Photos/Ships Photographers

wishIwascruising

One thing I recently learned on the Ultimate Ship Tour (Nov. 2015) on the Coral was that in the near future (how soon?) the photos that the cruise photographers take (formal & informal) will be available to view in our rooms on our TV Screens. The passengers could then select the ones they want printed. That should reduce some costs, don't know if that will be passed on to the passengers but we could hope.

I think it is cool that they will not have to print thousands of photographs, the vast majority of which, I assume, are discarded since they weren't purchased.

I'm thinking, though, that if I'm reviewing pics on the TV in my cabin, I really don't want to sift through the thousands of pictures that don't have me or my wife in them. So, when you are photographed--on formal night, or at a port or in a restaurant--the photographer will have to, somehow, attach your cabin number to the picture(s) he/she has just taken so that only your pictues are fed to the TV in your cabin. This just seems more time consuming. I suppose they could swipe my key card though some sort of reader that is linked to the photography system. I have no idea if such a thing exists.

Does anybody have any insight into the workings of this?

Royal Caribbean has facial recognition softwear. Every picture that has your face in it winds up in both your print folder and online folder. We had one that was of another family, but we were on the edge, so it went to our file. That was in 2011

Royal Caribbean has facial recognition softwear. Every picture that has your face in it winds up in both your print folder and online folder. We had one that was of another family, but we were on the edge, so it went to our file. That was in 2011

Very cool. I hadn't thought of that. My excuse is that I'm old. :eek:

Thank you.

The question was asked to the Photography staff about that very thing and I think the response was that each picture would have an identifying number on it (perhaps your stateroom number). You would ONLY be viewing your photos from the TV in your stateroom. It would also include photos on & off the ship at Ports of Call etc.

Sounds like Disneyland. Get your photo pass card, check out your photos and buy what you like :)

I'm positive there will be no savings passed on to us, but I like the idea of not wasting and waiting till the end to see which photos I like best

There are at least 4 ways I could think of to do it automatedly,, the two most likely either being scanning your cruise card after a photo or (more likely since it requires no equipment on the camera) facial recognition.

The other options are more manual or more expensive such as asking a cabin number and using a wifi device or... actually #4 wouldn't work without an RFID style key.

I think it is cool that they will not have to print thousands of photographs, the vast majority of which, I assume, are discarded since they weren't purchased.

I'm thinking, though, that if I'm reviewing pics on the TV in my cabin, I really don't want to sift through the thousands of pictures that don't have me or my wife in them. So, when you are photographed--on formal night, or at a port or in a restaurant--the photographer will have to, somehow, attach your cabin number to the picture(s) he/she has just taken so that only your pictues are fed to the TV in your cabin. This just seems more time consuming. I suppose they could swipe my key card though some sort of reader that is linked to the photography system. I have no idea if such a thing exists.

Does anybody have any insight into the workings of this?

DCL uses a combination of a key card swipe before the photo is taken and facial recognition. And when they went to this system, the prices of the photos went UP.

Photos can be viewed from any of the photo kiosks around the ship. You can indicate what you would like to have printed and in what size. THey also offer a CD that contains all your photos; these are "unlocked" so they can be printed at any photo outlet.

Edited by moki'smommy

Princess is finally updating its pax information systems while a lot of the rest of the world did it years ago. Online viewing of your folio, ordering room service, seeing your princess account, viewing pictures etc should be available in every state room. Having the patter on the TV or your computer screen is really nice.

Hi All

Nice enough idea, but do not want and never buy any photos, they have caused

so much annoyance over the years, will never forgive them.

But good to know that tv systems are being up graded and Princess is looking

at what IT can bring to the party.

yours Shogun

I don't know about other Princess ships lately but on the Royal recently the photographers have really become annoying when exiting the ship. They're now setting up their photo spot to force everyone to exit through their setup without any easy way around them. (like the old days). It caused backups for everyone on the gangway waiting your turn - if you wanted it taken or not. :mad:

From what I understand, more of their income has been shifted to sales based...

I was able to jump over the side of the gangway to avoid them in a couple of ports.

They were pretty bad in the DR onboard the Island last month.

Probably the worst I have seen in quite awhile. :rolleyes:

I was able to jump over the side of the gangway to avoid them in a couple of ports.

They were pretty bad in the DR onboard the Island last month.

Probably the worst I have seen in quite awhile. :rolleyes:

Getting off in Aruba they had ropes set up so you could hardly get around them but I managed to push by behind one of the pirates & step on one of his hats in the process.

On board they weren't a pushy. If you told them NO they moved on to the next sucker.

Viewing your photos in your cabin is a great idea, saving staff a lot of work. It would also clear the congestion in the photo gallery.

I do empathize with the photographers at the bottom of the gangway having so many knock backs, as I always decline. I do however buy a formal portrait each cruise.

Even though we no longer buy any of the pics, I have never been disturbed by the photographers. They are just doing their job, and I have never found them to be discourteous, It is pretty easy for me to smile, let them take a pic and move on, or, if in a restaurant, let them move on. That being said, on embarkation on our last cruise, we did walk around the picture set-up. There was a fairly large, multi-generational family ahead of us, and getting them all organized was pretty hilarious.:rolleyes:

Hi

Once when leaving the MDR I was pulled to one side by a photographer and held firmly against my protests that I did not want any photos, after an exchange of words he let go off me, I reported the incident to the PSD at that time and wrote a letter to head office, I got a very nice apology from a Vice President of Princess,

I noticed since then I have near seen a photographer man handle any passenger.

yours Shogun

Hi

Once when leaving the MDR I was pulled to one side by a photographer and held firmly against my protests that I did not want any photos, after an exchange of words he let go off me, I reported the incident to the PSD at that time and wrote a letter to head office, I got a very nice apology from a Vice President of Princess,

I noticed since then I have near seen a photographer man handle any passenger.

yours Shogun

I agree completely, Shogun. That person's actions were inexcusable, and, as a Princess customer I appreciate the fact that you took the time to bring the incident to Princess' attention so that they could address it.