LAST STRAW! My Last Cruise With Norwegian!

You can use whatever silly analogy you like. The fact of the matter is that the deal changed after final payment. Nobody gets to decide for someone else the importance of the exclusion of elements of the vacation being axed after final payment.

Personally, I couldn't give two craps about this restaurant. But my value of it in relation to the OP is irrelevant. But it seems safe to say that OP has been watching NCL roll out changes in this manner for the last two years and has had enough.

If we must use your silly airplane analogy, then go with something like this. The airline books you non-stop and then, when you get to the gate, you find that you're going from LAX to SEA via JAX so you can have more time to enjoy the high quality view from the window seat which you can keep for $20 otherwise you can choose any seat in row 49, or as close to the can as possible.

Really don't care if you think it is silly or not, I was having a discussion with another poster.

The Getaway has the Cuban place Flamingo and Breakaway has Uptown burger, salad bar which is excellent.. And they both have Shanghai Noodle Bar.. All additional free dining..

I gotta say I am surprised by this, to build the "best" ship and you lose advantages of the away class..

Enjoy your cruise!!! Try and go in positive!

For over a year they advertised it as included with the cruise fare.

I will eat there and whatever the bill is comes off my dsc.

What does the DSC have to do with the venue not being complimentary?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A Real Bite.

Email today from NCL

Take a bite out of paradise.

The first- ever Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville at Sea has proven to be one of our most popular dining venues, offering favorites like Cheeseburger in Paradise and the Key West Fish Sandwich. To continue delivering the highest quality experience to our guests , the restaurant will now offer tropical menu selections on an a la carte basis starting November 28 th.

Thanks a lot NCL.

Reading the reviews related to the wait times, service and food quality during the TA and initial Miami sailing, IMHO, it appears NCL is not addressing the real issue -- the planning, management and ongoing operation of the venue but rather adding the fee in the hope the crowd will lessen and as another commented -- their profit margin won't suffer either.

Wonder if the Buffett licensing agreement permitted any input into this decision?

The fee structure won't correct true operational issues. Perhaps the new NCL and/or Buffett Margaritaville/Land Shark restaurant executives should consider secret shopping the venue or "going undercover".

I'm confused. It seems rather unfair to reduce what many people consider "tips" to those that earned it as punishment for a corporate decision. The room stewards, dining room and buffet wait staff, etc. didn't make the decision to start charging, yet you plan to basically dock their pay so you can eat at a for-fee venue without increasing your bill. Am I misunderstanding your intent? Excuse me if I got it wrong.

Wrong. The crew will still get their pay. Ncl will just not be able to get the funds for their pay from her particular dsc

Ncl pays their crew on a regular basis regardless of dsc reduction by a pax

It's only when a pax makes a complaint about a particular crew that the crew is penalized.... As in reduced so called "extras" for them....whatever that might actually mean

But I assure you they get a regular paycheck

If and when there are too many individual crew complaints then that gets addressed

Sent from my iPad using Forums

At least the Main Dining Rooms and the Buffet are free, just like in the old days, so why quit because there is another for pay option?:confused:

Apparently that may be changing in the future as well

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I just despair of NCL sometimes.

Almost all of the criticism here is of NCL changing this restaurant which was advertised as included to being chargeable. The fact that they are charging for a restaurant doesn't seem to be the main issue (look how few complaints there have been about Food Republic).

Then we went into Margaritaville on the TA, we all agreed when looking at the menu that it was a bit of a surprise that they weren't charging, and that they would probably change at some point.

Perhaps the only reason they didn't charge straight off was that it was in a place that has a free option of other ships, but by changing things so soon, and after advertising it as included for so long, NCL have once again shot themselves in the foot.

Personally, this makes very little difference to me, but I can understand why people are annoyed.

I'm curious to find out...was there something in particular there that you were looking forward to that you can't get at another venue? One place not being free would make this big of a difference for you?

The title is clear. This is the last straw, it's not just that Margaritaville alone going a la carte is the problem, the umpteen other changes since they booked combined are the problem, this one has pushed them over the edge.

The title is clear. This is the last straw, it's not just that Margaritaville alone going a la carte is the problem, the umpteen other changes since they booked combined are the problem, this one has pushed them over the edge.

I just find it silly what some people consider so important that it even could be the "last straw". It's a freaking chain restaurant. So many other options. But to each their own opinion. You don't see people complaining when they take a paid restaurant and make it free. So why aren't they allowed to do the reverse?

