LAST STRAW! My Last Cruise With Norwegian!

I would like to know how many of you would be ok with buying a plane ticket only to get an email a week before notifying you that they are increasing the price $100 just because and you have to pay it or else you cant fly?
NCL didn't raise the price of the cruise fare. It would be like if the airline called and said they were now charging for a can of soda, which was free up to that date. If I was thirsty, I'd purchase it and if not, I wouldn't purchase it. It is my choice to spend the money or not.

I can understand that some are upset because it seems like some booked the cruise with the anticipation of going to Margaritaville, but now they have three choices. One would be to go and spend the money for a meal there or two would be not to go to the restaurant or three would be to throw a hissy fit at the restaurant in hopes of getting a meal at no charge. If enough people choose number two, NCL might (big might) readdress charging a la carte for the restaurant, but if enough people choose number one, NCL will have made a good business decision.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Don't want to hijack the thread, but when did they get rid of pot pie & tenders?

I was on the BA Nov 8th & they had both. Didn't have the tenders, but the pot pie was as good as everyone has said it would be; would hate to see it go :-(

The new menu on Escape was posted and there are lots of changes to O'Sheehans. Someone wrote these changes are coming to the other ships a bit later.

Edited by david_sobe

What's really happening here is We have Executives, making decisions trying to bring more profit and sustainability to the brand while trying not to compromise (that much) of the existing experience. It's called business and in all businesses there are always these kinds of growing pains.

They will keep increasing and cutting back until they find a sweet spot where bookings won't drop off. Basically piss you off as much as possible while still collecting your money. If the company does not do this then they can't grow, add more ships and new exciting partnerships.

The people who don't like it can go to Carnival / Celebration and the people from Royal / Disney / MSC / etc. will start to give NCL a try.

It's just the nature of the beast. It is what it is, stop complaining and move on.

If OP, or anyone else here for that matter, wants to complain, they should feel free. It's Cruise Critic -- the ups and downs of anyone's cruising experience. If you don't want to read about it -- then don't.

I completely understand the frustration of getting to the point that all the changes now amount to too much. Have a great trip, and enjoy whatever new line you decide to try out. I hope they treat you better.

I don't personally care about this venue, and wouldn't have bothered going even if it was free -- but I find the switch almost immediately after opening from included to charge, to be 100% inappropriate after advertising for a year that the venue was included with the fare. If someone thinks it's fine, and not problem, great for them. But I fully get it that many won't feel so happy about it.

I would encourage all of you to follow through. Cancelling your cruise and forfeiting the fare would be a dramatic show of your displeasure, but you're not crazy, you're just mad. So please, please, please write a letter to NCL after your cruise and let them know.

General complaints and compliments on social media have almost no effect; a specific gripe usually does, but all the complaints get lost in the statistics .... "our negative to positive comment engagement is now at 32%. Last month it was at 40%, so we are improving!"

I suspect that many of the people who protest here still have the same behavior when seeking out their next cruise: they choose NCL if it's the least expensive for their vacation time, and it goes where they want to go. This has to change. Even if you have to stay home, don't cruise NCL again after you have made your public proclamation.

Only you walking and actually not cruising again will make a difference. Write to them, tell them that, and then follow through.

I prefer to look at it this way...NO MORE LONG LINES!!!

AND an increase to the crowds at the buffet:eek:

We have loved the Flamingo and Uptown Grills on the 'away' ships as a way to avoid the buffet lines. Smaller number of menu choices but in a comfortable and quieter place to eat on the top decks.

A Real Bite.

Email today from NCL

Take a bite out of paradise.

The first- ever Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville at Sea has proven to be one of our most popular dining venues, offering favorites like Cheeseburger in Paradise and the Key West Fish Sandwich. To continue delivering the highest quality experience to our guests , the restaurant will now offer tropical menu selections on an a la carte basis starting November 28 th.

Thanks a lot NCL.

NCL didn't raise the price of the cruise fare. It would be like if the airline called and said they were now charging for a can of soda, which was free up to that date. If I was thirsty, I'd purchase it and if not, I wouldn't purchase it. It is my choice to spend the money or not.

You can use whatever silly analogy you like. The fact of the matter is that the deal changed after final payment. Nobody gets to decide for someone else the importance of the exclusion of elements of the vacation being axed after final payment.

Personally, I couldn't give two craps about this restaurant. But my value of it in relation to the OP is irrelevant. But it seems safe to say that OP has been watching NCL roll out changes in this manner for the last two years and has had enough.

If we must use your silly airplane analogy, then go with something like this. The airline books you non-stop and then, when you get to the gate, you find that you're going from LAX to SEA via JAX so you can have more time to enjoy the high quality view from the window seat which you can keep for $20 otherwise you can choose any seat in row 49, or as close to the can as possible.

