Nassau

ecormier

For us, the Melia has been the most relaxing and enjoyable excursion.

We take the van taxi from the pier and spend a half day at the Melia on Cable Beach.

We did go to the Blue Lagoon last year. That is a very nice place, but the ferry ride is long, so it is not as relaxing a day for us as Cable Beach.

Hi fellow cruisers we will be cruising for the very 1st time on 2nd April in celebration of our wedding anniversary. We are not into organised excursions so wondered we dock in Nassau on 10th April ( Our actual anniversary ) and wondered would we be able to just get off the boat and wander round at our leisure.

Is it safe to do so

Thanks in advance

Jean:):):)

This website is amazing cannot believe some of the tips i have picked up.

As the day in Nassau will be our wedding anniversary we may take a horse drawn carriage around the old time and stop for a drink and watch the world go by ( hopefully ):)

Not to discourage you, but please do some research on the horse drawn carriages there in Nassau. There has been a lot of publicity there lately with a lot of reports of them abusing the animals, horses dropping dead in the streets, over worked and they look thin and sick.

Here's the last report I remember seeing from there: http://www.tribune242.com/news/2012/nov/07/surrey-horse-collapses-and-dies/

Not to discourage you, but please do some research on the horse drawn carriages there in Nassau. There has been a lot of publicity there lately with a lot of reports of them abusing the animals, horses dropping dead in the streets, over worked and they look thin and sick.

Here's the last report I remember seeing from there: http://www.tribune242.com/news/2012/nov/07/surrey-horse-collapses-and-dies/

thanks very much for the info , i will look into that

Sure no problem.

Thanks so much. You take such wonderful pictures that I didn't want to miss any. I have been to Chankanaab twice and we always went to the left of the baby beach. I never saw the variety of fish you took in your photos, so I am assuming you went to the right. Is that correct?

Thanks so much. You take such wonderful pictures that I didn't want to miss any. I have been to Chankanaab twice and we always went to the left of the baby beach. I never saw the variety of fish you took in your photos, so I am assuming you went to the right. Is that correct?

We always snorkel at the snorkeling area, which is the long stretch of beach and there's the wall where you have 4-5 different steps to enter the water. I'm not sure what the right of baby beach would be because that's where the dolphins are located? :confused:

The ship docks right downtown. There are many shops and an ample amount of bars and restaurants. Bay St. (main shopping st.) is likely to be fairly crowded. I have been to Nassau many times and never had any problems with crime/danger although I wouldn't recommend wearing expensive jewels anywhere. There is a new, small brewery downtown (Pirate Republic). Many other places to go. You can take a cab or ferry to Paradise island where the Atlantis Resort (excellent but a little pricey) is located, or take the #10 bus (van) to Cable beach. Blue lagoon island is very nice also. Of late, I usually walk to Junkanoo beach (free public beach) which has facilities, booths selling food/drinks, etc. It's a good 10-15 minute walk past the British Colonial hotel and then past Fat Tuesday's restaurant.

The ship docks right downtown. There are many shops and an ample amount of bars and restaurants. Bay St. (main shopping st.) is likely to be fairly crowded. I have been to Nassau many times and never had any problems with crime/danger although I wouldn't recommend wearing expensive jewels anywhere. There is a new, small brewery downtown (Pirate Republic). Many other places to go. You can take a cab or ferry to Paradise island where the Atlantis Resort (excellent but a little pricey) is located, or take the #10 bus (van) to Cable beach. Blue lagoon island is very nice also. Of late, I usually walk to Junkanoo beach (free public beach) which has facilities, booths selling food/drinks, etc. It's a good 10-15 minute walk past the British Colonial hotel and then past Fat Tuesday's restaurant.

Thanks very much,that is really helpful