Transatlantic Weather

spindrift

Great weather at all ports until Barcelona, where it was cold and rainy. A couple of dull days at sea, and a REALLY windy day on the day of the Country Fair.

Roughest seas from Miami to Bermuda...at our M&G in Jacques on the 5th deck, a WAVE hit the window!!!

Wow, does not sound too good. I guess we should stay away.

I don't think there are any general rules. We've done several on the Miami-BCN route (apx.) and at least one NY to Dover. Our weather was pretty much okay. I don't recall rough seas at all ... maybe one or two days when we were on Regatta 8 years or so ago.

(None of our itineraries included Bermuda although we're supposed to be there on a westbound trip next October.)

Just because someone says "our weather sucked" doesn't mean that it will on the cruise you are contemplating. Considering that we've had good weather in the North Atlantic, if I were you I wouldn't worry too much about more southern routes.

And I definitely wouldn't decide against a trip because one or two people had bad luck. There's just no predicting ...

Mura

Having taken several from Miami to Europe and five Europe to Miami, our experience has been the weather in the Atlantic is calmer in November and rougher in April. As Mura noted, all depends on a specific voyage.

Weather aside, one concern you might consider is the aggressive time change when starting in Miami heading east. That was tough on ourselves and crew members on our two cruises - an hour change day after day was too much for us to take.

Whereas Europe to Miami, I find the time change pace more gradual and well spaced. A time change of 6-7 hours may not be an issue for you. My personal is the November sailings steaming toward Miami.

Mura and Wristband make good points.

There is no rhyme or reason to Transatlantics. It all depends upon King Neptune. We have done numerous ones both ways and have lucked into smooth seas most times and decent weather.

I have noticed that the weather in the spring transtatlantics may have a day or two of cooler weather, but again, that is just what we have experienced. It all depends upon winds, El Nino, the ship's route, etc.

The point about the time change is an important one. Going to Europe, the clocks move forward on a regular basis, coming from Europe they go back;)

No matter which way you go, Cruising beats flying IMO any day :)

Whereas Europe to Miami, I find the time change pace more gradual and well spaced. A time change of 6-7 hours may not be an issue for you. My personal is the November sailings steaming toward Miami.

That's why on two other lines we have sailed with they make the losing an hour time change at 12 noon

We did the Miami to Barcelona in April last year. We had one perfect day in Bermuda with a blustery rainy day that followed. Madeira was beautiful but Gibralter was cool and overcast. I didn't find the seas too rough at all. One thing though- it was cool enough that we didn't use the veranda and probably would have been just as happy with an inside or ocean view cabin. Overall we found this a great way to enjoy the Riviera experience.

We did the Miami to Barcelona in April last year. We had one perfect day in Bermuda with a blustery rainy day that followed. Madeira was beautiful but Gibralter was cool and overcast. I didn't find the seas too rough at all. One thing though- it was cool enough that we didn't use the veranda and probably would have been just as happy with an inside or ocean view cabin. Overall we found this a great way to enjoy the Riviera experience.

I would love to do a TA one day. Sounds like a lot of fun, no matter the weather.

Appreciate all your responses. The trip I am looking at is on the Riviera April 11th, Miami to BCN to join up with the Inaugural sailing of the new Sirena on April 27th. Beats flying.

I guess I won't be wearing my capris but rather slacks and sweaters. At my age, I don't bother with the bathing suit anyway. :rolleyes:

We had some bad weather on our Regent trip Lisbon to Cape Town this last November, and the Country Fair had to be in the various atriums. That was kind of fun for a change.

Rough seas don't bother me, so now I have an idea--more in the 50's I guess. Since I lost my husband May 30th, we were scheduled on the Sirena. I did not cancel and will be taking my daughter. Hope she can handle the rough seas. She's done quite a few trips, but never TA.

Thanks folks. Happy Holidays to all.

You can never tell what the weather will be from one year to the next

In 2010 in Amsterdam it was 30C +

in 2012 same time frame in Amsterdam it was 10C

Last year here we had several feet of snow & below zero days

this year it is 45 F & no snow ...DH has been out riding hi motorcycle recently ...has not done that for many years in Dec :D

You can never tell what the weather will be from one year to the next

In 2010 in Amsterdam it was 30C +

in 2012 same time frame in Amsterdam it was 10C

Last year here we had several feet of snow & below zero days

this year it is 45 F & no snow ...DH has been out riding hi motorcycle recently ...has not done that for many years in Dec :D

30c is hot I think and 10 is cold? right? But then you are talking about 45F Getting me confused. Here in the states it is hard enough to know the temperature in F much less know where C is. Need all the help I can get. The thing for me is KISS Keep it simple stupid.

30c is hot I think and 10 is cold? right? But then you are talking about 45F Getting me confused. Here in the states it is hard enough to know the temperature in F much less know where C is. Need all the help I can get. The thing for me is KISS Keep it simple stupid.

So no one gets the wrong idea, stupid is me.

a good rule of thumb for converting C to F: double the C temp and add 32, then take away 3-4 degrees.

Though I'm Canadian, I still prefer my temps in F....72 sounds SO much nicer than 22!

But I do work in a hospital, and pt temps have ALWAYS been in C, even before we switched to metric.

Edited by tropicalkerry2002

a good rule of thumb for converting C to F: double the C temp and add 32, then take away 3-4 degrees.

Though I'm Canadian, I still prefer my temps in F....72 sounds SO much nicer than 22!

But I do work in a hospital, and pt temps have ALWAYS been in C, even before we switched to metric.

Thanks a lot. If I write this down there is a chance that i might remember all this. Or not.

30c is hot I think and 10 is cold? right? But then you are talking about 45F Getting me confused. Here in the states it is hard enough to know the temperature in F much less know where C is. Need all the help I can get. The th50fing for me is KISS Keep it simple stupid.

Sorry I confuse myself some days

we were raised with F but they switched to metric & I am totally lost sometimes :D

30C = 86F

10C = 50F

45F = 8C

it took me a while to do the 24hr clock thing when working ;)

1. I keep an android ap named ConvertPad on my cell permanently set to convert celsius to fahrenheit.. Simple things for simple (and mathematically challenged) minds.

2. Next November will be our 3rd TA on Riviera. We're praying the wx gods let us off easy once more. And to our fellow cruiser from last April, I will also hope the gods give us a better day for the ship's country faire. The crew works so hard it's a shame to see their efforts made less than outstanding through no fault of theirs.

JMBobB

Our April 2012 Eastbound TA was great, calm seas all the way across. We did hit some weather between Ponta Delgada and Strait of Gibraltar. Our November 2013 Eastbound TA was windy all the way across, not very rough seas, but not slick calm like April.

As an experienced sailor/and ships navigator/Officer of some experience...I have to say that based on historical data from decades of collection my mariners, that you April crossing is going to be subjected to a good portion of storm/seas and winds.... You can get those books and charts at many nautical supply outlets..navigators and ships officers USE them....they are the Farmers Almanac of the Sea... they are going to the bank accurate.

Its from memory ( and theText book "sailing routes of the world and associated pilot charts.) that you stand a 25%chance of missing weather and thus a 75% chance. It is on the cusp of the beginning of hurricane season

Some are luckey..Most are not......

When I make that crossing I book an inside as low as possible.... A veranda or PH....no thanks