All inclusive or cruise?

Fnigro07

We are trying to decide if we want to go to western Caribbean where we haven't been yet(on a cruise) or do an all inclusive resort in Aruba (never been )

I have been reading not the best reviews for Falmouth,Jamaica (one of the stops) and not sure what to do!

If anyone knows any good recommendations for all inclusive this would help s lot

If you are certain that you want to do an all inclusive in Aruba, Divi AI is good. Amsterdam Manor also is very nice and they have an all inclusive. Most people who visit Aruba choose not to use an all inclusive. Aruba is much safer than most islands. You can easily go all around the island for sightseeing and dinners without having to worry. Just use the same precautions that you would at home. Transportation is so easy with buses and taxis. There are many fantastic restaurants. We have never stayed at an all inclusive in Aruba. We love going off resort for dinner. As for the cruise, I'm not a fan of Jamaica. We've done the western Caribbean cruise. Personally, I'd rather just go to Aruba, but that's just me :-)

Edited by Hatteras51

Jamaica isn't as great as they make it sound..

A cruise gives you a 'taste" of each place....Aruba is a desert island....it's flat, so not much rain or "lushness:"....so it's not the "tropical paradise" you might think it is.

Read a guidebook on the Caribbean...that will help point you in the right direction.

Jamaica isn't as great as they make it sound..

A cruise gives you a 'taste" of each place....Aruba is a desert island....it's flat, so not much rain or "lushness:"....so it's not the "tropical paradise" you might think it is.

Read a guidebook on the Caribbean...that will help point you in the right direction.

True, Aruba is a desert island, but the resort areas are beautiful. The windward side, which is the wild side, is fascinating. Many visitors visit the wild side each visit, and never get tired of it. It has caves, rugged cliffs, and crashing seas. The resort beach areas have calm waters or beaches with waves. There is MUCH to do in Aruba. It is out of the hurricane belt, gets very little rain, which insures great weather. Rain usually comes as a passing shower, mostly falling over night. The people are warm and friendly. Everyone speaks English, and no one bothers you when you are on the beach or in town, trying to sell you stuff. Aruba has the highest return rate in the Caribbean.

Edited by Hatteras51

We went to the Grand Palladium Montego Bay using an AI day pass on our last cruise. This is one place that we decided that we would probably come back to if we ever did AI. We had a great time there and in Jamaica. We talked with a travel agent while at the property who specializes in AI and she was saying that the Grand Palladium was a moderately priced resort and that they had recently just done a huge refurbishment. It was a great place to visit. The food and drinks were pretty good, though not fantastic. I would suspect about average for AI.

Obviously, with AI you are going to have all of your food and drink costs covered. This is unlike a cruise where you will have to pay extra for your alcohol. You can probably find an AI with airfare for about the same price or only a little more than a cruise if you usually fly in to the port.

Not sure why one would go to Jamaica on an AI and not leave the resort. I guess there are a lot of people who go there on a cruise and don't leave the ship. I don't get it, we have only been once on a cruise and had a great visit. When we return we will go off property. Though it would probably be an organized tour.

I would never do AI in Aruba. There are too many great restaurants in Aruba. If you don't want to pay resort prices for drinks, just stop at the duty free shop at the airport on the way in.

Edited by dioxide45

Usually cruise 1 or 2 x year but are choosing Aruba instead. Booked at Holiday Inn Great price and great location Reviews look very good Have stayed in other hotels but for less than 1/2 the price ,we are trying this. They do have inclusive but we did not choose that option Walking distance to all sorts of restaurants

Not going off property in Jamaica when staying at a resort is for safety.

When we stayed at what is now the Jamaica Grande Resort we were advised not to leave the hotel grounds after 4 pm.

Not leaving the resort and not leaving it after 4pm are two different things. I would not necessarily want to be out at night in Jamaica. Nothing wrong with taking a day trip somewhere with an organized tour.

Usually cruise 1 or 2 x year but are choosing Aruba instead. Booked at Holiday Inn Great price and great location Reviews look very good Have stayed in other hotels but for less than 1/2 the price ,we are trying this. They do have inclusive but we did not choose that option Walking distance to all sorts of restaurants

You will love the Holiday Inn in Aruba - we stayed there last March (our 2nd time). It's much nicer now that they have renovated!

I would never suggest all inclusive in Aruba - especially in the Palm Beach area. Way too many good restaurants!

Just returned from a cruise that included Aruba. We did a private tour that was pretty extensive and saw a lot of the island, now we want to go back and stay a while. That's the best part of cruising for us, finding places we like and returning when we can.

Have to agree with some of the posters, went to Jamaica on a cruise, have no interest in returning. Different strokes for different folks as it were.;)

• 2 weeks later...