Here you go - a link to the official Norwegian spreadsheet that shows you expected this to be complimentary. Maybe you can go to the front desk and politely explain you received no notice of the change and no opportunity to change your cruise choice and that although you used to like NCL, this kind of uncertainty in what you have purchased for an an inclusive experience has you concerned.

http://www.ncl.com/sites/default/fil...yer-102815.pdf

Try to have a nice time! I think cruising should be less about food and more about the stars at night, the sound of the ocean, the wind at your back, the cocktail in your hand - cheers!

-- but I find the switch almost immediately after opening from included to charge, to be 100% inappropriate after advertising for a year that the venue was included with the fare. If someone thinks it's fine, and not problem, great for them. But I fully get it that many won't feel so happy about it.

I agree.

It gets tiring.....since I booked my cruise(s) the amount of changes have been staggering.

Two increases of the DSC, room services charge, increase in the gratuities automatically added to your bill for drinks or food. Restaurants charging by the piece. Main Dinning room food available for a cost.

Hell they tried telling people that they could not take food to your room at the same time as they added the $7 fee for room service.

I have never sailed NCL before and at this point I'm not sure I will again...I will wait until the two cruises are over to make my decision...

OP have a great cruise...and ignore the trained seals who spout off.....

OP I totally understand it being the last straw for you with all of these ridiculous changes coming fast and furious, with no concern for what people had agreed to when they bought the trip in the first place.

Pay no attention to the rude people who are belittling you for being angry. Hopefully your experience onboard will make up for the issues you've had before you get on board.

Have an amazing cruise.

Well said! When we anticipate our cruise, part of our enjoyment is looking forward to all of the different experiences that will occur during that week that make it fun and special. Eating, drinking or laying in the sun....we want to anticipate ahead of time, enjoy while on board, and then relive the happy memories until we can cruise again.

Many of us have been avidly following all the details as the Escape was completed, news of venues came out, and then reading the experience of those who sailed on her these first couple of weeks. For those who were looking forward to what was originally offered, they have a right to be disappointed.

Hope you have a wonderful trip! Looking forward to hearing from you when you return.

If the food there is as bad as some have posted I doubt people will line up to pay for it. Right now it's probably a bit of a novelty but word gets out. Unless quality improves this may be a short lived experiment.

It gets tiring.....since I booked my cruise(s) the amount of changes have been staggering.

Two increases of the DSC, room services charge, increase in the gratuities automatically added to your bill for drinks or food. Restaurants charging by the piece. Main Dinning room food available for a cost.

Hell they tried telling people that they could not take food to your room at the same time as they added the $7 fee for room service.

I have never sailed NCL before and at this point I'm not sure I will again...I will wait until the two cruises are over to make my decision...

OP have a great cruise...and ignore the trained seals who spout off.....

You make an excellent point, one that illustrates what guests who made their cruise plans well in advance (2014/early 2015) have been dealt this year.

Not one or two changes to their initial reservation, but at least 6! :eek:

You can use whatever silly analogy you like. The fact of the matter is that the deal changed after final payment.

The problem with this statement is they will always be changing something after someone's final payment date. These ships run every week save for a drydock every few years, as a business, there is never a good time to make changes such as this... even on the same cruise, people could have a different final payment date and they can't go around checking when everyone paid as to whether it would be included or not. Like it or not, NCL has to just do it and get it over with.

What's really happening here is We have Executives, making decisions trying to bring more profit and sustainability to the brand while trying not to compromise (that much) of the existing experience. It's called business and in all businesses there are always these kinds of growing pains.

They will keep increasing and cutting back until they find a sweet spot where bookings won't drop off. Basically piss you off as much as possible while still collecting your money. If the company does not do this then they can't grow, add more ships and new exciting partnerships.

The people who don't like it can go to Carnival / Celebration and the people from Royal / Disney / MSC / etc. will start to give NCL a try.

It's just the nature of the beast. It is what it is, stop complaining and move on.

My question is why are they not trying NCL now?

How would adding a pay venue that was once free entice someone to book a cruise line they never tried?:confused:

Bill

My question is why are they not trying NCL now?

How would adding a pay venue that was once free entice someone to book a cruise line they never tried?:confused:

Bill

I noticed this poster used a lot of trending business buzzwords incorrectly. Brand sustainability has nothing to do with upping charges. And I'm certainly unsure how upping charges is reflective of company growing pains. Poster should probably stick to giving an opinion of whether a burger is worth an extra $6 or not when it was once free :confused:

Edited by duchesslt

I will eat there and whatever the bill is comes off my dsc.

I'm confused. It seems rather unfair to reduce what many people consider "tips" to those that earned it as punishment for a corporate decision. The room stewards, dining room and buffet wait staff, etc. didn't make the decision to start charging, yet you plan to basically dock their pay so you can eat at a for-fee venue without increasing your bill. Am I misunderstanding your intent? Excuse me if I got it wrong.