NCL is changing their marketing and business plan from the first true freestyle line to the first a la cart line. Some will like this as it makes them feel they are getting a rock bottom price and only paying for what they use, others prefer a more traditional cruise experience and will hate it. Its nice there are many choices so we can all find a line we like. The only fault I find with NCL is their implementation of new policies is abysmal.

NCL is changing their marketing and business plan from the first true freestyle line to the first a la cart line. Some will like this as it makes them feel they are getting a rock bottom price and only paying for what they use, others prefer a more traditional cruise experience and will hate it. Its nice there are many choices so we can all find a line we like. The only fault I find with NCL is their implementation of new policies is abysmal.
I totally agree, NCL doesn't seem to understand that communication is key. They have always been bad at communicating and continues in that way. If they would have said from the get go that Margaritaville was going to be an a la carte restaurant, they wouldn't have some angry customers. I think they need to regroup with their marketing staff and figure out where they are going wrong and find a way to correct it. I think the change was made because the restaurant was much more popular than they expected, so in order to cut down on the demand and to make it a revenue stream, they swung it over to the a la carte side. Nothing wrong with either reason, just that their decision of shooting from the hip, shot them in the foot.

I'm curious to find out...was there something in particular there that you were looking forward to that you can't get at another venue? One place not being free would make this big of a difference for you?

Truthfully, for *me* I can see it only making the Buffet more crowded or when at sea one MDR that is open more crowded as well as O'Sheehan's more crowded.

Bigger ship with more passengers and one less place to eat.

Harriet

At least they sent email this time...i am pretty sure that del rio made this new fee for our convenience!!!!

Did you receive e-mail? I didn't and sail in January.

Actually, it was never said that NCL sent out e-mails to the passengers to notify them of this. What it said was 'in an e-mail'. Seems that e-mail was sent only to the person who wrote the article! LOL

Harriet

Actually, it was never said that NCL sent out e-mails to the passengers to notify them of this. What it said was 'in an e-mail'. Seems that e-mail was sent only to the person who wrote the article! LOL

Harriet

I sail today and haven't received it yet.

Harriet

In one of the other threads discussing this, a poster who sails today said he received an email about this from NCL last night. Maybe the Everything Escape thread? Dunno...

Truthfully, for *me* I can see it only making the Buffet more crowded or when at sea one MDR that is open more crowded as well as O'Sheehan's more crowded.

Bigger ship with more passengers and one less place to eat.

Harriet

Given the throughput that Margaritaville was managing, combined with the fact that people will still be going there even with the charge, I doubt it will make any noticeable difference.

Given the throughput that Margaritaville was managing, combined with the fact that people will still be going there even with the charge, I doubt it will make any noticeable difference.

I hope you're right because for lunch there will only be one MDR open and that's open for lunch only when the ship is at sea, O'Sheehan's and the Buffet.

Harriet

At least they sent email this time...i am pretty sure that del rio made this new fee for our convenience!!!!

What e-mail? We are booked and not received any yet. The fee for Margaritaville isn't going to affect our cruise at all. Having fun with our friends away from the everyday trials and tribulations is what is going to make the cruise fun!

there used to be long lines on RCI for Johnny Rockets.. since they started charging..except for free breakfast.. there is no problem getting in.....it does eliminate the long lines

Edited by Host Star

The issue is not so much paying for a burger or nachos or fish tacos. It's what it says about a company that advertises something as included for over a year and then charges for it just after 1 full sail. NCL fails to plan and fails to deliver good customer service. Their solution to that problem is to reduce demand by charging money..... instead of any of the following...

• Plan better next time.
  • Add staff.
  • Improve kitchen efficiency.
  • Expand hours to spread out demand over more time.
  • Change service delivery to include a grab and go option instead of sit down.
  • Offer some of the food options at another venue (5 o'Clock somewhere bar, buffet, poolside station, etc.).

Edited by SeaWatcher65

A Real Bite.

Email today from NCL

Take a bite out of paradise.

The first- ever Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville at Sea has proven to be one of our most popular dining venues, offering favorites like Cheeseburger in Paradise and the Key West Fish Sandwich. To continue delivering the highest quality experience to our guests , the restaurant will now offer tropical menu selections on an a la carte basis starting November 28 th.

So does that mean the included venues like the dining room are not HIGH quality??? Edited by cruzsnooze