Crab Shack

johnandlinda

So since this is done in a part of Horizon Ct, can one person choose the Crab Shack option while the other opts for the normal buffet? Wife does not do seafood!

Yes, Absolutely. It is OK for family/friends to bring their buffet meal. I saw it both times I did the Crab Shack.

I love seafood and had a fantastic meal at the Crab Shack last week!! The crab was tender and tasty! There were 4 choices of "boiled" dinners, and I had the meal with King crab, Snow crab, shrimp, mussels, clams, sausage, corn and potatoes. The King crab was cut in half already. The appetizer said it had "popcorn shrimp", but there were 3 HUGE fried shrimp. The waiter kept asking us if we wanted more of anything, but we could barely finish what we had. Certainly a great buy at only $20! I'll definitely eat there again on another cruise. :D

I love seafood and had a fantastic meal at the Crab Shack last week!! The crab was tender and tasty! There were 4 choices of "boiled" dinners, and I had the meal with King crab, Snow crab, shrimp, mussels, clams, sausage, corn and potatoes. The King crab was cut in half already. The appetizer said it had "popcorn shrimp", but there were 3 HUGE fried shrimp. The waiter kept asking us if we wanted more of anything, but we could barely finish what we had. Certainly a great buy at only $20! I'll definitely eat there again on another cruise. :D

Sounds great -- do you remember what the other 3 dinner choices were? We'll be on Caribbean Princess in May for a British Isles cruise, hope they offer it on that itinerary. We get plenty of wonderful fresh seafood here in the Northeast, but not too much crab.

So since this is done in a part of Horizon Ct, can one person choose the Crab Shack option while the other opts for the normal buffet? Wife does not do seafood!

Thank you for asking this question. It hadn't occurred to me and it's great to find that this is a viable option. My wife loves crab. I detest it. :rolleyes:

Appetizer

Popcorn Shrimp & Hush Puppies in the Basket

Your Choice of Dipping Sauce: Bayou Style or Tartar

Soup

Manhattan Clam Chowder

Bacon, Tomato and Potatoes

Please Choose Your Entrée

Bayou-Style “Mud Bug” Boil

Crawfish and Corn on the Cob with Baby Onions

Potatoes and Spicy Andouille Sausage

Or

Steamed Alaskan King Crab Legs

with Old Bay Peel & Eat Shrimp

Drawn Butter, Corn on the Cob, Boiled Potatoes and Lemon

Or

The Royal’s Mixed Steamer

Snow Crab Cluster, King Crab, Jumbo Shrimp, Clams

Mussels and Kielbasa Sausage

Corn on the Cob and New Potatoes

Or

Clam, Mussel and Shrimp Pot

Shallots, White Wine and Serrano Chili

Dessert

Selection of Gateaux and Tarts from our Pastry Shop

Served with Coffee or Tea

$20 per Person

Claw Cracking - Lip Smacking - Pots of Fun!

• 2 weeks later...
Do you share a pot or can everyone get their own boil?

You get your own, It is not SHARE :)

If both members of a party of two order the same item they will be served one giant pot. Having seen such a tip on this board, last year on Ruby we made a point to order two different pots and were served substantially more than the nearby tables we observed sharing (though all were offered seconds...and thirds).

and, yes, I get the pun hpeabody :D

Appetizer

Popcorn Shrimp & Hush Puppies in the Basket

Your Choice of Dipping Sauce: Bayou Style or Tartar

Soup

Manhattan Clam Chowder

Bacon, Tomato and Potatoes

Please Choose Your Entrée

Bayou-Style “Mud Bug” Boil

Crawfish and Corn on the Cob with Baby Onions

Potatoes and Spicy Andouille Sausage

Or

Steamed Alaskan King Crab Legs

with Old Bay Peel & Eat Shrimp

Drawn Butter, Corn on the Cob, Boiled Potatoes and Lemon

Or

The Royal’s Mixed Steamer

Snow Crab Cluster, King Crab, Jumbo Shrimp, Clams

Mussels and Kielbasa Sausage

Corn on the Cob and New Potatoes

Or

Clam, Mussel and Shrimp Pot

Shallots, White Wine and Serrano Chili

Dessert

Selection of Gateaux and Tarts from our Pastry Shop

Served with Coffee or Tea

$20 per Person

Claw Cracking - Lip Smacking - Pots of Fun!

