Oceania Shore Excursion Pricing: Are You Kidding Me!

G&G

Side note: this spring on Riviera, we signed on to several private tours organized by a pax posting on Roll Call. The tours very good, limited to six, pricing was 1/2 of O's charge, we adjusted the itinerary on the fly, all had a great time. The organizer swears by "Tours By Locals" and has used the service on many cruises. It has its own web site and - city by city - offers bios & pricing & tour options for local licensed guides.

I should add, as was pointed out above, several were in obscure ports that had limited tour options on the surface. Fortunately, our TBL guides were well informed about what was happening that day and we had great time with nice places for lunch along with very good commentary.

I can only vouch for the "Locals" we had . My sense is TBL is similar to Uber - a vessel thru which local independent guides pay a fee to be listed but guides are vetted by the service. As multiple guides are listed for each city, you have a choice of whom to contact and you can contact any number of guides with specific requests rather than being locked in.

Perhaps others here have used Tours By Locals?

I am sure that others here have used Tours by Locals because it is here that I first heard about them. We haven't had occasion to use them yet but certainly would. In fact I've been looking at them for Tenerife next fall.

Mura

People have a choice. Not one person is forced to pay the cost of a particular tour. I personally go to the roll call section and either join another private tour or set up one myself for a small group. In some ports, I don't really want to think, or may like a particular tour offered by O and pay the price. It's a choice. I often remark/complain about the extremely high markups on the wines offered by Oceania. Same deal, Oceania gives ME the choice to either pay their price or bring my own aboard and pay corkage. I ran a company for over 23 years, their are no free lunches. What I didn't make in one area, I had to make up in another, it's called business! I'm sure some would prefer less expensive cruise tours and $100/person specialty restaurant reservations, because they don't eat in the specialties anyway. They have CHOICE! That just isn't how O markets itself.

I think having the ability to pick and choose is exceptional! :D I look at the entire deal as a package, and that the cruise, with accompanying tours is going to cost X. O has to make a profit and I have to enjoy my experience for it all to be a win-win. If you like cheap tours lead by the cruise line, then I suggest going Carnival and being happy, meanwhile I'll pick and choose the tours that I fill are appropriate for me.

People have a choice. Not one person is forced to pay the cost of a particular tour. I personally go to the roll call section and either join another private tour or set up one myself for a small group. In some ports, I don't really want to think, or may like a particular tour offered by O and pay the price. It's a choice. I often remark/complain about the extremely high markups on the wines offered by Oceania. Same deal, Oceania gives ME the choice to either pay their price or bring my own aboard and pay corkage. I ran a company for over 23 years, their are no free lunches. What I didn't make in one area, I had to make up in another, it's called business! I'm sure some would prefer less expensive cruise tours and $100/person specialty restaurant reservations, because they don't eat in the specialties anyway. They have CHOICE! That just isn't how O markets itself.

I think having the ability to pick and choose is exceptional! :D I look at the entire deal as a package, and that the cruise, with accompanying tours is going to cost X. O has to make a profit and I have to enjoy my experience for it all to be a win-win. If you like cheap tours lead by the cruise line, then I suggest going Carnival and being happy, meanwhile I'll pick and choose the tours that I fill are appropriate for me.

+1. So well stated, many choices for all of us.

Agree with Pinotlover's sentiment.

In addition, many of us at times receive large non-refundable OBC due to multiple promotions that must be used.

On our last 25 day cruise we had $2,300 in OBC much of which we spent on excursions in African ports where private tours are not always easy to find.

That said, we do prefer private tours in smaller groups and do them when it is possible and easy to arrange.

I agree with the rationale. However, we cruised Azamara and the excursions were much cheaper then Oceania and they have only the two R ships. Azamara may leverage their connection with Celebrity to lower costs but shouldn't O leverage theirs with NCL to lower the costs?

Maybe they will; it's only a little over one year since the merger, stuff likes that takes time. Don't forget that Azamara is not owned by Celebrity; both are owned by Royal Caribbean. NCL is still a distant third behind RCCL and CCL.

But, the real key to what Jim said is the enormous difference between mass market "milk runs", with the same ship going to the same ports every week, week after week, each time loaded with 2,000 to 4,500 people. The moment Oceania starts to have a schedule like that, I'm outa here. I'll be happy to pay more for my excursions.

That's also the reason the mass market ships may know so much more about their destinations -- they never go anywhere else, while Oceania adds new destinations every year and may visit some of them only once a year.

Since this discussion is about the cost of tours, can someone explain why a major travel company is discounting Oceania and Regent cruises consistently 60 or more percent off the brochure price ? This doesn't seem to coincide with the comments about Del Rio holding the line on cruise prices.

