Jumped Ship!

rilco33647

Well, we did it! After a lot of flip-flopping my husband and I officially canceled our Allure of the Seas 3/27 cruise and booked on Regal Princess (2 mini suites with DD and friend). We've never sailed on Princess. We're excited for the new adventure! Any advice for Princess newbies would be greatly appreciated although we've watched lots of videos and read lots of reviews so we feel pretty confident we 'get it'.

Well, we did it! After a lot of flip-flopping my husband and I officially canceled our Allure of the Seas 3/27 cruise and booked on Regal Princess (2 mini suites with DD and friend). We've never sailed on Princess. We're excited for the new adventure! Any advice for Princess newbies would be greatly appreciated although we've watched lots of videos and read lots of reviews so we feel pretty confident we 'get it'.

You will not find all the stuff on the Regal Princess as you would on the Allure. It will be a more classic cruise experience. Here is some information:

Boarding:

If you don’t mind waiting arrive at the pier around 10:30/11am. After check in you will be shown upstairs to a waiting area. Around noon boarding begins, priority boarders first, then general boarding by groups in order of arrival. You should be on board by 12:30. If you don’t want to wait arrive at the pier after 1pm. When you board go directly to your cabin it will be ready. No wheeling around your carry on. You are allowed to carry on one (1) x 750ml bottle of wine per person over 21 without charge for use in your cabin. If you bring that bottle to a public bar or DR you will be charged a $15 corkage. You can pour a glass in your cabin and walk around the ship with it. The muster drill is held indoors in the lounge areas on decks 6 and 7. Carry, don’t wear, your life vest to the drill. You will be instructed to put it on at the end of the drill. If you want a seat arrive 10/15mins early.

Dining:

Anytime Dining (ATD) may not work very well unless you like to dine very early, 5:30/5:45 or after 7:30. After 7:30 there are normally plenty of tables available. If you can get traditional dining I would recommend it. If you do have ATD you can call the DINE line for reservations. Reservations are normally accepted for specific times for example 5:30, 5:45, 7:30. 7:45.

One DR, normally deck 6 mid ship, is open from noon to 1:30 on boarding day. There is a limited menu. You can also get waiter served lunch at Alfredo’s (free) which serves pizza and other items. All the other venues mentioned below are also open on boarding day.

Free Dining

DR’s open every day for breakfast and dinner and lunch on sea days.

Room Service, 24 hours no extra charge except for pizza which is $3.

International Café open 24/7

Alfredo’s, waiter served pizza, calzones, salads & more, open 11am to 11pm. Walk in.

Wheelhouse Bar serving a pub lunch on sea days, waiter served.

Horizon Ct/Horizon Bistro Buffet area, one section or more open continuously from 5am until midnight.

Trident Grill and Prego Pizza by the Lido pool open 11am to 11pm every day.

Surcharge Dining

No pre-reservations. Make reservations on board by calling the DINE line or visiting the restaurant.

Crown Grill (Steaks & Seafood) & Sabatini’s (Italian) $25/pp

Crab Shack (buckets of seafood) served some evenings in a closed off section of the buffet seating area: $20/pp

Fondues also $20/pp and served probably one evening in the buffet area.

Ocean Terrace Seafood Bar: Menu priced items, no reservations, just sit down at one of the tables.

There are also special dining experiences such as the Chef's Table, Wine Maker's Dinner, and Balcony Dinner or Breakfast. If you want the Chef's Table sign up shortly after boarding.

Any other questions just ask.

Our favorite "hang out" on Princess is the International Cafe (it is on Deck 5) which is open 24/7. In the morning they have great fresh donuts/pastries and will make you a pretty decent egg sandwich. This is also the one place on the ship that has very good coffee...not to mention many espresso based drinks, teas, etc. Unlike similar venues on some other lines there is absolutely no extra charge for any of the food, but they do charge for the coffee/tea drinks. We suggest buying a "Coffee Card" on your first visit. This card has punch holes for about 15 items including the espresso-based stuff and teas...and can also be used to buy gelato. But another benefit is that with the card you can have all the coffee and/or tea you please without the card being punched. So for coffee/tea drinkers it can be a very good deal. While there is free coffee on other venues (lido, MDR, etc) it is only the International Cafe that has fresh brewed real coffeee :).

