Caesar salad

smilin jack

Just got back from a cruise on the Regatta. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed the Caesar salad. I asked if the recipe was in the Oceania cookbook for the dressing, they said it was.....it's not.

I hope someone here can help me out and post the recipe...I think it is the best caesar salad dressing.

thanks....

I believe that we got this during the Marina's maiden season.

Not sure if they are still using the same one now:

1. 2 garlic cloves, minced
  2. 1 teaspoon anchovy paste (found near the tuna fish in the supermarket)
  3. 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  4. 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard (we like the brand Maille)
  5. 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  6. 1 cup mayonnaise
  7. 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
  8. 1/4 teaspoon salt
  9. 1/4 teaspoon black pepper

A true Caeser will only have romaine - doesn't mean you can't experiment.

Nor will it have added mayonnaise since the classic Caesar ingredients (olive oil, egg yolks, etc.) already form the emulsion. The Regatta version does taste good but, it is not a true Caesar dressing.

Has to be Romaine lettuce or it isn't Caesar salad -- only pretend. There is a link between Romaine (Roman) and Caesar...which is why it is called what it is.

Should have croutons, can have chicken, must have parmesano shavings. Anchovies optional... The best one I ever ate was on the Regent Navigator so I asked for and got that recipe!

Bon appétit!!

Has to be Romaine lettuce or it isn't Caesar salad -- only pretend. There is a link between Romaine (Roman) and Caesar...which is why it is called what it is.

Should have croutons, can have chicken, must have parmesano shavings. Anchovies optional... The best one I ever ate was on the Regent Navigator so I asked for and got that recipe!

Bon appétit!!

I had always heard that the guy who invented it was named Caesar.

Sure enough, Caesar Cardini. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caesar_salad

Interesting

Donna

Nor will it have added mayonnaise since the classic Caesar ingredients (olive oil, egg yolks, etc.) already form the emulsion. The Regatta version does taste good but, it is not a true Caesar dressing.

You are absolutely right -that's the only true, original Ceaser Salad invented by a Mexican named Caeser Cardini. If anyone wants the recipe, I'll be glad to offer it! Arlene

From my name, you can assume that I love Caesar Salad, but I did, nor will I ever, have it on Oceania.

Yes, they do make it at the table, but both times we were in a specialty restaurant, the lettuce was sitting there and not being refrigerated. The amount of time lapsed was over two hours. Do you consider this acceptable - I do not.

From my name, you can assume that I love Caesar Salad, but I did, nor will I ever, have it on Oceania.

Yes, they do make it at the table, but both times we were in a specialty restaurant, the lettuce was sitting there and not being refrigerated. The amount of time lapsed was over two hours. Do you consider this acceptable - I do not.

USDA guidelines suggest that two hours is fine (2-Hour Rule: As always, perishable food should not be left out for more than 2 hours at room temperature (1 hour when the temperature is above 90 °F). Be sure to keep this in mind as the party rocks on — and when in doubt, throw it out. (Also see Transporting Food .)). More isn't.

Then again this is the line that cooks a chicken fully one day, doesn't serve it, tosses it in with the next days fresh chickens and cooks it all over again and then serves it to a guest.

Ron,

My experience has been that they DO make it tableside ... Perhaps they do some of it in the kitchen, and just finish it off in front of us? I won't argue that point. And even if it isn't the true thing, I think it's a great salad. I also have ordered it in the GDR where it definitely is NOT made in front of you.

I grew up in L.A. and my family used to go down to Ensenada for two weeks, twice a year when I was a teen. We always had dinner in the Tijuana restaurant where the Caesar Salad was invented ... I was too young then to compare what we had in that restaurant to what we have anywhere else! But it was wonderful.

Mura

Ron,

My experience has been that they DO make it tableside ... Perhaps they do some of it in the kitchen, and just finish it off in front of us? I won't argue that point. And even if it isn't the true thing, I think it's a great salad. I also have ordered it in the GDR where it definitely is NOT made in front of you.

I grew up in L.A. and my family used to go down to Ensenada for two weeks, twice a year when I was a teen. We always had dinner in the Tijuana restaurant where the Caesar Salad was invented ... I was too young then to compare what we had in that restaurant to what we have anywhere else! But it was wonderful.

Mura

Whether it's table-side is not as important as whether they are making it correctly (with olive oil and yolks vs mayo.

