adjusting tips

megann831

Also, and I am going to ask this again, please forgive the repetitiveness -- but many of us are clearly concerned about ensuring that the behind the scenes workers getting a share of the DSC, and I am wondering how they were tipped prior to the implementation of the DSC.

Did people give the laundry crew envelopes?

Were they tipped out like waiters do for bartenders and busboys?

Was their wage higher to compensate for no tips?

Were they just out of luck?

What I am asking you is what would a guest do if they have a problem that isn't being resolved? Shouldn't the guest have some recourse if they DON'T get the onboard services they are supposed to get? I'm asking what your opinion or solution would be.

If it's about service and you're not getting the service you want then go to another line but no you do not have the right to know where the DSC goes to not even a little bit. Not even a teeny tiny little drop of a bit

Also, and I am going to ask this again, please forgive the repetitiveness -- but many of us are clearly concerned about ensuring that the behind the scenes workers getting a share of the DSC, and I am wondering how they were tipped prior to the implementation of the DSC.

Did people give the laundry crew envelopes?

Were they tipped out like waiters do for bartenders and busboys?

Was their wage higher to compensate for no tips?

Were they just out of luck?

I agree the anti DSC crew is very repetitive. Every other week there's another thread about this. Just relax and enjoy your cruise and have a great time.

If it's about service and you're not getting the service you want then go to another line but no you do not have the right to know where the DSC goes to not even a little bit. Not even a teeny tiny little drop of a bit

I think you are missing the point.

If I am ON a ship, and the DSC is mandatory and can not be adjusted, and the room steward isn't doing their job, what recourse do I have? How should the problems get resolved?

What is the GUEST recourse if they don't get resolved

I can go to another line in the future, but how does that resolve the service problems currently??? That's called a straw man argument since it does not answer the question.

I'm just asking, after I called house keeping multiple times, and spoke to a manager who assured me of no more issues, and there were still issues, how could I get that resolved?

What would you have done if the room steward wasn't servicing your room after you paid for the services?

If I am ON a ship, and the DSC is mandatory and can not be adjusted, and the room steward isn't doing their job, what recourse do I have? How should the problems get resolved?

I can go to another line in the future, but how does that resolve the service problems currently??? That's called a straw man argument since it does not answer the question.

I'm just asking, after I called house keeping multiple times, and spoke to a manager who assured me of no more issues, and there were still issues, how could I get that resolved?

What would you have done if the room steward wasn't servicing your room after you paid for the services?

That's odd I have yet to encounter such a problem so I can't answer that honestly. Usually when I ask for something it happens right away Norwegians very good about that. Though normally all I do is drink on a cruise so there's never really a chance for problems lol

I think it is funny, wink wink, how some collect state benefits because they don't work and use that to pay for a cruise.

I think it is funny, wink wink, that some file bankruptcy and don't want to pay their legitimate bills, but have no problem telling others how to spend their discretionary money.

Just things I find funny about money.

Wink wink wink wink wink

Exactly, love it when you post Arizona you usually bring common sense to the argument. Tbh I would feel embarrassed if I walked down to the front desk to ask for that form. On my last Cruise I talked to an employee on the ship and I asked straight up do you see a large enough benefit from the DSC towards the on-board employees and he said definitely yes. I asked him if he looks at the customer's you ask for the form differently and he said he still provides the maximum service but yes he does look at them differently.

I call BS on this fantasy you have posted.....a person would not ask for the form until leaving the ship.

You post that people have no business asking about the DSC and yet you are claiming you did....

I bought a house. I didn't know the salary structure of the carpenter, OR the bricklayers. That was arranged between the builder & themselves. Yes, I did ask for some upgraded finishings, so there were direct relations between my final price (base price + upgrades related to carpentry), but I do not know whether the carpenter got that full upgrade amount, or whether the builder marked it up for the additional work THEY had to do, project-managing and invoicing and quality controlling the upgrades.

It's a mystery to me. The house turned out awesome, and cost me exactly what I thought it would. I notice that the builder didn't immediately go bankrupt, so I imagine their carpenters were happy with the arrangement too. That's all I need to know.

Stephen

What has this got to do with a voluntary tip?

If to many people remove the DSC that could be the thing that makes NCL decide to just make it mandatory

If they did that then there would be a mutiny by at least the Philipinno crew because what I have been told is their salaries are taxable but gratuities are not. That would reduce their take home pay.