Hank

Our favorite "hang out" on Princess is the International Cafe (it is on Deck 5) which is open 24/7. In the morning they have great fresh donuts/pastries and will make you a pretty decent egg sandwich. This is also the one place on the ship that has very good coffee...not to mention many espresso based drinks, teas, etc. Unlike similar venues on some other lines there is absolutely no extra charge for any of the food, but they do charge for the coffee/tea drinks. We suggest buying a "Coffee Card" on your first visit. This card has punch holes for about 15 items including the espresso-based stuff and teas...and can also be used to buy gelato. But another benefit is that with the card you can have all the coffee and/or tea you please without the card being punched. So for coffee/tea drinkers it can be a very good deal. While there is free coffee on other venues (lido, MDR, etc) it is only the International Cafe that has fresh brewed real coffee :).

Hank

Just for information on the Regal the buffet coffee is 'brewed' from grounds when you fill your cup and there is a selection of tea bags. However, the coffee card is an excellent purchase for $33. Any unused punches can be used on the next Princess cruise, but the unlimited brewed coffee and tea option is for one cruise only.

Just for information on the Regal the buffet coffee is 'brewed' from grounds when you fill your cup and there is a selection of tea bags. However, the coffee card is an excellent purchase for $33. Any unused punches can be used on the next Princess cruise, but the unlimited brewed coffee and tea option is for one cruise only.

Yes, we noticed the new machines in the lido with real coffee beans showing on top. But the end product was simply awful with absolutely no flavor and reminded me of watered down Sanka (for those old enough to remember Sanka). But we thought the coffee in the IC was pretty good (a bit weak for my taste....but still good) and they do make very good Lattes.

Hank

as another poster has said the International Café is great. A lot different that RCCL pizza and sandwich place on Promenade deck.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2159061&highlight=ic

Posts 5 & 6

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2163384&highlight=international+cafe Post 7

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2163384&highlight=international+cafe&page=2 Posts #22 & 23

Edited by geocruiser

Our favorite "hang out" on Princess is the International Cafe (it is on Deck 5) which is open 24/7. but they do charge for the coffee/tea drinks. it is only the International Cafe that has fresh brewed real coffeee :).

Hank

Not exactly!

If either regular or Decaf coffee meets your needs you don't need to order any special coffee and there is no charge.

I was there every morning at 4:30 AM for three weeks for coffee,delicious apple and Blueberry turnovers and was never charged a cent.

The HC opened at 6AM

The early morning hours are great for checking EMail with our free minutes.

Howard

We love the laundromat available for self service washing vs sending it for Princess staffers to do. We splurged on the Royal and booked the Enclave (not to be confused with the Santuary topside); for us it was a nice treat to have an adults only retreat open until 10 pm where we could enjoy the large hydro therapy pool, heated tile beds and saunas which were great after a long any ashore. We don't have specialty coffee but do buy coffee cards for unlimited fresh brewed coffee at the various venues, plus you can also use it for gelato across from theInternational Cafe. If you don't use all the punches on the card you can use it on future cruises. Also love the passenger- photography hung down the halls across from the cabins - great fun! When we didn't hit the dining room we liked the Horizon Court buffet - big, nice selections,good salad bar area.

Hope you have a great cruise!

some more tips for Regal:

Regal has a gelato (sp?) shop and one punch of the coffee card is good for a three scoop gelato with toppings.

Also don't miss Alfredo's for fantastic gourmet pizza and pasta. No charge at Alfredo's.

Be sure to check out the Sea View Bar and the Sea Walk on the Lido deck, also, after dark, the dancing colored water show (or whatever they call it).

Regal is my favorite ship, and I am sure you will enjoy your cruise.

