A few basic questions for first time on RCCL

pjo

Our family is going on our first RCCL cruise in less than 2 weeks. We are veteran cruisers, but on other lines. We have the main things covered (passports, set sail passes, luggage tags) but I have a few basic questions. We have 2 inside cabins in case that affects your answers. So I do not make any incorrect assumptions here they are:

1. Are shampoo and conditioner provided in the cabins?

2. Is there a hair dryer in the cabin?

3. Can soda cards be purchased easily as soon as we get on board or should I buy them now?

4. Do I have the option of paying the cabin bills in cash on the last night of the cruise or must it be charged to my credit card?

5. Can wine that we bring on board be brought to dinner without a corkage charge?

6. Are dinners in the Windjammer on the same level as the MDR or is the MDR better?

We are going on the Serenade of the Seas if that makes a difference. Thank you for any responses/advice.

Paul

Yes

2. Is there a hair dryer in the cabin?

Yes

3. Can soda cards be purchased easily as soon as we get on board or should I buy them now?

Yes, they can be purchased on board real easy!

4. Do I have the option of paying the cabin bills in cash on the last night of the cruise or must it be charged to my credit card?

I think you do but not sure how to go about that.

5. Can wine that we bring on board be brought to dinner without a corkage charge?

don't drink wine so can't help

6. Are dinners in the Windjammer on the same level as the MDR or is the MDR better?

I feel they are

have a great time!!:D

Edited by Debde

You can go and pay off you bill in cash on the last night...or anytime in between. You don't even need to give them a credit card, if you don't want to. They will allow your bill to get to around $500 before they want to you pay it down.

Yes...2 bottles per cabin (assuming all adults) is allowed. RCI doesn't do corkage fees.

The buffet is a buffet....I hate buffets...some love it. Some of the food is the same stuff as in the DR...but not all of it. You won't get the "good" stuff in the buffet.

Edited by cb at sea

We haven't cruised in the past 18 months. At that time, Diamond and above and also suites guests were given shampoo, conditioners, small bars of soap, etc (On some cruises, we've had to ask the cabin steward to bring it.) I believe there is a dispenser in all showers that contains a combo body wash/shampoo.

Yes...2 bottles per cabin (assuming all adults) is allowed. RCI doesn't do corkage fees.

Sadly for Australians we have different Terms & Conditions. This is a cut and past from the RCCL Website Terms & Conditions dated 11/6/15.

Guests wishing to bring personal wine or champagne onboard with them (either in their carry on or luggage) on embarkation day may do so, limited to two (2) bottles (no boxes) of 750ml each per stateroom. Only staterooms with at least one (1) guest meeting the minimum age to consume alcohol are eligible to bring bottles of wine or champagne onboard. Pier staff will inspect the bottles and if they appear to have been tampered with they will not be allowed to be brought onboard. When consumed in any shipboard restaurant, bar or dining venue, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of US$25.00. Guest’s sailing on a Back to Back cruise may bring 4 bottles, 2 will be stored by the ship and delivered to their stateroom the first day of the second leg of their sailing.

Something to remember when sailing RCCL Down under.:(

Edited by pippin10

...Are dinners in the Windjammer on the same level as the MDR or is the MDR better?...l

This is obviously subjective, but we found the Windjammer equivalent for certain items. However, there are some items (lobster, angus sliders, lasagne, escargot, etc.) that you will not find in the WJ. There are also items in the WJ (Mongolian BBQ, etc.) that you won't find in the MDR.

Edited by clarea

Our family is going on our first RCCL cruise in less than 2 weeks. We are veteran cruisers, but on other lines. We have the main things covered (passports, set sail passes, luggage tags) but I have a few basic questions. We have 2 inside cabins in case that affects your answers. So I do not make any incorrect assumptions here they are:

No. There is a dispenser on the wall of your shower that "says" that it is conditioning shampoo..............but bring your own. Alternatively, ask your cabin steward and s/he will bring you some. It's not automatically in your bathroom.

2. Is there a hair dryer in the cabin? Yes. You will have to hold down the button while you use it, but it should work just fine. It is in the top drawer of the vanity in the cabin.

3. Can soda cards be purchased easily as soon as we get on board or should I buy them now? On board is fine. You will actually get your Coke Cup sooner, since if you pre-buy, the Cup is in your cabin, and you can't access your cabin until after 1.

4. Do I have the option of paying the cabin bills in cash on the last night of the cruise or must it be charged to my credit card? Your choice.

5. Can wine that we bring on board be brought to dinner without a corkage charge? Yes.

6. Are dinners in the Windjammer on the same level as the MDR or is the MDR better? Usually the MDR is "better", but that is subjective. It depends on how and what you like to eat.

We are going on the Serenade of the Seas if that makes a difference. Thank you for any responses/advice.

Paul

*My* answers are in red above. :)

Edited by Merion_Mom

Sadly for Australians we have different Terms & Conditions. This is a cut and past from the RCCL Website Terms & Conditions dated 11/6/15.

Guests wishing to bring personal wine or champagne onboard with them (either in their carry on or luggage) on embarkation day may do so, limited to two (2) bottles (no boxes) of 750ml each per stateroom. Only staterooms with at least one (1) guest meeting the minimum age to consume alcohol are eligible to bring bottles of wine or champagne onboard. Pier staff will inspect the bottles and if they appear to have been tampered with they will not be allowed to be brought onboard. When consumed in any shipboard restaurant, bar or dining venue, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of US$25.00. Guest’s sailing on a Back to Back cruise may bring 4 bottles, 2 will be stored by the ship and delivered to their stateroom the first day of the second leg of their sailing.

Have you sailed with RC recently? Perhaps they just haven't updated your website. That happens A LOT.

Even on certain sections of the US website the terms and conditions have not been updated to reflect the removal of corkage fees.

I suspect that the AU website has not been updated. As US and CDNs we can book cruises from here sailing from Australia that clearly state the no corkage fees. I'm not sure how they could differentiate who gets charged and who doesn't. I haven't seen anything that specifically states that corkage fees will be charged on Australian cruises.

Also if you book a Caribbean cruise your T&C's will still show that you will be charged but once on the ship you will be like everyone else and able to enjoy your wine without corkage fees.

Its usually easier to buy soda package ahead of time. You will then have a sticker on your seapass card. Not sure but I think if you buy in port then you pay Florida tax. Buffet vs dining room is subjective. I prefer dining room. Don't know about wine. Hair dryer in room. Bring your own shampoo and conditioner. Dispenser has always been empty in my experience unless you are in a suite or in a higher crown and Anchor status.

....... each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of US$25.00.

This has been changed for some time now, there is no discimination downunder in this regard. The website is often not consistent with reality, but bring your wine & drink it wherever you want - no corkage on RC :D

Edited by mr walker