Princess Survey about Formal Nights

ready2cruzagain

We can usually tell by the end of the appetizer on the first night whether we will enjoy our tablemates for the cruise, so far the answer has always been, you bet! It might be that we have traditional late dining and by asking for that spot we have generally aligned ourselves with couples that have the same 'standards'.

It might be in Princess's best interest to allow all of us to further define our dining preference. When signing into our cruise personalizer, let us choose late night dining/formal, or late night dining/casual; early dining/formal or early dining/casual. I would then be with my 70% brothers and sisters every night (since it seams both sides believe they are in that majority). I would be in a section of the dining room on formal night and not have to worry that I made polo shirt guy feel bad because he was forced to sit at my table. Like wise polo shirt guy won't have to worry if he offended black tie guy.

We all feel more comfortable being with people that make the same choice as ourselves. I could care less who eats in the main dining room on any given night but if some feel strongly that Princess enforce a dress code and others feel strongly that Princess relax the dress code, let's try to find a way to accommodate both houses.

It's funny that in ATD, this problem can easily be addressed by the headwaiters. They simply seat people together that are similarly dressed.

Please everyone take time to enjoy the holiday with your families. We wish you a merry Christmas and a happy new year. (At least the 70%that are in my camp)

I like this idea. However based on experience I can see people changing their mind once they board the ship which would cause a huge logistics issue with one dining room being over booked and one being empty. Add in who will decide to eat in the buffet, specialty restaurant, or jump over to AT dining on formal night and you have a recipe for disaster. The biggest problem is that Princess doesn't enforce the dress code or anything else for that matter. Reinventing this special night is the just the cruise line's way of washing their hands of the situation. I'm a rule follower and dress accordingly. I really don't care one way or the other about formal night. I would just like to see some consistency.

I like this idea. However based on experience I can see people changing their mind once they board the ship which would cause a huge logistics issue with one dining room being over booked and one being empty. Add in who will decide to eat in the buffet, specialty restaurant, or jump over to AT dining on formal night and you have a recipe for disaster. The biggest problem is that Princess doesn't enforce the dress code or anything else for that matter. Reinventing this special night is the just the cruise line's way of washing their hands of the situation. I'm a rule follower and dress accordingly. I really don't care one way or the other about formal night. I would just like to see some consistency.

I like this idea as well. In fact, I've suggested this several times. I really doubt it would be the disaster you imagine since people would have the opportunity to pick which option they wanted at booking. They could switch once on board but only subject to availability. Would you care to wager which dining room would be nearly empty and which would be overbooked? I'm betting formal would be about one-third full.

I wonder if PJ's and slippers will become the norm???? Welcome to Walmart ............ where the dress code allows people to walk around in PJ's ,slippers and belly shirts!!! I believe it is a slippery slope and what is a smart casual for one person is a pair of ripped jeans, local beer slogan tee shirt and their favorite teams logo ball cap!(on backwards)

Do you see pjs on casual nights in the dining room?

Azamara and Oceania doesn't have formal nights - I doubt you see pjs and slippers on those.

Regent has a few nights when formal is optional. Maybe that is the way to go.

Since retiring, the more we travel the less we want to carry. We travel about five months per year. We only do carry on now. Does not matter if it is a week or three months. On many occasions we have picked up a last minute cruise.

Our last cruise was last Feb. on Princess. It is very easy for us. We simply pass on the MDR on formal nights. Not a big deal for us. I had years of wearing a suit and tie at work. I have no interest in carrying one around the world only to wear it for a few hours on two or three days of six or eight week trip. Nor do we have any desire to cart around suitcases that we cannot both physically handle.

There are lots of people like us. And more are on the way as the generation turns over. It does not mean that we will show up in the MDR in ripped jeans. What it does mean is that my five year old suit and DW's Sunday beads and togs will be hanging in the closet while we are travelling. We happily dine else wear on formal nights.

So we could care less about formal nights. But we will be out and about the ship in our casual attire. In the bar, in the show, in the shops, out on deck. We think that Princess should continue formal nights. They have good options for people like us. As for dress it the MDR on formal nights.....this is the purview of the cruise line. They make the rules. It is up to them to enforce them.

Exactly...if people understood what "smart casual" means, then by all means, let formal nights go by the wayside. As mentioned previously, there are lines (Seaborne, for another example) do not have formal nights, but we never saw anyone inappropriately dressed. I believe Princess must enforce what "smart casual" is....not that I have confidence they will. That is the "slippery slope". We would like to continue sailing with Princess....have always loved the line!

This thread is just like reading Cruise Travel magazine. The Formal/no Formal debate has been going on in the readers comments section for years.

I am really curious to know what parameters were applied by Princess to decide who should get the survey? We have cruised with Princess many times but did not receive a survey.

Have enjoyed reading the many different views on the subject and will be interested to see how it all plays out.

This thread is just like reading Cruise Travel magazine. The Formal/no Formal debate has been going on in the readers comments section for years.

I am really curious to know what parameters were applied by Princess to decide who should get the survey? We have cruised with Princess many times but did not receive a survey.

Have enjoyed reading the many different views on the subject and will be interested to see how it all plays out.

No survey here either.

Do you see pjs on casual nights in the dining room?

Azamara and Oceania doesn't have formal nights - I doubt you see pjs and slippers on those.

Regent has a few nights when formal is optional. Maybe that is the way to go.

Have you ever sailed Oceania? I have many times. Their main DR is about as formal as you can get every night.

The opinions raised in this forum are most likely as important as the feedback Princess received from the surveys. I was also somewhat disappointed that I didn't receive a survey.

Have you ever sailed Oceania? I have many times. Their main DR is about as formal as you can get every night.

No I haven't but their website talks about "Country Club casual" and indicates that tuxes and gowns are never required.

The premiere/luxury lines seem to have relaxed their formal requirements as that is what their clients/passengers asked for.

My friends who travel them have not brought formal clothes.

Edited by Coral

No I haven't but their website talks about "Country Club casual" and indicates that tuxes and gowns are never required.

The premiere/luxury lines seem to have relaxed their formal requirements as that is what their clients/passengers asked for.

My friends who travel them have not brought formal clothes.

I guess I should have said very formal without any specific formal nights advertised.

Have always been very impressed. ;)