Do All X Cruises Sail Full?

jules815

People right now are playing a waiting game hoping for better deals to come out after the final payment date.

Celebrity normally keeps back about 8-10 cabins to deal with problems, but that is all. If a cruise is not full there are price reductions until the cabins are all sold.

People right now are playing a waiting game hoping for better deals to come out after the final payment date.

Celebrity normally keeps back about 8-10 cabins to deal with problems, but that is all. If a cruise is not full there are price reductions until the cabins are all sold.

RCI and Celebrity have changed their rules about price reductions after final payment. They don't reduce the fare on unsold cabins due to complainants from people who have booked early . They have said "They will let cabins be empty if they can't sell them . No discounting of the price after Final Payment"

RCI and Celebrity have changed their rules about price reductions after final payment. They don't reduce the fare on unsold cabins due to complainants from people who have booked early . They have said "They will let cabins be empty if they can't sell them . No discounting of the price after Final Payment"

Do you actually believe that?

In practice I don't think that they have any empty cabins. I monitored price on our Alaska cruise last September on the Solstice. Prices just kept going up until the day before we sailed. Onboard there weren't any cabins for upgrades because all sold out.

I'll be sailing on Connie during a peak college spring break week. There are still LOTS of rooms available in most categories for this cruise.

Sadly, the question you might want to be asking is WHY there are lots of rooms left on Connie, for that upcoming week of spring break. Several of our regular posters here, including LoisR, were on that sailing last year. Their horror stories of the "Animal House" antics onboard filled many pages on this board. :eek:

This statement sounds good, but in reality, it couldn't be further from the truth. Cabin prices do still fluctuate - both up and down - and mostly depends on how popular the itinerary is!

All one needs to do after final payment is look at the Xciting Deals! LOTS and LOTS of huge discounting!

And, to the OP. Good luck on that cruise! (I was on the ill-fated Spring Break cruise last March. The inmates were running the asylum!)

Edited by gimletgal

Agreed, the complaints from early bookers don't effect cruise prices. Whoever was being "quoted" was blowing smoke. Cruiselines make $ 0.00 from an empty stateroom.

As for the spring break cruise, I'm sure a nephew probably has extra beer bong for sale.

Edited by neverbeenhere

Before sailing with empty cabins, the cruise lines offer super bargains to travel agents, family of employees, interline (airline employees) and find other ways to dump the cabins cheap.

At least they get the extra revenue of beverages, photos, gift shops, etc.

An empty cabin brings in 0 revenue!

Sadly, the question you might want to be asking is WHY there are lots of rooms left on Connie, for that upcoming week of spring break. Several of our regular posters here, including LoisR, were on that sailing last year. Their horror stories of the "Animal House" antics onboard filled many pages on this board. :eek:

Oh yeah, I'm aware. I'm taking our daughter, a college senior, on this cruise. We did a similar one last year on RC LibertyOTS. It was full of college kids, a little crazy, but really not too bad. :rolleyes: There were plenty of seats at the pool at 9am. :)

Anyway, I've been following this one pretty closely, just because I'm curious if it will be a repeat of last year, and as of this morning, there are still lots of cabins available. I've been wanting to give X a try (although I know this particular week won't be representative of a typical cruise with Celebrity), and this itinerary/dates worked best with her break.

I'll be sailing on Connie during a peak college spring break week. There are still LOTS of rooms available in most categories for this cruise.

After the kiddo's return from the December and New Year break, the Student centers will start going full force selling packages for the drunk fest over Spring break along the gulf coast and short cruises. Have no fear of being 'lonely' on your cruise, the opposite at that time of year is the norm.

If you were to believe every shore side check in desk, or any guest relations desk on board Day One of the cruise EVERY SAILING LEAVES WITH NO ROOMS AVAILABLE. In short, they have too much going on that day to have to deal with moving guests around on the ship.

The fact is, many sailings leave with cabins unsold. Some of those are hold backs, but especially during shoulder and off season there are many cabins that do not get sold.

Now, getting one of those for free or for a small fee is hard to do once you are fully paid and inside of cancellation fee dates. The cruise line may upgrade you (happens less and less these days) or they may offer you (on their terms) an Up-Sell opportunity.

In your case, you are months away from final payment and you might see prices fluctuate. You are still at a time to take advantage of a better price or amenities package.

Good Luck.

We got a really good deal for Connie 5 day over spring break--in the middle of November. There were still a lot of empty cabins after final payment. I spent February checking cabin prices DAILY. Was able to upgrade our 3 deck 2 OV cabins (thank goodness--alot of college students on that deck!) to deck 6 OV, deck 6 Sweet 16 verandah & deck 7 FV (should have upgraded all 3 to FV--fantastic!) for just a few $/person.

2 years ago we upgraded our C3 to AQ for $20/pp! Hoping to do something similar this year on Silouette!

We got a really good deal for Connie 5 day over spring break--in the middle of November. There were still a lot of empty cabins after final payment. I spent February checking cabin prices DAILY. Was able to upgrade our 3 deck 2 OV cabins (thank goodness--alot of college students on that deck!) to deck 6 OV, deck 6 Sweet 16 verandah & deck 7 FV (should have upgraded all 3 to FV--fantastic!) for just a few $/person.

2 years ago we upgraded our C3 to AQ for $20/pp! Hoping to do something similar this year on Silouette!

Yeah, they do like those lower decks! It was the same on our RC cruise last year. We were up on deck 10, which was like an oasis away from the crazy. Our attendant said he felt really sorry for the attendants on deck 2. That whole deck was up for grabs!

Right now I'm trying to talk my husband into joining us. Our daughter isn't bringing a friend this year, so she could easily sleep on the pull out.

OK, let me refine the issue a little. What would happen if your cabin was not inhabitable (i saw a you tube video, for instance, of significant flooding from the ceiling due to broken pipe)?

I realize this requires some speculation, but there must be some cabins "in reserve" (even if only one or two) .

We are on the Silhouette right now and per, Rich, the cruise director, the ship is not sold out. He wasn't sure on how many cabins were empty but he guessed 30-40.

How unusual! On the other hand, the weeks between Thanksgiving and Winter Break are generally a little lower.

Sadly, I can never travel those weeks. :(

Before sailing with empty cabins, the cruise lines offer super bargains to travel agents, family of employees, interline (airline employees) and find other ways to dump the cabins cheap.

At least they get the extra revenue of beverages, photos, gift shops, etc.

An empty cabin brings in 0 revenue!

That is exactly my experience too. The Xciting Deals will offer rock-bottom prices just prior to sailing (YES AFTER final payment) and then the empty cabins are offered to crew family members, TAs, and for interline rates.

On one of our cruises, the ship was really empty up until about a week prior to sailing, then suddenly, every cabin was sold. With only 76 days sailed at that time, we were some of the "most traveled". (Had to laugh at that.) I've never seen so many happy employees walking their families around and introducing them to other employees.