Explorer hit by 150knot Squall

We had an incident approx 11:30am today in the middle of the Tasman. We were going straight through a large storm cell but apart from the occasional downpour and spectacular lightning strikes the squall hit without notice.

The captain was quick on the PA to apologise (not that it was any fault of his) for the lack of warning. He reported we listed to starboard 10 degrees for a full 2 minutes. It was quite frightening to passengers in open outside areas at the time but I don't believe there were any major injuries. A lot of broken glass and bottles and the solarium pool emptied into the forward lifts area on deck 11.

The crew handled everything extremely quickly and patrolled the ship for any one injured etc.

I've been on a listing ship in heavy seas before but never for 2 whole minutes! Was a very strange feeling!

Only going on Capt.:) He definitely said 147, maybe he meant KPH not Knots?

147 km/h I can believe, and yep that's the Tasman especially down towards the bottom, that's why they call them the roaring 40s down there.

I agree. I believe wind speed would be expressed in kph, not knots. Knots is a unit of measurement for the speed of a ship. :D

In the Marine and Aircraft environment the wind speed is expressed in Knots.

The Captain of the ship most likely converted to kph when informing pax.

Two minutes can be a very long time. Glad everyone is okay.

I love a bit of weather but that would not have been fun. We got the rag doll and roller coaster treatment coming out of the Sounds (just before we met the Explorer in Dunedin) sounds like we got off lightly.

Cheers

Di

Wow this getting me EXTREMELY excited [emoji33] for my Xmas Eve cruise on Explorer..... Considering I've never crossed the Tasman or been lucky enough to get Norovirus! Merry Christmas [emoji88] [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22-Jan-2015 Voyager Of The Seas3 Night Sampler Cruise

10-Jan-2014 Voyager Of The Seas3 Night Sampler Cruise

03-Feb-2012 Rhapsody Of The Seas 3 Night Sampler Cruise

Wow this getting me EXTREMELY excited [emoji33] for my Xmas Eve cruise on Explorer..... Considering I've never crossed the Tasman or been lucky enough to get Norovirus! Merry Christmas [emoji88] [emoji3]

We just did Syd/Mel/Hobart and it was like a millpond, not a ripple, so you never know!!

See you onboard:D

Chez

Don't worry and be patient, you will never know when you will get these things on your next cruise.

Don't worry and be patient, you will never know when you will get these things on your next cruise.

Yeah, I'm sure enough beer will solve either problem!

We just did Syd/Mel/Hobart and it was like a millpond, not a ripple, so you never know!!

See you onboard:D

Chez

So true, we've crossed Bass Straight over a dozen times and had both extremes nd everything in between.

You might get two for the price of one, big seas and noro. Above all, enjoy !!

We were onboard, currently sitting in a closed Sydney airport hoping for a flight home.

The list occurred during a storm front, rain and winds strong enough to hit the balcony windows with force. We listed to starboard for about 3 minutes, we were on deck 8 so it felt like more than 10 degrees, rain came down sideways. The ship then righted and seemed to move quickly forward, not sure what that means.

The captain announced that we had listed at about 10 degrees for 2.5 minutes after being hit by a wnd squall of 147 knots, his statement not sure if he was wrong with the measurement or not, I do thnk it would take a fair wind gust to tip the ship though. He then performed a correction which is what I assume the forward thrust was.

Bars lost all of heir bottles from shelves, pool emptied, furniture moved, lower deck sea doors closed because of the water that came in. No one injured apparently but I wonder about the galley crew, I wouldn't want tobe near hot soup when that happened.

We were onboard, currently sitting in a closed Sydney airport hoping for a flight home.

The list occurred during a storm front, rain and winds strong enough to hit the balcony windows with force. We listed to starboard for about 3 minutes, we were on deck 8 so it felt like more than 10 degrees, rain came down sideways. The ship then righted and seemed to move quickly forward, not sure what that means.

The captain announced that we had listed at about 10 degrees for 2.5 minutes after being hit by a wnd squall of 147 knots, his statement not sure if he was wrong with the measurement or not, I do thnk it would take a fair wind gust to tip the ship though. He then performed a correction which is what I assume the forward thrust was.

Bars lost all of heir bottles from shelves, pool emptied, furniture moved, lower deck sea doors closed because of the water that came in. No one injured apparently but I wonder about the galley crew, I wouldn't want tobe near hot soup when that happened.

Hope your reports are correct and no one was hurt. As for the wind, if it hits the ship at the right (wrong angle) then it can be quite difficult to correct the ship without causing more damage and danger. I think the Captain and crew did well if indeed no one was injured.