Credit Card Compromise

napunani

I was notified by my credit card financial institution that the credit card loaded into PERSONALIZER was compromised. The fun thing about this credit card, I haven't used it in nearly a year and within 30 days of entering it into the PERSONALIZER, it was being fraudulently used in Philadelphia using IPAY on an IPHONE. Luckily, the fraud prevention team quickly caught on and closed my account!

Edited by napunani
misspelling

It sounds like your computer has been compromised or your router firewall has been infiltrated. If you made the Princess updates from a public place using your computer, you are very vulnerable to someone getting your credit card number. Do not do financial transactions from a public hotspot of any kind. Only do it from behind your router firewall.

It sounds like your computer has been compromised or your router firewall has been infiltrated. If you made the Princess updates from a public place using your computer, you are very vulnerable to someone getting your credit card number. Do not do financial transactions from a public hotspot of any kind. Only do it from behind your router firewall.

I didn't utilize a hotspot or a public computer or my computer at a public place. We have home computer router security, but if by chance there was some kind of infiltration, I (and hubby) should be seeing fraudulent charges on our other credit cards that we have used for YEARS via our home computer. We haven't experience anything yet, but we are watching carefully.

A similar thing happened to us. DH and I applied for a card (through a large bank) but then never used it - not once. About a year later we received a call that our card had been compromised. When we inferred that the bank must have been hacked, they told us that cyber thieves use random numbers until they hit one that works. They also said that the fraud dept. caught it so fast because the thieves were not able to provide all the correct information.

I was notified by my credit card financial institution that the credit card loaded into PERSONALIZER was compromised. The fun thing about this credit card, I haven't used it in nearly a year and within 30 days of entering it into the PERSONALIZER, it was being fraudulently used in Philadelphia using IPAY on an IPHONE. Luckily, the fraud prevention team quickly caught on and closed my account!

Oh dear!

My TA entered the information for me, with my specific authority as, due to Legal Blindness, I am nervous about entering such information online. I have had trouble with passwords to log in on websites so very wary about banking online. Have since had a statement, and no problems so far. I will remain alert though. Might be the Travel Agency has high level computer security too.

I can tell you your credit card was not compromized due to your entering into the Princess Cruise Personalizer. In order to place a credit card on your account in the Cruise Personalizer, the following information must be provided:

• Cardholder's Name
  • Credit Card Number
  • Expiration Date
  • Are you the owner?

By IPAY I'm going to make the assumption you are referring to Apple Pay. In order to associate a credit card with Apple Pay, the following information must be provided:

• Name
  • Card Number
  • Expiration Date
  • Security Code

The Security Code is not required in the Cruise Personalizer. Whoever entered your credit card information on an iPhone had to have gotten the Security Code from some other source.

Also, after a credit card has been approved for use in Apple Pay, the associated financial institution sends an email notification to the account owner. You had to have received that email. If not, why not? Was the email address associated with that account changed by someone other than yourself?

Personally, I would check all information associated with that account to be sure it's accurate. Also, change your user name, password, and PIN to ones you do not use anywhere else.

PNG%20Sig_zps9bcbhaj9.png

It is good to always watch your credit cards to make sure they are not being used by someone else. A lot of credit card suppliers will allow you to set up alerts if the card is used for something beyond the alert level you set. I have had my card info stolen several times over the years. All my issuers caught it with their fraud detection except one and that was the Princess credit card issued by Barclay. They had used my card number three times in the same day at the same vendor and Barclay did not catch it. Luckily I had set up the alerts and called Barclay to have them cancel the card. If you have a Princess Barclay credit card be very vigilant. In that case the card info was stolen at a local restaurant. The reason I know this is because two of my dinner partners had theirs stolen at the same time. One had a debit card and they cleaned out his account while the second one had an AmEx card and they caught it on the first try to use it. I think there is a lesson to be learned there.

We never set up our cruise card information until close to the cruise. Less time online, less time able to steal it

27926-profile.png

my-cruise-countdown.aspx?dat=01%2F11%2F2016&dest=M&ship=ISMy Cruise Countdown | I'm sailing to Mexico on 01/11/2016 aboard the Carnival Inspiration! Visit Carnival.com to see all Mexico cruises

I cruise for Creme brulee, chocolate melting cake and lobster!

The Op indicated that the card had not been used for a year. That does not mean that the information used to compromise the card might not have come from an earlier transaction. A number of times information is found/stolen from old files. So it could have very easily been a case of someone getting access to old transaction files at a business. One company I used to work for had an employee access boxes of old records and did identity theft in that fashion. Since they were over a year old, no one caught on to the cause for several months and the person was caught by tracing delivery of merchandise ordered via the compromised cards. Only then did they find out how they were getting the information.