Your arrogance would show though and likely why employees would never have a honest conversation.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

I call BS on this fantasy you have posted.....a person would not ask for the form until leaving the ship.

You post that people have no business asking about the DSC and yet you are claiming you did....

The guy I talked to I have known previously from my last Cruise, the conversation started like this. Let me ask you a question, there's a lot of talk on cruise critic about the DSC do you guys actually see a difference and what you make with the DSC? I didn't ask him what he makes or anything like that I simply asked that question he could have told me to mind my own business but we talked about it for a little bit

The guy I talked to I have known previously from my last Cruise, the conversation started like this. Let me ask you a question, there's a lot of talk on cruise critic about the DSC do you guys actually see a difference and what you make with the DSC? I didn't ask him what he makes or anything like that I simply asked that question he could have told me to mind my own business but we talked about it for a little bit

The BS part is that he would not have a hot clue who had requested a form until after the cruise ended, so he would not have an opportunity to look at them differently.

I prepaid my DSC and have no intention of reducing it, but if i got piss poor service from my room steward I would consider it...most likely I simply would not leave the cash that I usually give. That is my choice as it is for anyone....

It seems contradictory that people feel it is ok to attack people who remove some or all of the DSC no matter the reason, yet on the same hand think that it is no one's businesses of how ships distributes the DSC.

NCL has made the distribution of the DSC an issue....by stating who is in and who is out....the only thing they have not done is to state what percentage of the DSC collect is distributed....I do not for a minute believe that it is 100% , my guess is that it is 80% at best. This is why some prefer to tip in cash to the people they receive services from.

When I go to a self serve gas station I do not tip, when I go to a full serve gas station I tip.....tip for service!

That's exactly what I did.

But some people here feel I should have received bad service and been forced to pay the full amount. It is the same people who state this that have no reasonable response to the question of what should a guest do if the charge is mandatory and service is bad.

If it can't be resolved NOW and the charge isn't mandatory, you better believe it will occur more often if the charge is mandatory

It's a Service Charge.

It isn't a "Good" Service Charge.

You got service and you should've paid your bills.

The BS part is that he would not have a hot clue who had requested a form until after the cruise ended, so he would not have an opportunity to look at them differently.

I prepaid my DSC and have no intention of reducing it, but if i got piss poor service from my room steward I would consider it...most likely I simply would not leave the cash that I usually give. That is my choice as it is for anyone....

It seems contradictory that people feel it is ok to attack people who remove some or all of the DSC no matter the reason, yet on the same hand think that it is no one's businesses of how ships distributes the DSC.

NCL has made the distribution of the DSC an issue....by stating who is in and who is out....the only thing they have not done is to state what percentage of the DSC collect is distributed....I do not for a minute believe that it is 100% , my guess is that it is 80% at best. This is why some prefer to tip in cash to the people they receive services from.

When I go to a self serve gas station I do not tip, when I go to a full serve gas station I tip.....tip for service!

I have not read any attacks from anyone on this thread towards the anti dsc people. Now the other side like to call us kool-aid drinkers and cheerleaders. Which side is really doing the name calling?

The OP did not complain about lousy service. She just didn't want to pay full tips for her child. This thread morped into something different.

I feel that small kids should be paying the DSC, because some one cleans up after them, someone cooks and serves their meals, and someone washes their sheets and towels.h

First of all if it was me I would not have called housekeeping multiple times, one request is enough. after that if the direct supervisor also did nothing I would talk to the hotel director directly. If still not resolved after that, and I do not believe that it wouldn't, I would take care of it shoreside with either a letter to corporate or by documenting everything and disputing part of the payment for the cruise. But I do believe it would be resolved on the ship

Wrong.....they have to refund back what a person requests, based on the word discretionary.

That's really funny because I'm sure you meant to use "demand" or "require" in place of "request". A company can choose to accept or reject...they don't "have to", based on the word request.

That's really funny because I'm sure you meant to use "demand" or "require" in place of "request". A company can choose to accept or reject...they don't "have to", based on the word request.

Exactly - and it takes supposedly 2 weeks to process the form but the actual refund (from what it sounds from those that tried to get the DSC amount) takes 3-4 weeks. Can't get any more discretionary (or is jerky, the more appropriate term) to those customers that want remove than that.[emoji57]

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk