New Categories

Jancruz

FYI

IMPORTANT REMINDER-

RECATEGORIZATION ON R CLASS SHIPS EFFECTIVE 2017-

R Class Stateroom/Suite Category Changes Effective 2017 (As of sailing dates Listed Below)

REG January 7,17

INS January 6,17

NAU January 5,17

SIR January 4,17

Suites 8010, 8011, 8016, 8019 will change from category PH2 to PH1

Suites 8004, 8005, 8054, 8057 will change from category PH3 to PH2

Staterooms 8066, 8069, 7116, 7121, 7034, 7036, 7037, 7039 will change from category A2 to A1

Staterooms 6090, 6093, 6000,6001 will change from category B1 to A2

Staterooms 6074, 6076, 6077, 6079 will change from category B2 to B1

Jancruz1

No insinuation. Just underhanded.Very clear. A price hike that is not announced but just buried in their new booklets probably. I got no e mail or other announcements of this price hike. Could be they sent it to all their other customers but just not me. No fairness here.

You appear to misunderstand what is going on here.

The prices are not changing retroactively.

It is being announced that beginning with a certain date in 2017, future bookings for those cabins will be charged at the rate for the new higher category.

It's as fair as fair can be.

The only way such an announcement more than a year in advance could be considered underhanded is if one is trying to find ways to castigate the cruise line.

Jan is more aware than most of us of things happening at Oceania, and it's to our benefit that she shares with us. Thanks, Jan...

• 1 month later...
Sure looks like it. They have done it before and I am sure they well do it again. :(:(:(

Will you kindly provide an example of a Cruise Line, or any travel company, which handles the reclassification of accommodations in a manner more satisfactory to your way of thinking?

I've been cruising for 45 years and never seen it handled any differently.

More conspiracy theories: This couls be an underhanded price increase. I don't know if it is, but it could be. I don't like things that are underhanded. I don't know if this is, but it could be. Underhanded things are terrible. The cruise company seems like nice people, but I don't know. It looks like it could be horrible. I don't know what they're doing, but it's disgusting.

As a Regent cheerleader that "likes" Oceania, I feel that this is a very fair way of changing categories. It sounds as if you are not a fan of Oceania. I would rather see some category changes than high price increases. Giving advance notice is something that many companies don't do. I applaud them!

Seconded Travelcat2 - the category changes are a much fairer way to balance things, and definitely better than price increases across the board. It also makes it a little more likely that I may score a cabin that I value more highly than another, and for that I am happy to pay a little more than the bloke a couple of doors away. And you know the price when you book so there are no problems for me.

Just as an aside - Are there any less salubrious cabins where the category should drop?

...Just as an aside - Are there any less salubrious cabins where the category should drop?

I believe if any cabin begins to be difficult to fill, Oceania would reduce the category as an incentive -- the law of supply and demand. But, so far, it seems like that hasn't been the case.

Will you kindly provide an example of a Cruise Line, or any travel company, which handles the reclassification of accommodations in a manner more satisfactory to your way of thinking?

Reclassification of accommodations Just a nicer way of calling it a price hike. It may take me a few years but I will check every travel company and cruise line to see if they really do this or just announce a general price increase. Have a happy, healthy New Year. :):)

Just as an aside - Are there any less salubrious cabins where the category should drop?

I am not aware of any either

it may be just personal preference for some

Some do not like to be at the bow others love those cabins

some do not like the ones by the elevator banks etc..

JMO

This is an incredibly fair way of announcing a pricing change and increasing revenues. It will probably allow O to sell more guarantees and move them up to cabins that wouldn't have been an upgrade previously.

I much prefer this type way to increase revenue than for O to start nickle and dimeing like some cruise lines.

totally agree. I've seen this done by other cruise lines too and it makes total sense since they are usually popular cabins.

Nice of Jancruz to give the notice to the board - and there certainly is plenty of notice.

Absolutely agree with Stan and Jim (whose posts have been most informative and helpful to us as O newbies) that other cruise lines handle reclassification of categories in a similar way.

As a concrete example: Cunard changed all of their Q6 Grill Suites to Q4 Penthouses in April 2011, at a very hefty fare increase. The only printed announcement of the changes was an asterisk notation on the deck plans in their brochures for about a year prior, giving the date that the category change would take place. These staterooms were not redecorated and did not have any new amenities added: the day we ended our cruise on the Queen Victoria in a Q6, the next occupants embarking that same day paid the higher fare for the same space.

The only time that we've seen major cruise lines really publicize cabin changes is when they've added new cabins during a drydock, such as lanai staterooms or spa verandahs with added amenities.

An effective date of 2017 certainly seems like a reasonable timeframe for minor category changes to take effect.

Happy New Year to all!

As of today's date, Oceania has not updated their website and changed the color coding for the Penthouse Suites to reflect these changes. I wonder what they are waiting for?

Seems to me that if they want to make such changes they would also update their website for future travelers to make their plans.

As of today's date, Oceania has not updated their website and changed the color coding for the Penthouse Suites to reflect these changes. I wonder what they are waiting for?

Seems to me that if they want to make such changes they would also update their website for future travelers to make their plans.

I would be surprised if they don't do that. Even Holland America had deck plans for before "this date" and after "this date" so there were no surprises.

I would expect O to do the same ....hopefully.