All my issuers caught it with their fraud detection except one and that was the Princess credit card issued by Barclay. They had used my card number three times in the same day at the same vendor and Barclay did not catch it. Luckily I had set up the alerts and called Barclay to have them cancel the card. If you have a Princess Barclay credit card be very vigilant.

I also have the Princess Barclay card. I can tell you they are on the fraud thing like white on rice. I have been denied my own purchases because it was a store I don't normally shop at. I get a call at home, a call on my cell, my DH gets a call on his cell and I get an email. Until I call them and verify the charge my account is put on hold. I'm always excited when they let me make a second purchase at the same place on the same day.

Just the other day my credit union called and asked if I made a $9.80 charge in North Carolina with my ATM card. Did I buy anything on line? No. Instantly my credit card and ATM card were cancelled and re-issued. The only time I use my ATM is to withdraw money at an ATM or at my local grocery store. Nowhere else.

These are the times folks. Someone walking by you on the street could have scanned your card number.

Heck, the mailman could have intercepted your information. That is what happened to my mother in BC. Someone got access to the neighborhood box, took her card, took the follow up activation letter and withdrew the max at a 7/11 store. Even though she had this credit card account for many many years she had never activated it because she couldn't figure out how to do it and she didn't need it. The CC people never caught it and, frankly, didn't believe it wasn't her charge. I guess they really think an 85 YO woman is going to go to a random store ATM and continually take out different amount until she reaches her max. It was only after we gave them a police report that they finally took the charge off ($500). But, they wouldn't take off the late fees and interest because they said it wasn't their fault. Mental midgets at work. It took two months to get them to delete them. Oh, and that was after the bank manager verified the situation. She had to change even her bank account, auto withdrawals and deposits.

It is good to always watch your credit cards to make sure they are not being used by someone else. A lot of credit card suppliers will allow you to set up alerts if the card is used for something beyond the alert level you set. I have had my card info stolen several times over the years. All my issuers caught it with their fraud detection except one and that was the Princess credit card issued by Barclay. They had used my card number three times in the same day at the same vendor and Barclay did not catch it. Luckily I had set up the alerts and called Barclay to have them cancel the card. If you have a Princess Barclay credit card be very vigilant. In that case the card info was stolen at a local restaurant. The reason I know this is because two of my dinner partners had theirs stolen at the same time. One had a debit card and they cleaned out his account while the second one had an AmEx card and they caught it on the first try to use it. I think there is a lesson to be learned there.

We also have a Barclays Princess card and on our last cruise there was a $1 charge. Barclays alerted me immediately as I was in the terminal waiting to board the ship. I called them, told them that was not my charge and they said they would cancel the card. I said NO! I am using this card on this cruise with Princess and only allow charges from them until I get back home. Piece of cake! I do not own a smart phone yet so their sending me a text was a fantastic thing! I was impressed! Now, after experiencing that, I will take two credit cards... :D

These are the times folks. Someone walking by you on the street could have scanned your card number.

That's pretty much not the case. That's only possible with the RFID cards and not with your normal credit card which does not emit any radiation.

The RFID cards are like those that were issued by some gas station cards that you could "wave" at the pump to charge gas.

ApplePay and things like that are extremely short range, measured in inches. The guy would have to be in your backpocket to make it work.

Oh dear!

My TA entered the information for me, with my specific authority as, due to Legal Blindness, I am nervous about entering such information online. I have had trouble with passwords to log in on websites so very wary about banking online. Have since had a statement, and no problems so far. I will remain alert though. Might be the Travel Agency has high level computer security too.

Have you investigated SafeKey by Mcafee? They do the virus protection software and firewalls and stuff like that. SafeKey can store your passwords in an encrypted fashion using a key known only to you. Safekey uses facial recognition software (works on your phone too) to log you in. After login, Safekey will enter your passwords in the sites you visit. Like you, I have problems with passwords, I must have 50 of them. Safekey works for me.

I can tell you your credit card was not compromized due to your entering into the Princess Cruise Personalizer. In order to place a credit card on your account in the Cruise Personalizer, the following information must be provided:

• Cardholder's Name
  • Credit Card Number
  • Expiration Date
  • Are you the owner?

By IPAY I'm going to make the assumption you are referring to Apple Pay. In order to associate a credit card with Apple Pay, the following information must be provided:

• Name
  • Card Number
  • Expiration Date
  • Security Code

The Security Code is not required in the Cruise Personalizer. Whoever entered your credit card information on an iPhone had to have gotten the Security Code from some other source.

Also, after a credit card has been approved for use in Apple Pay, the associated financial institution sends an email notification to the account owner. You had to have received that email. If not, why not? Was the email address associated with that account changed by someone other than yourself?

Personally, I would check all information associated with that account to be sure it's accurate. Also, change your user name, password, and PIN to ones you do not use anywhere else.

PNG%20Sig_zps9bcbhaj9.png

VERY good point! This may help the OP uncover how it really happened.