Internet Connection in Cabin

lukesgrammie

I wouldn't count on the Wi-Fi being any better in that cabin due to it's proximity to the bridge. It's not close enough to make a difference...even if they were on the same Wi-Fi network as that used by passengers, which I would doubt.

We experienced the worst Wi-Fi ever on the Emerald TA in September/October of this year in C709. I couldn't connect my iPad Air 2 when standing right under the wireless access point in the hallway!

Hope your Wi-Fi experience is better than mine...

xxSignature_zpsh7o3rsok.jpg

Ummm....the bridge has nothing to do with the wifi onboard the ship.

One of those big, oversize golfball looking enclosures on the top deck houses the satellite equipment that communicates between the satellite and the ship's network equipment.

The network equipment interacts with the satellite and then 'translates' the data for inbound and outbound internet data to the wifi on the ship.

Wifi is distributed throughout the ship via cabling to wifi 'access points' that are (supposedly) located for best coverage. This means that, theoretically, you could have a great connection on the lowest deck.

All of this is predicated on the premised that the system is properly maintained by skilled IT personnel. Anecdotal information would suggest otherwise.

On all our trips we never seem to get decent coverage in our cabin compared to the Piazza or any other central location. I usually use their hard wired computers or go to the Piazza with my tablet. It gets frustrating waiting for a page to load especially if you're paying by the minute.

We are going to be in C107 on the Emerald. My husband commented that "maybe" the internet connection will be a little stronger since we are that close to the bridge?

The bridge has nothing to do with it. :)

As stated if you look on the ceiling as you walk through the passageways you will see the white Cisco WiFi access points at intervals along the ceilings. This is where the signal comes from. Because you are near one does not mean it will work any better. :(

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Was also on the Emerald from September 26 - October 17. Wifi in our cabin was terrible and the access point was only 20 feet down the hallway. Good Luck.

On coral, I could only get wifi with the cabin door open.

The steward showed me where the access point was in

the hallway ceiling -- as it was a common complaint.

(It's not a secret, you just have to look.

I think your wi-fi signal strength is dependent on how

close you are to an access point, not to the bridge.

I wouldn't count on the Wi-Fi being any better in that cabin due to it's proximity to the bridge. It's not close enough to make a difference...even if they were on the same Wi-Fi network as that used by passengers, which I would doubt.

We experienced the worst Wi-Fi ever on the Emerald TA in September/October of this year in C709. I couldn't connect my iPad Air 2 when standing right under the wireless access point in the hallway

xxSignature_zpsh7o3rsok.jpg

I was on that same cruise (Emerald) and no connection in room at all. Terrible slow connection right at the Internet room. Good luck, probably better when no so far out?

When we were on Emerald last year the wifi in our cabin was marginal at best, I could get connection in certain parts of the cabin with my notebook computer (like at the foot of the bed, or if the cabin door was open), and my wife had even more trouble with her Kindle Fire tablet.

On the Island (before the latest reno), I could only get wifi sitting on the floor, at the end of the bed nearest the door, facing sideways. Of course that was a Panama Canal crossing and we were in the midst of nowhere most of the time.

On the Ruby, in October, the wifi in our room was much better. Not great -- not like home -- but we could access it while sitting or lying on the bed, without additional contortions. That was a 7 day to Mexico from LA, where we were mostly not far from shore. Does the ship's position make a difference?

I was on that same cruise (Emerald) and no connection in room at all. Terrible slow connection right at the Internet room. Good luck, probably better when no so far out?
Connection to the internet has to do with satellite coverage, not wireless coverage within the ship. There are areas at sea with poor satellite coverage during a TA, and on other cruises. On our last TA cruise I was able to access the ship's wifi just fine to get the events of the day, whilst at the same time had no Internet access.

I meant Internet connectivity, of course. Sorry I used the wrong term.

Rephrased, then, The ability to go online -- to check email, Facebook, CCL stock[emoji47], whatever, does depend on where in the ocean the ship happens to be? So that ability will always be better when close to land?

We're booked on a 15 day TA leaving 12/3/16 from Rome. That gives us almost a year to get accustomed to the fact that we will have poor or no internet at least on the Atlantic sea days.

Thanks, Times Prince!

Prop your stateroom door open and enjoy the great connection to the WiFi.

If only...

On coral, my cabin was next to an electrical closet.

From time-to-time, something would turn on, and wipe out all

signal. Door open. Door closed. No difference.

Also, my cabin was at a jog in the hallway.

So many people went by and stared in that I checked to

make sure I had remembered to wear pants that day...

If only...

On coral, my cabin was next to an electrical closet.

From time-to-time, something would turn on, and wipe out all

signal. Door open. Door closed. No difference.

Also, my cabin was at a jog in the hallway.

So many people went by and stared in that I checked to

make sure I had remembered to wear pants that day...

Lol

Connection to the internet has to do with satellite coverage, not wireless coverage within the ship. There are areas at sea with poor satellite coverage during a TA, and on other cruises. On our last TA cruise I was able to access the ship's wifi just fine to get the events of the day, whilst at the same time had no Internet access.

Regardless of the satellite coverage to the ship there are also areas on the ship where the internal signal has trouble reaching. As it would/could even on a land setup as well.

Edited by Colo Cruiser