AA Announces Premium Economy

SelectSys

First US airline, I think, to embrace the concept for international flights. I will be curious to see the pricing of the product.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/premiumeconomy.jsp?anchorLocation=DirectURL&title=premiumeconomy

I wonder if main cabin extra will be removed from international aircraft.

Edited by SelectSys

Everything I saw said that Main Cabin Extra will remain. So, in some cases, such as the 77Ws, you may have First + Business + PE + MCE + Economy. Kind of crazy.

My fear, which is almost certain to be reality, is that Premium Economy ticket would need to be purchased in order to use an upgrade in to Business.

Nevertheless, the PE looks nice and it's good to see my airline of choice doing something new in the US airline market!

oops, didn't see it when I looked. I may need new glasses!

Everything I saw said that Main Cabin Extra will remain. So, in some cases, such as the 77Ws, you may have First + Business + PE + MCE + Economy. Kind of crazy.

My fear, which is almost certain to be reality, is that Premium Economy ticket would need to be purchased in order to use an upgrade in to Business.

Nevertheless, the PE looks nice and it's good to see my airline of choice doing something new in the US airline market!

Happy to MCE will remain as I am tall and my company does not pay for business class tickets except for international flights.

Your assumption on upgrade path is correct I would bet - only one class upgrade.

Edited by SelectSys

Main discussion thread on FT - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1730252-aa-announces-9-dec-2015-premium-economy-pey-coming.html

Nobody knows the disposition of MCE nor of any upgrade protocols, although, being Flyertalk, there's no shortage of doom/gloom/euphoria present among the guessers. Remember, this will only affect certain widebodies and not domestic equipment/flights.

Sounds like Delta might be close to making a similar announcement. http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2015/12/09/delta-premium-economy-rumor/

Edited by Gardyloo

Main discussion thread on FT - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1730252-aa-announces-9-dec-2015-premium-economy-pey-coming.html

Nobody knows the disposition of MCE nor of any upgrade protocols, although, being Flyertalk, there's no shortage of doom/gloom/euphoria present among the guessers. Remember, this will only affect certain widebodies and not domestic equipment/flights.

[/url]

My own thought is that MCE would be eliminated. Of course if they kept it, it would be a unique offering in the industry - 5 different seat pitches on an aircraft. I personally like MCE as I really don't care about the food/drinks offered in a higher class of service, I just need a bit of legroom to be comfortable. We'll see...

Recently flew AF in Business on an A380. During the flight, went back and tried the PE seat. Quite acceptable upgrade over coach, though still not like having a bed. I wonder if DL will be using the AF seating or something else.

I haven't done the AF PE, but have been privy to the NZ PE before and that's an excellent PE product. Beats any other PE I've been in (which is basically NZ, QF, and BA)

My own thought is that MCE would be eliminated. Of course if they kept it, it would be a unique offering in the industry - 5 different seat pitches on an aircraft. I personally like MCE as I really don't care about the food/drinks offered in a higher class of service, I just need a bit of legroom to be comfortable. We'll see...

Not that unique.

For Air Canada mainline on international flights they have:

- International Business Class

- Premium Economy

- Preferred Seating Economy

- Economy

For Air Canada Rouge on international flights they have:

- Rouge Premium (Premium Economy)

- Rouge Plus (Preferred Seating Economy)

- Economy

The Preferred seats are primarily bulkheads and emergency exit rows. Fairly limited. The Rouge flights have a dedicated area at the front of the cabin.

Good American is doing this. The US Airlines are in catch up mode to where the rest of the airlines in the industry are going.

Recently flew AF in Business on an A380. During the flight, went back and tried the PE seat. Quite acceptable upgrade over coach, though still not like having a bed. I wonder if DL will be using the AF seating or something else.

AA picture of PE on the website is a little misleading in my understanding. Only the bulkhead has leg extensions, all other rows have foot rests that are on the row in front of you.

Not that unique.

The Preferred seats are primarily bulkheads and emergency exit rows. Fairly limited. The Rouge flights have a dedicated area at the front of the cabin.

To me what you describe for AC seems different. MCE is a set of contiguous rows with different seat pitches and in some cases, like the 777-300ER, different widths. Charging extra for a emergency row or bulkhead seems to be more of a "one off" type of deal. Just my opinion.

To me what you describe for AC seems different. MCE is a set of contiguous rows with different seat pitches and in some cases, like the 777-300ER, different widths. Charging extra for a emergency row or bulkhead seems to be more of a "one off" type of deal. Just my opinion.

The AC Premium Economy is a wider seat, better wine, a business class meal I think it is identical to what American is proposing.

This is a slightly better video showing what it is like:

Edited by em-sk

The AC Premium Economy is a wider seat, better wine, a business class meal I think it is identical to what American is proposing.

This is a slightly better video showing what it is like:

Yes, I was comparing AA MCE with the AC preferred seats in coach not the premium economy offerings.

Sounds like Delta might be close to making a similar announcement. http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2015/12/09/delta-premium-economy-rumor/

When is flyertalk NOT all doom and gloom? EVERY change an airline makes is met with page upon page of end of the world as we know it posts. :rolleyes: