Oceania Cruises Adds New Culinary Experiences and Other Cruise News

LauraS

Check out the latest Oceania news from Cruise Critic:

Oceania Cruises Adds New Culinary Experiences and Other Cruise News

Actually, the article is a bit off. DH is taking the Cuban Family Table Class in two weeks, available on the Caribbean Itineraries 2015 (Not 2016 as it states). There were 3 new classes offered starting with the 12/2 sailing, and 12/12 sailing on the Riviera.

Does not look like much. More interested in things to do off the ship than how to make breakfast. :(:(:(

Its just a combo of a shore ex with a class... grilling fish on the beach with Honduran's...does not sound real fun.... cooking in the third world... a Cuban breakfast...(like what do you fix before trying to cross the sea to the US )

It looks like a cooking-cultural meet and eat... Not real conducive to real culinary skill just a controlled awareness of how folks do things different.... and that might be a little more than some bargin for

It might make you feel good but it wont do much to make you cook better....

In my experience with the cooking classes (I have taken 5 on two cruises) they are not really "cooking classes" in the real sense of the word but more a chance to do a little work and eat a lot. I was really disappointed with the general level of the classes. Someone here last week said they were mostly about eating and I agree...

I know it is hard to hit a middle ground when you have a disparate group of people some of whom have taken Cordon Bleu etc courses and others who never cook. But I think they should make more of an effort to separate them out...

Maybe they could ask those with formal training to bring their certificates & charge more for a special cooking class for the upscale cooks :rolleyes:

I do believe the classes are meant to be a fun class where some may improve their basic skills not meant for professional cooks

I have not seen any Cordon Bleu classes that are $69 pp & last 2 hrs

This is a cruise not a professional cooking school

Edited by LHT28

Maybe they could ask those with formal training to bring their certificates & charge more for a special cooking class for the upscale cooks :rolleyes:

I do believe the classes are meant to be a fun class where some may improve their basic skills not meant for professional cooks

I have not seen any Cordon Bleu classes that are $69 pp & last 2 hrs

This is a cruise not a professional cooking school

Some of us who have gotten deeply into cooking and paid serious bucks like $500 a day to attend week or multi week or more professional level courses at Cordon Blu and the CIA we tend to get a bit wrapped up in the hype we have experienced in our culinary education.... For that I am guilty.

And No, Oceania doesn't have the facility or staff to teach on that level ( how many passengers would relish starting class at 6am and working non stop to 2 or 3 pm!!!

I do agree that the classes offered are better than 90% of what other cruise lines offer and a chance to have fun with other like minded folks.....healthy mix of wine people around a topic that's food related... is always fun. If taken that way they are wonderful entertainment with out expectation of emerging with some dynamic new ability.... Its a friggen vacation for gosh sakes.....

Husband came with me to pasta cooking class on our last Riviera cruise, and it was a cruise highlight before it even began to see him in apron and hat. This wonderful man, who has put up with me for 40 years, never ever cooks (although fantastic at laundry from our NYC apartment days when the laundry room was 28 stories down!)

It was a great two hours for us amateurs.