Anthem or Grandeur - which one?

Spike5556

Trying to decide between the Anthem out of New York or the Grandeur out of Baltimore for a summer cruise for our family. We were excited to try the Anthem, but the negative reviews are overwhelming and I am now hesitant to book. Traveling is myself, my husband and our three boys ages 12, 15, and 17. Has anyone experienced both ships or have strong feelings one versus the other? Thanks so much in advance for your help - really appreciate it!

Edited by Spike5556

Trying to decide between the Anthem out of New York or the Grandeur out of Baltimore for a summer cruise for our family. We were excited to try the Anthem, but the negative reviews are overwhelming and I am now hesitant to book. Traveling is myself, my husband and our three boys ages 12, 15, and 17. Has anyone experienced both ships or have strong feelings one versus the other? Thanks so much in advance for your help - really appreciate it!

We bit, and chose Anthem. Our first cruise was on Grandeur, which was a nice smaller cruise ship. Had a wonderful time on her.

We're on Anthem for our first time this coming June, but what an interesting idea to come up with a comparison of the two! My first thoughts:

1. Grandeur - ideal if you would settle for a smaller cruise ship and far less crowds than on Anthem.

2. Anthem - May be too imposing and big for certain cruisers. We are mainly going on Anthem due to curiosity.

Overall, I too am a bit concerned over the neg reviews of Anthem, especially those after the repositioning to Bayonne/Cape Liberty.

I haven't sailed on Grandeur, but I have on Anthem, and given the age of your children, from what I've read about Grandeur, I think there will be more for them on Anthem. My spouse and I loved Anthem. Yes, it wasn't perfect, but what a ship! Stunningly beautiful, with amazing public spaces and incredible activities.

My detailed comments (with photos) of our TA on Anthem is here; much more of a positive review than negative:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2277588

We looked at the same two ships for our cruise next summer and due to the fact bringing my son, who will be 21 at that point, and a friend it was a no brainer to pick Anthem. Just way more for the kids that age to do, and you know what they say, happy kids, happy parents :D.

We have not sailed either but have been on Quantum (short 3 day cruise) and Vision. My son was with us on Vision and yes he enjoyed but asked next time to be on a bigger ship.

As others have said don't pay attention to a few of the negative reviews. You need to know going in that it is a different experience than the rest of the Royal fleet, and not expect it be just the rest of the cruises you've taken. Go in with an open mind and you will (and especially the kids) will enjoy.

Hi

I just got off Anthem on Saturday. I have sailed on Grandeur many times.

Given the ages of the kids you made the right choice by choosing Anthem. There is much more for the kids to do. Make sure to try ifly. The first flight is complimentary. It's great fun. The instructors are all great guys.

While I love Grandeur's size and the fact that I can drive to the port in 3-1/2 hours, like the previous poster, I think your kids would be bored silly on her. Anthem is the way to go if you're sailing with youngsters.

Just curious... Is Grandeur like the Splendor or the Adventure of the Seas?

I have cruised on both theses ships with my son who was 11 and 12.... We are cruising on Grandeur in December and my son will be 14 on this cruise.... My son has NEVER been bored silly on any cruise ship :)

He always finds something to do and other kids to hang out with. I do think it is a bit ridiculous that most kids now-a-days have to be constantly entertained.

Edited by Jeff&Mel

Just curious... Is Grandeur like the Splendor or the Adventure of the Seas?

I have cruised on both theses ships with my son who was 11 and 12.... We are cruising on Grandeur in December and my son will be 14 on this cruise.... My son has NEVER been bored silly on any cruise ship :)

He always finds something to do and other kids to hang out with. I do think it is a bit ridiculous that most kids now-a-days have to be constantly entertained.

Grandeur is very similar to Splendour.

I'd only recommend Grandeur if you were into the smaller ships. Grandeur is great for those who want to go and relax, and simply watch the world go by as they relax by the pool.

With kids that age, I'd definitely go with Anthem! There will be so much for them to do. Have you been on any other Royal ships?

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

• 2 weeks later...

I would go on the Anthem. I loved the Anthem, the Grandeur, not much. But that is just my opinion, others may have a totally different view.

Both the Grandeur and the Anthem have their own fan followings so don't go on other people's reviews. Choose either and judge it for yourself.:)