What Time Do Nightly Shows Start

JonB46

Most of the time the show is 9:30pm or 9:45pm

sometimes they have a special performance earlier in the evening but you will not know until the CURRENTS come out the night before

If you eat later than 8pm just tell the waiter you want to make the show & they will serve you a bit quicker ...hopefully

This begs a question :). If there is only a single show in a theater that cannot seat much more then half the passengers, do late diners often find themselves without a seat?

Hank

It is a possibility

Depends on how many turn up for the shows

This begs a question :). If there is only a single show in a theater that cannot seat much more then half the passengers, do late diners often find themselves without a seat?

Hank

Yes, we enjoy the shows so we eat early and go early to get a seat. I find the theater to be of poor design with very uncomfortable seating. By the time the show was over I could not wait to get up.

Hank

Fortunately, there are enough people who, for one reason or another, do not care for the shows so seating is rarely a problem. That said, latecomers may have a problem finding a good seat. I always thank the non-showgoers and hope they don't change, as there would then be a seating problem.

I'm not certain on which ship Hypercafe has sailed, but the theaters, and the seating, are radically different on the two different size ships.

On Riviera and Marina, the theaters are large, have high ceilings (but are not two decks high like the mass market ships), and have typical theater seating. I've seen some folks report "poor sight lines", but I can't understand -- I've sat in every section of those theaters, and have never had a problem seeing the stage. There are no obstructions, like pillars. The seats are narrow, but there is adequate space between each row, and I have never found them uncomfortable. Each seat has a small table, similar to a school auditorium, that can be raised to hold a drink. ?When it was new, those tables on Marina were too wide and one could not stand without lowering the table. The tables on Riviera were much more narrow, yet still adequate. I don't know if Marina has been changed to the Riviera folding tables, but I suspect it has, because most of Riviera's improvements have been updated to Marina.

The "R" ships, Regatta, Insignia, Nautica and soon Sirena, are completely different. The theater is small, the ceilings are low, the stage is small, and the seating is intimate. The front several rows are comfortable, individual upholstered chairs, with small tables scattered among them. The second rank of seating is a comfortable banquette in a semi circle. To the left and right of the banquette, and up a step, are additional upholstered chairs and scattered tables. Behind the center of the banquette, and up a step, are several wooden chairs with raised legs. Not all of the seating have good sight lines, but I would call all of the seating very comfortable, with the possible exception of the hard chairs. I find the acoustics poor because of the low ceiling.

As previously stated, the just completed Regatta trip started the planned shows at 9:30. The theater is "ok" and the ceiling is very low, making for an intimate atmosphere.

A few suggestion:

1. People tend to sit in the rows like they do in church, filling in the "end" seats, often leaving inside seats unoccupied while people stand in the back. If you try to shimmy over to one of these inside seats, you can get a nasty look for the "end" seat fillers that are unwilling to get up or even shift their legs over and they often don't do a good job of guarding their drink from getting bumped.

2. O should provide someone to guide people to their seat with a small flashlight, especially if someone arrives just a few minutes into the show. I noted several people stumbling over legs, walkers, table legs, etc. that were protruding into the walking aisle.

3. If you are REALLY tired, perhaps you should not attend the show if you plan on napping during the show, and worse yet, snoring! Twice, gentlemen near me fell asleep with unusually loud snoring that to say was a distraction is an understatement.

4. If you plan on eating in any of the dining venues and the start of your dinner is 8:00 PM or later, you better only have a limited selection of food courses or tell your waiter to kick it up a notch (especially in the main dining room) if you plan on making the 9:30 PM show.

5. I didn't find the chairs particularly uncomfortable, and I am afraid if they were MORE comfortable, too many people would be napping.

John

Hank

I never have attended a show (and we go every night while onboard) that ran out of seats provided you are willing to walk upfront or to the sides to look for some; the only exception has been some specially added shows in Horizons rather than in the theater.