Edited by San Diego Ellie

Right now, Princess is featuring Norman Love desserts (mostly in the MDR). I have found them to be delicious.

Princess ships also have Twice Baked Goat Cheese Souffle. BEST. FOOD, EVER.

On a not so bright note, Princess uses 2 in 1 shampoo/conditioner. If you have fussy hair (I do). You may want to bring your own products.

Good Luck! After sailing on Allure, which by the way is an awesome ship, we moved on to Celebrity which is now our favorite line. We did do a Pacific coast cruise on the Sapphire Princess, but after the Allure and the Celebrity Constellation, we're done with Princess,but that's just my opinion. Likely you'll have a great trip.:)

You will not find all the stuff on the Regal Princess as you would on the Allure. It will be a more classic cruise experience. Here is some information:

Boarding:

If you don’t mind waiting arrive at the pier around 10:30/11am. After check in you will be shown upstairs to a waiting area. Around noon boarding begins, priority boarders first, then general boarding by groups in order of arrival. You should be on board by 12:30. If you don’t want to wait arrive at the pier after 1pm. When you board go directly to your cabin it will be ready. No wheeling around your carry on. You are allowed to carry on one (1) x 750ml bottle of wine per person over 21 without charge for use in your cabin. If you bring that bottle to a public bar or DR you will be charged a $15 corkage. You can pour a glass in your cabin and walk around the ship with it. The muster drill is held indoors in the lounge areas on decks 6 and 7. Carry, don’t wear, your life vest to the drill. You will be instructed to put it on at the end of the drill. If you want a seat arrive 10/15mins early.

Dining:

Anytime Dining (ATD) may not work very well unless you like to dine very early, 5:30/5:45 or after 7:30. After 7:30 there are normally plenty of tables available. If you can get traditional dining I would recommend it. If you do have ATD you can call the DINE line for reservations. Reservations are normally accepted for specific times for example 5:30, 5:45, 7:30. 7:45.

One DR, normally deck 6 mid ship, is open from noon to 1:30 on boarding day. There is a limited menu. You can also get waiter served lunch at Alfredo’s (free) which serves pizza and other items. All the other venues mentioned below are also open on boarding day.

Free Dining

Alfredo’s, waiter served pizza, calzones, salads & more, open 11am to 11pm. Walk in.

Horizon Ct/Horizon Bistro Buffet area, one section or more open continuously from 5am until midnight.

Surcharge Dining

No pre-reservations. Make reservations on board by calling the DINE line or visiting the restaurant.

Crab Shack (buckets of seafood) served some evenings in a closed off section of the buffet seating area: $20/pp

Ocean Terrace Seafood Bar: Menu priced items, no reservations, just sit down at one of the tables.

There are also special dining experiences such as the Chef's Table, Wine Maker's Dinner, and Balcony Dinner or Breakfast. If you want the Chef's Table sign up shortly after boarding.

We are new to Princess as well - very helpful information! Thank you for the thoughtful reply!

Please report back after your cruise! I'm on the Regal in April for the TA plus Baltic. I haven't been on the Regal or Royal yet, so interested in your take! :)

I will cruise with Princess or Royal (just returned from 26 days on the Vision), they suit my needs and personality. Emerald Princess 26 days Fall 2014, can't see any reason to sail with one line. I do like perks, Diamond with RCI and soon to be Elite with Princess.

I've been on Carnival, Celebrity, Costa and NCL and those lines don't do it for me. It is a personal preference, what one likes another may not! :D

Boarding:

Dining:

Free Dining

Surcharge Dining

/Wow....20 Princess cruises under my belt and you taught me a thing or two. thanks!!

New to Princess (well, next year), tagging on, thanks for the info being shared.

Question ... Am I right in feeling that Princess isn't making the kind of spasmodic, customer-unfriendly changes NCL has been doing on a near weekly basis for a while now? In other words, do you think the cruise I book for ten months from now will be significantly different from expectations by then?