getting a table after 8:30. Alfredo's was good.

You have to go to the shows at least 20 minutes before show time to get seats.

There are very few shaded areas near the pools for lounge chairs. The shade is taken up by tables/chairs. The adult pool outside the Sanctuary is very nice but that section always was too chilly/breezy for me.

The balconies are very narrow. Just like with Celebrity, you can get a great price on the obstructed balconies.

Thank you for all the comparisons. It has been a while since we have cruised on Celebrity Princess and Holland and we also are having difficulty deciding which line offer the least decline in a traditional cruising experience. We are not into modern luxury but want to have a traditional wonderful cruise without the noise preferred by some cruise directors.

In your case, I would recommend Holland America. I think they are the most traditional of major cruise lines. Unfortunately, they're also the only major line remaining that allows balcony smoking, including cigars.

My biggest complaint about Princess is, the Ruby and the Caribbean were 2 of the most crowded ships I've ever been on. Regal wasn't bad in that regard...I just didn't like the ship itself.

The wine bar on our cruise Princess (Regal Princess) had excellent service (quick, attentive, knowledgeable), better than any lounges on Celebrity. We spent a lot of time there because of this. The other lounges did not have good service at all.

The buffet (Regal Princess) is the nicest I've ever seen...so many choices!

Dining room (anytime) food and service( Regal Princess) were hit or miss. We had no problem getting a table after 8:30. Alfredo's was good.

You have to go to the shows at least 20 minutes before show time to get seats. (Regal Princess)

Above is also in reference to the Regal Princess.

However, we found an area one deck up from the main pool and just to the rear of it that had many, many shaded loungers and also some adjacent loungers in the sun in case your spouse (like mine) still wants to sun bathe.

You mention 3 different lines but, on some of your comments it is hard to tell what line you are talking about

The Regal she refers to is Princess' newest ship.

My comments are in red.

Edited by chamima

They are our 2 favorite lines (to be clear, though, the Allure was our favorite ship). We started on Princess & fell in love with cruising. Just discovered Celebrity & are big fans (those included drink packages don't hurt...)

Celebrity--prefer food, but not huge difference

Princess--prefer entertainment & bands

But we would be happy to sail either at any point!

We like Princess, but as far as the shipboard experience is concerned, Celebrity is just a bit better in the most important categories. These are only our opinions, your mileage may vary:

Dining room food - Celebrity

Specialty restaurants - Celebrity except for steakhouse type

Steakhouse specialty restaurant - Princess

Entertainment - Celebrity

Service - Celebrity

Excursions - Celebrity

Suite class cabins - Celebrity

Suite passenger perks - Celebrity by a mile

Drinks - Tie

Buffet - Princess

Pizza - Princess

Price point - Princess

If you are going to Alaska - Princess by a mile.

I cannot argue about all .But excursions all cruise lines use same providers .Drinks are cheaper on Princess and price point - for my opinion Celebrity is cheaper right now.

WE love the mini-suites on Princess, especially on Regal and Royal with the curtain separating the bed from the sofa area. (only prob. was the small balcony) Celebrity balcony rooms (even AQ and Concierge) are a lot smaller than the Princess minis.

Also, no one mentioned the washers and dryers on every floor on Princess. Much cheaper and convenient than paid laundry on Celebrity.

We choose based on itinerary (only Princess has UK from London and r/t Panama Canal) and price.

We found the MDR's very similar.

Princess has the best Alaska and Japan IT's.

Princess goes to Glacier Bay as well as College Fjord.

The only reason I don't cruise Princess is I don't have loyalty perks there compared to RCCL, X, or NCL.

Princess Japan cruises are in the middle of the Summer, which is too Hot a time of the year.

As you can see from my signature block, I have sailed mostly on Princess and Princess is my first love. But I recently started to cruise with Celebrity (upcoming cruise in January on the Reflection for the 2nd time).

This is just my opinion. I believe the two are more similar than not. The things that stick out to me for Princess are small and would not make me decide not to cruise with Celebrity again. Love the pizza, do believe the entertainment is a bit better and I absolutely love the ice cream on Princess. But I can't stand the bathrooms on Princess. Tiny and you feel violated if you bend over and touch the shower curtain :) The bathrooms in the balcony cabins on Celebrity are excellent! Also, the standard balcony cabin on Celebrity seems to be similar in size to the mini-suites on Princess with the standard balcony cabin on Princess being smaller.

I don't find the food to be much better on Celebrity and agree with the buffet on Princess being larger with more selection.

Love Sabbatini's on Princess and feel the specialty restaurants are similar between the two lines.

We will continue to sail on both Princess and Celebrity as we always purchase future cruise credits on each line after each cruise. Great to have two lines that we really enjoy and we always have a great cruise vacation on either.

WE love the mini-suites on Princess, especially on Regal and Royal with the curtain separating the bed from the sofa area. (only prob. was the small balcony) Celebrity balcony rooms (even AQ and Concierge) are a lot smaller than the Princess minis.

Also, no one mentioned the washers and dryers on every floor on Princess. Much cheaper and convenient than paid laundry on Celebrity.

We choose based on itinerary (only Princess has UK from London and r/t Panama Canal) and price.

We found the MDR's very similar.

I forgot about the laundry rooms.

They are also VERY convenient if you find that packing has wrinkled something and you just want a last minute ironing touch-up as you're getting dressed.

I find the MDR on Celebrity to be way too noisy and busy to enjoy a meal there. (So we now will cruise only in Aqua class which gives us access to the smaller dining room, Blu)

Princess, instead, has 3 smaller dining rooms which make for a much nicer ambience.

Nothing original,just what others have said:

Glacier Bay in Alaska, a reason to go Princess.

We cruised with "Berty", an entertainer to be admired. He is an oldie, has a lot of great stories about Broadway performers. He plays piano, sings, audience participation is excellent. Really remarkable.

Finally, you can pack minimally knowing that there is a laundry facility on board.

Oh, yes, we also enjoyed a (free of charge) ploughmans lunch on board.