Newbie with disability concerns

Teach me

Hello, I am a newbie cruiser and I will be traveling on the Carnival Victory with my family to Nassau. I have 2 daughters, one is 18 and one is 21. My 21 year old is in a wheelchair (CP) , but beyond not being able to walk she is a normal 21 year old. My question is.... Does anyone know how accessible things will be from ship to shore and milling about in Nassau? Would we be ok to bring power chair or would we be better off with manual foldable chair? My husband would be toting her for transfers if we bring foldable chair of course. We would prefer her to be able to enjoy everything without having to rely on someone else. Makes her feel better to be independent.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. There is a board here for Disabled Cruising under Special Interest Cruises. Lots of discussions there about accessibility in ports. In Nassau, getting off the ship and to the port is not a problem, but I think curb cuts might be a problem. And steps up into shops. You might ask on the Ports of Call board for Bahamas, although they may refer you back to the Disabled board. Here is a website (yes, they are promoting their excursions) that discusses accessibility in Nassau:

http://www.accessiblecaribbeanvacations.com/nassau-bahamas-disabled-access

You might also look at Google Earth street view for Nassau.

EM

Edited by Essiesmom

As a disabled person, I understand your concerns. My advice is to bring both. I hope you have an accessible cabin because a regular cabin will not work with a power wheelchair. Cabin doors are notoriously narrow, and you cannot leave the power wheelchair in the hallway as it blocks access for others who may have scooters, walkers or wheelchairs. There will also be a 4 to 5 inch step into the bathroom in a regular cabin. You will probably need a wheel in shower, and those are only found in accessible cabins.

I would use the power wheelchair on the ship and take the manual chair off the ship for tours.

Sounds like you will need a fully HC cabin...not something that has been "modified"....you'll want a roll-in shower, grab bars, no thresholds to the bathroom or balcony, etc...

The ship is fairly accessible....but ports...not so much. Get a guidebook, so you'll know what to expect! If you have to tender at any ports...that might be a "no go".

Nassau has cobblestone streets and sidewalks. I have seen people in both types of chairs getting around the town with ease. The only consideration would be if you wanted to go onto the beach; not sure if a power chair would be able to navigate the sand.

On our recent cruise the cruiseline, had these modified chairs with special wheels that worked in sand, they had staff to help with these or families could use them on their own.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello, I am a newbie cruiser and I will be traveling on the Carnival Victory with my family to Nassau. I have 2 daughters, one is 18 and one is 21. My 21 year old is in a wheelchair (CP) , but beyond not being able to walk she is a normal 21 year old. My question is.... Does anyone know how accessible things will be from ship to shore and milling about in Nassau? Would we be ok to bring power chair or would we be better off with manual foldable chair? My husband would be toting her for transfers if we bring foldable chair of course. We would prefer her to be able to enjoy everything without having to rely on someone else. Makes her feel better to be independent.

Other than any cruise port built by the cruise line, port terrain is difficult on two feet, way worse for wheels. Sidewalk are uneven, poorlym maintained, very narrow, curb cuts non existent and accessible bathrooms very rare. Bring the manual chair and some muscles and you will be good to go.