This is not just a few cruises, it is all of them.

Since this discussion is about the cost of tours, can someone explain why a major travel company is discounting Oceania and Regent cruises consistently 60 or more percent off the brochure price ? This doesn't seem to coincide with the comments about Del Rio holding the line on cruise prices.

This is not just a few cruises, it is all of them.

No one pays brochure price.

Spot on.

Well said:)

I am sure that others here have used Tours by Locals because it is here that I first heard about them. We haven't had occasion to use them yet but certainly would. In fact I've been looking at them for Tenerife next fall.

Mura

We used them recently in Berlin and had a fabulous experience!

When I saw your original post about being discounted to $400 I decided to post and see that now you have changed that to $1200. In actually 47% of the original price of $4000 is $1880 which is much more reasonable and perhaps based on the full price and not the buy 1 get 1 free always non-promotion and if the $4000 is the full brochure price, not surprised with $1880 which is only $120 less than the usual pricing.

Yes you are correct

Also I noticed some sites do no include the airfare in the discounted prices

rereading G & G said 47% off so they are actually paying more than the 1880

which is probably what is on the O website maybe??

I need a large expresso :D

Edited by LHT28

So if the B cabin was listed at $4000 pp are you saying you got it for $1200 ??:eek:

I believe you had mentioned the TA site which is not allowed on CC so your posts were removed

I know the CC rules. I have never stated the TA who offers the discounts.

This is what happened.

We originally booked a "C" window view cabin for the 10 day Caribbean cruise, less airfare since we live in Florida for $2,549/person. This was the discounted price on Oceania's website at time of booking a year ago. Price included pre paid tips and $400 cabin credit.

We updated the booking three days before final payment in September2015 when I received a special deal.

Now we were in a "B" category Verandah cabin, $1,549/person. Price included pre paid tips, $400 cabin credit plus now unlimited free internet.

When I saw your original post about being discounted to $400 I decided to post and see that now you have changed that to $1200. In actually 47% of the original price of $4000 is $1880 which is much more reasonable and perhaps based on the full price and not the buy 1 get 1 free always non-promotion and if the $4000 is the full brochure price, not surprised with $1880 which is only $120 less than the usual pricing.

See my post 41

I know the CC rules. I have never stated the TA who offers the discounts.

This is what happened.

We originally booked a "C" window view cabin for the 10 day Caribbean cruise, less airfare since we live in Florida for $2,549/person. This was the discounted price on Oceania's website at time of booking a year ago. Price included pre paid tips and $400 cabin credit.

We updated the booking three days before final payment in September2015 when I received a special deal.

Now we were in a "B" category Verandah cabin, $1,549/person. Price included pre paid tips, $400 cabin credit plus now unlimited free internet.

Thanks for the explanation

That was a good deal then

pays to shop around

Do you mean Leslie Jon? Our favorite CD.

Yes.

But he made a big mistake when we boarded the ship.

We only dine at the Terrace Cafe or Special Restuarants. At about 4 pm he announced that if you did not wish to go to the MDR, lobster was being served at the Terrace Cafe. (Lobster tails are available every night)

When the Cafe opened at 6:30pm, there were +20 people in line at the grill and got longer every minute. The place was packed.

I saw Leslie the next day and he said he was "chewed out" by the head chef at the Terrace Cafe for making the announcement. Actually I thought it was funny.

Yes.

But he made a big mistake when we boarded the ship.

We only dine at the Terrace Cafe or Special Restuarants. At about 4 pm he announced that if you did not wish to go to the MDR, lobster was being served at the Terrace Cafe. (Lobster tails are available every night)

When the Cafe opened at 6:30pm, there were +20 people in line at the grill and got longer every minute. The place was packed.

I saw Leslie the next day and he said he was "chewed out" by the head chef at the Terrace Cafe for making the announcement. Actually I thought it was funny.

I guess there are a lot of first timers on for whom this would be welcome news?

funny that Leslie was chewed out or funny that people though it was a good deal??

There was usually quite the line at dinner at the grill on our recent B2B, so much so that I usually passed on the grill fare and ate something else at the Terrace. Apparently the word is out.

G&G;

It has been my experience to never show up at the Terrace (or the GDR) at opening time for any reason. There is always a large number of starving guests that want to eat as early and as quickly as possible. Why get ran over by wheel chairs, walkers, and starving cruisers when one can wait until 7:15 and have a delightful peaceful meal with out all the rush and hassle? I've walked by both and seen lines forming 10-15 minutes before scheduled restaurant opening! :eek: