Cruising with a selfie stick

Revdoll

We are leaving on our next cruise on Jan 7th. On previous cruises I have seen people using selfie sticks on board. I've seen some pictures people have taken with selfie sticks and the pictures seem to turn out nice.

I've been thinking of maybe getting one for this upcoming cruise. But I've notice that some places like amusement parks and sports events have a ban against them. The articles I've read never really give a clear reason why they ban them.

Also, I've heard some people make negative comments about people who use selfie sticks. Not sure why some people have negative views on selfie sticks. Does Carnival ban selfie sticks?

Not to my knowledge. I've brought my GoPro with a "selfie stick" on multiple cruises with no comments made. I think those that make comments are simply jealous that they do not have access to it and have to consistently ask those around them to take photos of them and their traveling partners.

The reason people have problems with selfie sticks is because they are essentially a long pole that people walk around with that can be swung at a moments notice. (Imagine someone walking around holding a golf club out).

Far too many people have them sticking out while walking (or running) and swing them into other people. I work with the public and have seen far too many overly excited teenagers bash someone else with one while trying to document their trip with their overly caffeinated friends. Thus the ban in many crowded places.

That being said, if you pay attentions to your surroundings and act like an intelligent adult, they can be useful and are usually pretty inexpensive.

Funny question, should end up some snarky comments but I would say do what makes you comfortable on your cruise (within reason). One thing I have noticed with the sticks is people finding themselves in awkward places because of it. Some have even been hurt bad...

We've seen lots of folks with them on our Carnival cruises. We are not jealous of those folks at all. Most of our pics are of new things that we see on our travels and not so much of ourselves as we know what we look like.

I guess many others like to see themselves in lots of pix or share them with friends so everyone can see what they are doing or where they are going. It is just a different travel style .

You are allowed to bring it onto a Carnival ship at this point. Just don't hit anyone!

I don't think that they are banned, but I have been hit in the head with one. The users pay more attention to their own image than who or what they are about to walk into.

I think selfies in general are silly. I have a friend that was blowing up my FB page posting selfies all day. Who's that self absorbed or needs that much attention to do that much posting.

On our recent 7 day cruise in November we didn't see one selfie stick, I am really not bothered by them unless they interfere with my ability to move about an area where people are using them. Just be mindful of where you are and the people around you. On a trip to NYC in the spring there were many tourists using selfie sticks on 5th Ave. in front of stores like Tiffany, etc., this was definitely a place where they shouldn't be used as they caused a lot of problems on very busy sidewalks.

Not to my knowledge. I've brought my GoPro with a "selfie stick" on multiple cruises with no comments made. I think those that make comments are simply jealous that they do not have access to it and have to consistently ask those around them to take photos of them and their traveling partners.

Jealous???

Don't have access?? Really!

On our recent 7 day cruise in November we didn't see one selfie stick, I am really not bothered by them unless they interfere with my ability to move about an area where people are using them. Just be mindful of where you are and the people around you. On a trip to NYC in the spring there were many tourists using selfie sticks on 5th Ave. in front of stores like Tiffany, etc., this was definitely a place where they shouldn't be used as they caused a lot of problems on very busy sidewalks.

That is the problem. People tend to be totally absorbed in themselves and the camera. Don't seem to understand the concept that other people are around.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Another problem with selfie sticks that have caused entertainment sites to ban them is that sticking the stick up blocks the view of people standing or sitting behind them. Pretty annoying if you are trying to see the parade, show or other entertainment occurring in front of you.

On our last cruise, two museums prohibited them. However, they did not prohibit walking canes which could pose some of the same problems.

No they don't, because people are not walking around with a cane held up in the air starting at the end of it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I know at WDW part of the problem was that the rides were designed in such a way that animatronics and other parts of the attraction were out of arms reach and the sticks could damage those things. Plus can you imagine a phone coming off of the stick and whopping someone in the face while on a fast moving ride :eek:

I don't get the selfie fascination myself, but to each his own.

On our last cruise, two museums prohibited them. However, they did not prohibit walking canes which could pose some of the same problems.

When was the last time you saw someone who needed a cane holding it up in the air, looking at the end of the cane, as they walked? :rolleyes:

Funny question, should end up some snarky comments but I would say do what makes you comfortable on your cruise (within reason). One thing I have noticed with the sticks is people finding themselves in awkward places because of it. Some have even been hurt bad...

I would love to read about some of these stories:D

I think they should be band. I been hit twice in the head by them and both times the people looked at me like it was my fault. No apology from them either. That they shouldn't be used in doors or in crowded ares such as when getting of the ship stopping the line to take a selfie, have had them over my head while they take a selfie in line.

I think they should be band. I been hit twice in the head by them and both times the people looked at me like it was my fault. No apology from them either. That they shouldn't be used in doors or in crowded ares such as when getting of the ship stopping the line to take a selfie, have had them over my head while they take a selfie in line.

Maybe they are on some other cruise blog complaining about the person who ran into their selfie sticks:D