Catholic priest on board

elkay68

Their policy is to have one. I haven't sailed at Christmas, but did sail during Lent and there was a Priest on board.

Time for Mass will be up to the Priest and CD, and will be posted in the daily as well as at Guest Relations.

During Lent, the Priest on our ship made certain he was present at embarkation at the door everyone boarded. He said he wanted to be certain he was seen by those who would be interested. He sat there for a few hours by the entrance on Deck 5, near the Cafe Al Bacio. Every so often, one of the staff would bring him a fresh drink.

Will there be a Lutheran Pastor on board also for Christmas also? Christmas is just as important to Lutheran's as it is to Catholics. We also have Christmas Eve and Christmas day services. For that matter, we also celebrate Easter, including having weekly Lenten services.

We cruise on Eclipse each Easter. Usually there is a priest, but once the priest missed the ship, so we didn't have one that time. Last cruise, the daily mass was at 5:00PM each evening. The other priests held mass at 8:00AM.

The November 30 cruise we took on Equinox had a rabbi on board who held a 5:00PM ceremony to light a Menorah candle each night.

Any denomination can check the community bulletin board usually displayed near the customer relations desk. Sometimes announcements are placed there about non-denominational meetings.

On a Panama Canal cruise over Christmas, the time for Catholic Mass were in the Dalies.

On Christmas Eve he did a Mass early evening and then at 11pm in the theater for the crew and passengers. He did one on Christmas morning. There was also a Crhistmas religious service on Christmas Day.

Celebrity traditionally has Catholic priests on most cruises. We have a longtime priest friend who does 2-3 a year. Altho recently he said fewer priests are offering. Our friend is near retirement age.

How did they decide on that particular religion and denomination? Just curious.

How did they decide on that particular religion and denomination? Just curious.

I was told that only a priest can offer communion to Catholics so a Protestant pastor wouldn't be allowed to do this, but a priest can have a service for non Catholics too. I have been on ships when the priest had a Catholic service and then one for Protestants. He had a good homily and was quite humorous. The best Easter service I had on a ship was when the cruise director, who was a Christian, led and spoke at it.

Can someone please confirm that Celebrity always has a catholic priest onboard for Christmas?

Also when is mass celebrated?

Catholic Mass is usually celebrated in the theater at either 8:30 am or 9 am depending on the day.

I was told that only a priest can offer communion to Catholics so a Protestant pastor wouldn't be allowed to do this, but a priest can have a service for non Catholics too. I have been on ships when the priest had a Catholic service and then one for Protestants. He had a good homily and was quite humorous. The best Easter service I had on a ship was when the cruise director, who was a Christian, led and spoke at it.

Not true - have you ever heard of a Chaplin? They are of various religions, and can offer services, including Communion, to all that they minister to.

Also, there are quite a few Catholic Priests who refuse to offer Communion to non Catholics.

Edited by sleepless

Not true - have you ever heard of a Chaplin? They are of various religions, and can offer services, including Communion, to all that they minister to.

Also, there are quite a few Catholic Priests who refuse to offer Communion to non Catholics.

The Chaplin can offer it to anyone, but Catholics, according to church doctrine can only receive from a Catholic Priest, deacon, or Eucharistic minister from the Catholic church.

Will there be a Lutheran Pastor on board also for Christmas also?

It is unlikely. It would be very difficult for every ship in every cruise line to ensure that on Christmas (Ash Wednesday, Easter etc. etc.) there is a minister from all protestant denominations onboard.

Just sailed on the Equinox from 12/11 to 12/21. No Catholic masses on both Sundays.

When we first started sailing Celebrity in 2002 they did have a Catholic priest on board for every cruise from the Apostolate of the Sea program. They stopped that about 4-5 years ago or so. Can't exactly remember.

Now it's been hit and miss when they have Catholic Mass onboard. Besides on the M class ships they got rid of the Cinema when they Solsticized the ships and that's where they held a lot of the masses.

The Chaplin can offer it to anyone, but Catholics, according to church doctrine can only receive from a Catholic Priest, deacon, or Eucharistic minister from the Catholic church.

A Chaplin is trained to give communion to all - christians. In fact, a Chaplin can even do a Jewish service. And, a Jewish Chaplin can do a Christian service - including communion. I have a family member who is a trained Chaplin.

A Chaplin can work in a hospital, ministering to the needs of those in the hospital, and on a military base.

Edited by sleepless

When we first started sailing Celebrity in 2002 they did have a Catholic priest on board for every cruise from the Apostolate of the Sea program. They stopped that about 4-5 years ago or so. Can't exactly remember.

Now it's been hit and miss when they have Catholic Mass onboard. Besides on the M class ships they got rid of the Cinema when they Solsticized the ships and that's where they held a lot of the masses.

Overheard the Cruise Director, Patti, during the Reunion Cruise 2015 speaking to a guest. Someone mentioned about Celebrity in the past always having a priest on board. Her reply was that if you want daily Mass on a ship, sail with Holland America. How helpful!

Overheard the Cruise Director, Patti, during the Reunion Cruise 2015 speaking to a guest. Someone mentioned about Celebrity in the past always having a priest on board. Her reply was that if you want daily Mass on a ship, sail with Holland America. How helpful!

It sounds like she could use a lesson in tact and courtesy. That said, if daily mass is ultra important to someone, they would be better off going on a land-based vacation where there is a catholic church nearby. It seems a little selfish to assume that every cruise ship will always have a priest on board 24/7/365.

A Chaplin is trained to give communion to all - christians. In fact, a Chaplin can even do a Jewish service. And, a Jewish Chaplin can do a Christian service - including communion. I have a family member who is a trained Chaplin. .

Simply untrue; a Roman Catholic chaplain would be in breach of his Church's discipline to give communion to non-Catholics. Some do it unofficially, but that could lead to complaints against them, and they are trained NOT to do it.

Stuart

I do not want to sound anti-catholic but there are lots of other religions in the world beside catholicism. Why should there just be a catholic priest on board. How about one of each religion or none at all.

DON

Well Celebrity is a private company and can do whatever they want.

I do not want to sound anti-catholic but there are lots of other religions in the world beside catholicism. Why should there just be a catholic priest on board. How about one of each religion or none at all.

DON

There are times when I wish the board had a "like" button.