Whether it's table-side is not as important as whether they are making it correctly (with olive oil and yolks vs mayo.

LOL, as Jaques Pepin once said to me,

"emulsion is emusion" you don't stress over the fine print when you're serving 250 people.

LOL, as Jaques Pepin once said to me,

"emulsion is emusion" you don't stress over the fine print when you're serving 250 people.

And as Tyler Florence once said: "I hate the (Caesar Salad) recipes with mayonnaise."

Of course it's easier to use mayo and, as I said earlier, the O dressing tastes fine. But, "table side" food prep is not for 250 people. It is for a small group at most and the artistry of handmade emulsions shouldn't be turned into "paint by the numbers."

And for anyone who wants a really great mayo "Caesar" dressing, try making this one featured at Frankies Sputino in Brooklyn (and Manhattan): http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/06/frankies-romaine-hearts-with-caesar-salad-dressing-recipe.html

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Mayo may be an emulsion.. however the consistency, seasoning and assembly are very different . I had Thomas Keller once show me personally the importance and sequence of making a Caesar and why...

There is a BIG difference in the resulting product that results.. You can use Mayo to sub in béarnaise and Hollandaise .marginally...but the fresh lemon and the egg being married in a wooden bowl with garlic and anchovy paste and the quality of the oil... ( most mayo is made from regular cooking oil not olive)

Chef Pepin is mistaken that the 2emultions will be the same...I trust Chef Keller....who carries 7 Michelin stars....... acid and oil......there are a wide variation what acid, what oil,

NO MAYO............Stick to the recipe What O produces is what is in truth a "chopped salad"

I guess it would be safe to say that you don't consider O's food as good as many of us do ...

To each his own! It's your right to disagree. :)

Mura

I believe that the meals and foods one receives are with the exception of Red Ginger and Toscana is excellent bordering on outstanding and the best I have eaten at sea...

I have eaten around the world at places like LaPergola, Jamine, Tour D Argent, Aubreg du Ill, French Laundry, Charlie Totter, Guy Savoy and have received professional training with CIA and Cordon Blu......so I have a foundation to judge from

I cant throw rocks and anything Oceania classic chefs turnout...clearly better than 80% of the restaurant's on land...........Go try Carnival or Celebrity then tellus.....

I believe that the meals and foods one receives are with the exception of Red Ginger and Toscana is excellent bordering on outstanding and the best I have eaten at sea...

I have eaten around the world at places like LaPergola, Jamine, Tour D Argent, Aubreg du Ill, French Laundry, Charlie Totter, Guy Savoy and have received professional training with CIA and Cordon Blu......so I have a foundation to judge from

I cant throw rocks and anything Oceania classic chefs turnout...clearly better than 80% of the restaurant's on land...........Go try Carnival or Celebrity then tellus.....

I agree that one needs to look at the bigger picture. Oceania food, in general, is very good (in particular, given the size of the operation, its food budget and the supply challenges of a "moveable feast"). I've previously likened it to many of our local SF Chronicle 2.5 star reviewed restaurants (actually a very decent rating).

With the exception of nothing that compares to the NYT's favorite DiFara's pizza in Brooklyn, we are fortunate to be surrounded by all sorts of award winning restaurants at all sorts of price points. So, we temper our expectations elsewhere (even in food Meccas like Charleston) and are pleased to be well fed on O ships.

BTW, for the best Caesar salad we've ever had, we need go no further than our own kitchen. I'm betting that's true of a number of O fans as well.

It's not very likely that O will serve raw yolks to their guests; you may do so for yourself at home. They will "compromise" with mayo instead (and I am glad that they do :))

Also, if JP was good enough to be a chef to 3 French presidents, he is good enough for me (and Jacques is my favorite on O ships) :D

Edited by Paulchili

Without the yoke- it aint. Jaques has played with the recipe for his own amusement... but you cant, like ole'Flatbush said do it without a yoke, ....

its a flavored French dressing ( mayo/oil+spice+acid= "French dressing")

It iscritical that the yoke get infised with the garlic lemon andanchovies BEFORE you put in the oil... Totlay different and powerful difference that they enjoy in Point Richmond as well as Paris.... and it must be fresh ...to really work... the Egg freshness is really critical....as is the Lemon...

You don't screw with some classics...and call them the classic.... any chef working salad/garde would get his but kicked by his sous if he fudged the Ceasar with mayo.....