Prinsendam - Unique things you like

POA1

Thank you to all who praised the Prinsendam. I'll be sailing on her for the first time this Saturday and can hardly wait.
She's a nice ship with some unique features, but don't believe all the hype and let your expectations get as high as I did. Think 2/3 sized S class ship.
We also truly like the one-floor Main Dining Room ...
We thought the low, hard ceiling made it too noisy.

Edited by jtl513

Thank you to all who praised the Prinsendam. I'll be sailing on her for the first time this Saturday and can hardly wait.

Have fun :). Hope you enjoy her as much as we do :).

We thought the low, hard ceiling made it too noisy.

That is just one of the reasons we prefer the more forward dining room

Kazu - you have me worried? Are you speculating or is the Prinsendam on the "block" to be sold? It is our favorite ship!

Doug

Sorry - didn't mean to worry you. A couple of years ago we were told the Prinsendam would probably be around in the fleet for at least another 5 years.

How long no one can say for sure - but she won't be in the fleet forever, sadly. She is not young and is very expensive to maintain as a lot of the parts have to be specially built.

Suggestion we were given was to make sure you mark in your survey that you want another Prinsendam when the time comes for her to go.

She's our favourite ship too :)

My cruise catalog/view and verandah brochure came in the mail yesterday. Although the world cruise for 2017 is shown on the Amsterdam, the other Grand Voyages in 2017, which are on the Prinsendam, are NOT. One small paragraph does mention the 67 day Grand South America and the 55 day Grand Med, but nothing about them being on the Prinsendam or dates or prices. Thinking if HAL has a potential sale of our little Pdam in th e works, maybe they would substitute another ship to do those cruises???

My cruise catalog/view and verandah brochure came in the mail yesterday. Although the world cruise for 2017 is shown on the Amsterdam, the other Grand Voyages in 2017, which are on the Prinsendam, are NOT. One small paragraph does mention the 67 day Grand South America and the 55 day Grand Med, but nothing about them being on the Prinsendam or dates or prices. Thinking if HAL has a potential sale of our little Pdam in th e works, maybe they would substitute another ship to do those cruises???

Interesting. I just booked the 11/2/17 transatlantic on the Prinsendam.

Roy

Sorry - didn't mean to worry you. A couple of years ago we were told the Prinsendam would probably be around in the fleet for at least another 5 years.

How long no one can say for sure - but she won't be in the fleet forever, sadly. She is not young and is very expensive to maintain as a lot of the parts have to be specially built.

Suggestion we were given was to make sure you mark in your survey that you want another Prinsendam when the time comes for her to go.

She's our favourite ship too :)

Great suggestion Kazu! We are on the Prinsendam next October for two bucket list cruises - Black Sea and Holy Land! Georgina sent me your info on tour guides in the Black Sea - very helpful! We were on the Oosterdam with her and with your neighbor - Glenn - last April/May! Great times! Your name is legendary! :D

Doug

Great suggestion Kazu! We are on the Prinsendam next October for two bucket list cruises - Black Sea and Holy Land! Georgina sent me your info on tour guides in the Black Sea - very helpful! We were on the Oosterdam with her and with your neighbor - Glenn - last April/May! Great times! Your name is legendary! :D

Doug

Ahh so you were the person she asked me for ;)

You are in for fantastic cruises IMO.

oh, and by the way, don't believe everything you hear:p

The HAL website shows Prinsendam cruises January to June in 2017 - including the Grand South America - http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-cruise-vacation/FindCruises.action?cfVer=4&destCode=&regionCode=&dateCode=1_2017&__checkbox_flexibleMonths=true&noOfFlexibleMonths=1&durationCode=&embarkPort=&ship=PR

Doug

Yes, thanks, I was aware the Prinsendam has been scheduled thru Nov 2017. I just noticed that this new cruise catalog mailed out this week only barely mentions the 2 Grand Voyages (South America & Grand Med), and not what ship or prices. It does give the world cruise two full pages of details.

This past summer we were told the ship has always been for sale, BUT only at the right price. In other words, don't expect her to be sold any time soon.

If someone came along and offered you an insane amount of money for your house or car, would you not sell it too?

I loved our Signature Suite, probably better than the same class on the Vista ships. Being a smaller ship it was much easier to get around.

One of the nicest things on the Prinsendam, was what wasn't there - art auctions! :D

John

So, DW and I now have Prinsendam Phobia....in that we are worried that our favorite HAL ship will soon disappear. Yesterday we put our money where our hearts are by booking the March Grand Med cruise (55 days). In order to deal with the smoker issue we stuck with a lower cost outside cabin since we will not pay the huge premium for a balcony we may not be able to enjoy. But otherwise, we love this old ship (will have over 200 days on the vessel) which is full of "character."

Hank

Best scenic viewing of all the HAL ships. No glass between you and the view especially on the forward Sky Deck.

Also, love the Prinsendam's ability to go under bridges, up rivers, through the fjords and through the Kiel Canal due to its ability to lower its superstructure.

Too bad POA is not doing a Thanksgiving song, or we could have:

"Over the rivers

and through the fjords

To interesting ports we go.

The crew knows the way

To pamper us each day

Through the high tides and the low."