No Refund for excursion...

trihawks1

Just because OP's daughter didn't like the weather isn't a legitimate reason to expect a refund. Excursions can be cancelled by the provider and refunded by RCI. We've had one excursion cancelled due to weather and were refunded. We've had one refunded due to the provider not being able to provide enough transportation so those of us that didn't get to go were refunded onboard. If we cancelled inside of 24 hours, we would not expect, nor would we ask for a refund. Some people forget that RCI contracts with the excursion providers and they do not do the excursions themselves. If you ran your own business like this and had no shows, you would still expect to be paid. It's done in all kinds of businesses that provide services.

Edited by BND

When a shore excursion description told us walking was 1/4 mile, and it was really 1 1/2 miles or more, we informed Shore Excursions desk and got a partial refund.

We also got a half refund when the tour guide almost lost us in Bruges because she set a pace that was way too fast.

Edited by knittinggirl

Is everyone being a little too hard on the OP? I agree if you cancel within 24 hrs you are not entitled to a refund. If I understand the OP correctly, they decided not to go at 7:30 because of the weather and 30 min later RCL or the tour operator cancelled due to weather. If you can't cancel within 24 hrs then perhaps RCL shouldn't due anything with the tour tickets. If the person at the desk would have just sent them away then they would have got a refund when the entire tour was cancelled. In this case RCL cancelled those reservations and then 30 min later cancelled the excursion. The OP's party didn't get any refunds but everyone else on the tour did. I doubt that the tour operator got paid for those 2 or 3 people, so RCL kept the money. Really doesn't seem fair to me.

Where did the OP say any of that? Was it on another thread? Because in the OP there is nothing about RCCL canceling the excursion or everyone else getting a refund.

I've been on cruise critic for many years and have never had such negative responses to a post. As I stated, they didn't get on the ship until Saturday late morning, the excursion was 8:00 am Sunday. Yes it is their fault that they didn't cancel prior to getting on the ship. I forgot to mention That when they went into my cruises Friday night, it did not let them access their reservations the night before getting on the ship. They should have gone immediately to the shore excursion desk but I am assuming they would have had the same answer...no cancellation under 24 hrs. And I guess I learned a lesson that posting an issue/opinion can backfire. I apologize for questioning a RCCL policy. I definitely won't book an excursion the first full day of a cruise to avoid this issue in the future.

I've been on cruise critic for many years and have never had such negative responses to a post.... And I guess I learned a lesson that posting an issue/opinion can backfire...

No, what has happened here is that most of us disagreed with you and you didn't like that. I'm sorry, but were you expecting support? I mean, life isn't always like that, right? If your daughter cancelled of her own free will less than 24 hours prior, then she has no recourse. And as I stated, it's not your fight. You weren't on this cruise.

Having said that, I'm sorry you couldn't go on your planned cruise and I hope you are feeling better now. :)

Just had two excursions cancelled due to weather at Thanksgiving.

The first one was through RCI and was the Margartiaville Catamaran at Falmouth. It was intermittently raining, told my wife that we were going to go down and report in anyway. They ended up cancelling it before we boarded the cat, full refunds plus a free drink at Margaritaville, no problems.

Second was a private one in Grand Cayman, again no problems.

The key is if you cancel last minute its on you, if they cancel its on them. You cant cancel at the last moment and then expect a refund.

I've been on cruise critic for many years and have never had such negative responses to a post. As I stated, they didn't get on the ship until Saturday late morning, the excursion was 8:00 am Sunday. Yes it is their fault that they didn't cancel prior to getting on the ship. I forgot to mention That when they went into my cruises Friday night, it did not let them access their reservations the night before getting on the ship. They should have gone immediately to the shore excursion desk but I am assuming they would have had the same answer...no cancellation under 24 hrs. And I guess I learned a lesson that posting an issue/opinion can backfire. I apologize for questioning a RCCL policy. I definitely won't book an excursion the first full day of a cruise to avoid this issue in the future.

OP, try and ignore the rude comments and just take the helpful ones. Usually people are great on here, but the odd one does like to stir things up. You don't deserve it and just wanted to see if others had experienced that or had a way to get some money back. I thank you too for posting as it's a warning to the rest of us that have excursions booked ahead of time. I'll definitely watch the weather and carry Royal's number with me if any doubt as the Blue Lagoon excursion is also the first day for us...and also the only Royal excursion we have booked (we're flying in the night before). I'm really sorry that the money wasn't refunded as that's aggravating...and sorry for any negative feedback.

PS - I hope you are healing ok from your breaks. Not fun. :-(

Edited by LuCruise

OP, try and ignore the rude comments and just take the helpful ones. Usually people are great on here, but the odd one does like to stir things up. You don't deserve it and just wanted to see if others had experienced that or had a way to get some money back. I thank you too for posting as it's a warning to the rest of us that have excursions booked ahead of time. I'll definitely watch the weather and carry Royal's number with me if any doubt as the Blue Lagoon excursion is also the first day for us...and also the only Royal excursion we have booked (we're flying in the night before). I'm really sorry that the money wasn't refunded as that's aggravating...and sorry for any negative feedback.

PS - I hope you are healing ok from your breaks. Not fun. :-(

Every post where people disagree someone comes out calling people rude.

Telling them that they wouldn't be owed a refund because they canceled last minute is not rude. And explaining that they have a policy for this is again, not rude.

The Blue Lagoon was just to enjoy the beach. For those taking the eastern Caribbean itinerary that does include Nassau as a first stop less than 24 hrs after getting on your ship, just check the weather ahead of time prior to avoid possible weather issues. If my DD had checked the weather on Friday for Nassau, she could have made the decision to cancel prior to getting on the ship. However, she would have had to call C&A to cancel since access online was not available thru her my cruises. Again, my apologies to those who couldn't understand why my DD and her friends were upset for not getting a refund. 24 hrs ahead would have been Saturday morning at 7 a.m. When they weren't even on the ship yet. Realize many people are flying the day of and aren't able to cancel within the 24 hrs and as stated. My post was also a "tip" to be careful when booking excursions if they are the first full day on the ship like Nassau. You really need to cancel on Friday.

The Blue Lagoon was just to enjoy the beach. For those taking the eastern Caribbean itinerary that does include Nassau as a first stop less than 24 hrs after getting on your ship, just check the weather ahead of time prior to avoid possible weather issues. If my DD had checked the weather on Friday for Nassau, she could have made the decision to cancel prior to getting on the ship. However, she would have had to call C&A to cancel since access online was not available thru her my cruises. Again, my apologies to those who couldn't understand why my DD and her friends were upset for not getting a refund. 24 hrs ahead would have been Saturday morning at 7 a.m. When they weren't even on the ship yet. Realize many people are flying the day of and aren't able to cancel within the 24 hrs and as stated. My post was also a "tip" to be careful when booking excursions if they are the first full day on the ship like Nassau. You really need to cancel on Friday.

Next time, have them go to the excursions desk as soon as they open because they will allow you to cancel first port excursions on the day you board, we have done it in the past. As far as day of cancellations, that is really too late unless it is cancelled by the cruise line or vendor.

You had also posted they tried to access the reservation the day before boarding, your reservation is no longer accessible within 48-72 hours of your sailing.