If there's that much food, I'm surprised anyone would have room for dessert. But I guess you can always make room:). I'll be sailing on the Grand in '17, too bad that (at least now) the crab shack isn't offered - of course 2017 is sort of a long way off.

Edited by Treven

If there's that much food, I'm surprised anyone would have room for dessert. But I guess you can always make room:). I'll be sailing on the Grand in '17, too bad that (at least now) the crab shack isn't offered - of course 2017 is sort of a long way off.
We had the Crab Shack on the Grand more than a year and a half ago on a Mexico cruise out of San Francisco

If both members of a party of two order the same item they will be served one giant pot. Having seen such a tip on this board, last year on Ruby we made a point to order two different pots and were served substantially more than the nearby tables we observed sharing (though all were offered seconds...and thirds).

and, yes, I get the pun hpeabody :D

On the Crown in October we ordered the same thing & each of us got our own full pot of food. It's apparently another example of variable procedures on Princess but we were stuffed even before dessert. ;)

Saw one stuffed couple given their desserts on a room service covered plate to take with them.

OK, doggie bags are always a possibility. Maybe have it later in the IC with a cup of coffee or espresso.

IECalCruiser: I based my posting because I had just gone on Princess' website, and looked on the deck plans and didn't see any mention of the crab shack. Being held in part of the Horizon Court, guess I'll have to wait until I board to see if it's going to be offered.

IECalCruiser: I based my posting because I had just gone on Princess' website, and looked on the deck plans and didn't see any mention of the crab shack. Being held in part of the Horizon Court, guess I'll have to wait until I board to see if it's going to be offered.
You will not see Crab Shack on any deck plans. We had it in March of 2014 on the Grand and February of 2015 on the Crown. From the Dining Options Guide which I can no longer find online, Crab Shack is available on the Caribbean, Coral, Crown, Emerald, Golden, Grand, Island, Regal, Royal, Ruby and Star Princess. Edited by IECalCruiser

You will not see Crab Shack on any deck plans. We had it in March of 2014 on the Grand and February of 2015 on the Crown. From the Dining Options Guide which I can no longer find online, Crab Shack is available on the Caribbean, Coral, Crown, Emerald, Golden, Grand, Island, Regal, Royal, Ruby and Star Princess.

Yes you're 100% right, all current Grand reviews all indicate that the Crab Shack was offered on recent Grand sailings

Srpilo

Crab Shack day(s) is promoted at Horizon Court, and on the daily Patter.

As others have said since Crab Shack is not a separate venue you won't find it on the deck plans. And since the PDF document showing each ship's dining options has disappeared from the website, the only reference to Crab Shack is HERE (scroll to 'Horizon Court Buffet'):

HORIZON COURT BUFFET

Indulge in a delightful array of familiar favorites and regional dishes, in a casual setting at breakfast, lunch or dinner, and be sure to try the Crab Shack or Fondues on select evenings. Check back throughout the day as selections change and enjoy fresh fruits, a loaded salad bar and desserts galore. And our waiters are always nearby to serve your favorite beverage.

Charges apply for Crab Shack and Fondues.

On Ruby last year the first day's Patter listed which nights Crab Shack would be offered; if you don't see that on your cruise you can call the dine line, or ask one of the assistant Maitre d's at dinner--likely they will offer to immediately make a reservation for your.

Just had my Crab Shack meal on the Grand on Dec. 6, 2015! It was held several times during our 15 day cruise in a section of the Horizon Court.

Edited by Go-Bucks!