Buffet Etiquette

QTPieRye

Just curious about buffet etiquette on the Lido deck...... I personally do not have any problem when somebody jumps into the line to grab one thing off the buffet, as I would prefer not to stand in a long line just to grab a couple pieces of sliced cheese! However, during my last 2 cruises out of Long Beach, I noticed that some people got really upset when people cut in just to grab something off the buffet.

I did find it very annoying that many cruisers are absentminded to the fact that there are tyically 2 omlette cooking stations. The line tends to get really long on one side, while other people just walk up towards the middle station! Not sure if this classifies as cutting lines... but I've done it myself. I used to tell the people in front of me that the other station was open... but really people?!?! Pay attention!

Simple manners solve a lot: "pardon me but my I just grab a couple pieces of cheese?"

Obviously...... I would think most people use manners when doing this, including myself. With that said, my experience is that people get really upset by this!

Obviously...... I would think most people use manners when doing this, including myself. With that said, my experience is that people get really upset by this!

Even when asking? I have never had someone say no....weird.

And I would disagree that most people use manners....not in this day and age. People walk around in public places dropping curse words with little kids 3' away, talk on their phones while trying to check out, show me their underwear on a daily basis, along with a ton of other body parts I don't wanna see and that's just to name the three that come to the top of my mind at the moment....

On more than one occasion, I've forgotten to grab a carton of milk while in line. I'll go up and politely ask "Excuse me. Could you please hand me a carton of milk?" Then, when the person does, I say "Thank-you." Good manners never go out of style. :)

If there is a big gap in the line in front of the 1 thing you want, I see nothing wrong with just going and getting that 1 thing...it's not like you're holding anyone up, since there's a gap.

If there are a lot of folks waiting for the same thing you want...get in line and wait with them.

Sounds to me like someone got called out on their bad behavior too many times for their own liking. Well mannered people rarely get called out for being rude, not even on cruises from Long Beach that typically have large numbers of cruisers from southern California where rude behavior is the norm. Unfortunately I live in and sail from southern California so I know this to be a fact and not an opinion.

And I would disagree that most people use manners....not in this day and age. People walk around in public places dropping curse words with little kids 3' away, talk on their phones while trying to check out, show me their underwear on a daily basis, along with a ton of other body parts I don't wanna see and that's just to name the three that come to the top of my mind at the moment....

Amen to that!!! This pretty much describes where we are in society with a special EMPHASIS on people talking, out loud on cell phones, so everyone can hear just how important they are, in lines at check out, bank lines, fast food ordering lines, elevators, waiting rooms (yeah just love this one in the doctors office) and anywhere else that ill mannered people think is appropriate to have personal (loud) conversations in society....:eek: (yes, bad manners abound!!!)

Edited by Drazil65

If there is a big gap in the line in front of the 1 thing you want, I see nothing wrong with just going and getting that 1 thing...it's not like you're holding anyone up, since there's a gap.

If there are a lot of folks waiting for the same thing you want...get in line and wait with them.

I agree with this.

Sounds to me like someone got called out on their bad behavior too many times for their own liking. Well mannered people rarely get called out for being rude, not even on cruises from Long Beach that typically have large numbers of cruisers from southern California where rude behavior is the norm. Unfortunately I live in and sail from southern California so I know this to be a fact and not an opinion.

Not really sure what you mean in your first sentence..I've never been called out for anything on a cruise ship, much let alone bad behavior! I have however gotten a dirty look after asking permission to grab a slice of cheese! With that said, on my last two short cruises out of SoCal (3 and 4 day), cruisers were rude, compared to my other sailings.

While on our Valor cruise in 2013, a lady had a tray that she'd gotten after she'd been through the line, but had forgotten to get a bowl of fruit. I was in line right at the fruit and there wasn't anyone behind my DH and I at the time. She asked me if she could just cut in to get some fruit that she'd forgotten and I let her. She asked and was very nice about it, I had no problem letting her in. On Liberty this past September, a man had an empty cereal bowl just shoved his way in front of the gal in front of me at the bacon station, shoved the bowl in the face of the female "bacon police" and demanded "Fill it!". Now I did think that was very rude on his part.

Just curious about buffet etiquette on the Lido deck...... I personally do not have any problem when somebody jumps into the line to grab one thing off the buffet, as I would prefer not to stand in a long line just to grab a couple pieces of sliced cheese! However, during my last 2 cruises out of Long Beach, I noticed that some people got really upset when people cut in just to grab something off the buffet.

I did find it very annoying that many cruisers are absentminded to the fact that there are tyically 2 omlette cooking stations. The line tends to get really long on one side, while other people just walk up towards the middle station! Not sure if this classifies as cutting lines... but I've done it myself. I used to tell the people in front of me that the other station was open... but really people?!?! Pay attention!

I don't ever cut in the line, as I have found the lines to be no more then 3 to5 min to get something other then made to order eggs. However, I don't have an issue if someone does not want to wait a min or two just to grab one item. To me, I am on vacation, to take an extra 3 min in line because of my error in forgetting to grab something is not a big deal.

Not really sure what you mean in your first sentence..I've never been called out for anything on a cruise ship, much let alone bad behavior! I have however gotten a dirty look after asking permission to grab a slice of cheese! With that said, on my last two short cruises out of SoCal (3 and 4 day), cruisers were rude, compared to my other sailings.

I have found that on short cruises, the general populace is more pushy, self-centered and all around ill-mannered. I also feel that a larger percentage of the population book these as party cruises, and the longer cruises tend to be more family or couple oriented in vibe - yet still quite fun.

On my most recent 4 day cruise, I had to call guest services. It is unacceptable to pull all your chairs and footstools out into the hall and hold your 10 cabin family reunion there at 12 am - there are plenty of public spaces that can accommodate your gathering, without disturbing the sleep of others who booked for a romantic getaway. People never cease to amaze me....

Yes...I know it is their vacation and they want to do what they want. But for all you who are an advocate of this philosophy, you don't do what you want at the expense of common decency and courtesy.

You would think with all the "experience" Carnival has with ships that they would design the buffets to be more friendly and lay it out so that everyone does not need to get in one giant line. Seems like other cruise lines know how to design ships better.

Completely agree!

You would think with all the "experience" Carnival has with ships that they would design the buffets to be more friendly and lay it out so that everyone does not need to get in one giant line. Seems like other cruise lines know how to design ships better.

They do have that, on the Sunshine, Breeze and other ships think but not too sure which ones.

We sailed on the Spirit in 2009, and the Buffet had several separate stations, one for carving, one for sandwiches, one for salads, etc. We never had to wait much for anything & it was nice to only have to go to one place for what you wanted. Does the Miracle have this arrangement (going on it Jan. 31), or did they do away with it?