HAL Questions From Princess Cruiser

Av8tor

Looking at a short lead-time cruise for next month on the Westerdam that would be our first with HAL. Hopefully, some of you Mariners will be able to answer some quick questions for us:

1) What are the time(s) for traditional dining?

2) Are the Signature Suites similar to Princess's mini-suites or do they include other "suite perks?"

3) What perks come with Neptune suites?

4) Do the Vista class ships have self-service laundries yet?

5) Is smoking still allowed on verandahs?

6) Is one bottle of wine per adult allowed onboard for free for in-room consumption?

7) Does HAL offer any OBC for military?

8) What is the OBC for Carnival stockholders for a 7 night cruise?

9) What is the auto-tip per day?

10) Approximate cost for a "simple" cocktail such as Canadian whiskey & ginger ale?

11) How much is the charge for alternative dining venues?

Thanks for any help and/or other insights...

Paul

Edited by Av8tor

4) Do the Vista class ships have self-service laundries yet? No

5) Is smoking still allowed on verandahs? Yes

6) Is one bottle of wine per adult allowed onboard for free for in-room consumption? Yes - have in carry-on, not checked luggage

9) What is the auto-tip per day? Staterooms (interior, ocean-view and verandah) US$12.50 -- Suites US$13.50

Hoping that gets the ball rolling for your other answers.

Edited by crystalspin

Looking at a short lead-time cruise for next month on the Westerdam that would be our first with HAL. Hopefully, some of you Mariners will be able to answer some quick questions for us:

2) Are the Signature Suites similar to Princess's mini-suites or do they include other "suite perks?"

4) Do the Vista class ships have self-service laundries yet?

5) Is smoking still allowed on verandahs?

6) Is one bottle of wine per adult allowed onboard for free for in-room consumption?

7) Does HAL offer any OBC for military?

8) What is the OBC for Carnival stockholders for a 7 night cruise?

9) What is the auto-tip per day?

10) Approximate cost for a "simple" cocktail such as Canadian whiskey & ginger ale?

11) How much is the charge for alternative dining venues?

Thanks for any help and/or other insights...

Paul

#4 - Very little chance that self-service laundries will ever be retro fitted

#7 - AFAIK Princess is the only Carnival Brand that offers a Military OBC

#8 - For all Carnival Brands the Stockholder credit for a 7 day cruise is $100

#10 - Seagrams VO and Ginger Ale as of the end of November $6.25+.94 gratuity for a total of $7.19

others can add appropriate answers

Not exactly answering your questions ... just saying:

We mostly cruise on Princess (best fit for us) but do also very much enjoy HAL for port intensive cruises.

On HAL we are fine booking a Verandah cabin while we need a Mini-Suite on Princess.

Room service offerings on HAL are so way better than Princess.

Still being able to smoke on verandas on HAL but not on Princess depends on if you do or do not smoke.

Too many "at sea" days on HAL would bore us silly. Princess has way better entertainment. We've found the pax base way more friendly on Princess than on HAL.

Bottom Line: HAL is a very good cruise line. Please don't hesitate to book a HAL cruise. :)

2. I believe Signature Suites are a little larger than Princess Mini-suites. The Signature suites are mostly wider which gives you more balcony. Not sure of perks as all suites are beyond my means.

11. Pinnacle Grill (Steak & Seafood) is an extra $29 pp. Canaletto (Italian) $10 pp. Tamarind {Asian - not on all ships) is $20 pp. Le Cirque (French) is $49 pp.

Thanks for the answers everybody. I wasn't having much luck finding the answers on the HAL website and I want to book tomorrow while the suite I want is still available (hopefully) at the price I want (or at least am willing to pay...).

Still looking for the answers to the following:

2) Are the Signature Suites similar to Princess's mini-suites (just a bigger size and upgraded in-cabin amenities) or do they include other "suite perks?"

Thanks again all

Edited by Av8tor

Thanks for the answers everybody. I wasn't having much luck finding the answers on the HAL website and I want to book tomorrow while the suite I want is still available (hopefully) at the price I want (or at least am willing to pay...).

Still looking for the answers to the following:

I believe early fixed dining is 5:30, main (late) fixed dining is 8:00 or 8:15, varies by ship/itinerary. Open dining is 5:15 - 9:00.

2) Are the Signature Suites similar to Princess's mini-suites (just a bigger size and upgraded in-cabin amenities) or do they include other "suite perks?"

Can't help with the suites, never been in one.

Thanks again all

m--

The Neptune Suites have the use of the Neptune Lounge -- open from 7 AM - 8 or 8:30 PM. Here you can get a continental breakfast, around 10:30 AM, wraps and finger sandwiches, cookies, chocolates are available until about 3:30 - 4. Than cold appetizers are available until closing.

You have free laundry and dry cleaning.

You can also have breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill for free -- the menu is the same as the main dining room menu. Sea days -- time is 8 - 9:30 AM. Port days -- time is 7:30 - 9 AM.

You may or may not get a free bottle of sparkling wine in your cabin. Usually complimentary sparkling wine by the glass is available in the Neptune Lounge on Embarkation day. This is not bar where you can get alcoholic drinks.

Thanks again all

As RMLincoln said, early is usually around 5:30 and late around 8:00, this varies slightly from ship to ship, but only by 15 minutes or so.

One thing you can do on HAL, but can't on Princess, is order an entire meal off the MDR menu and have room service deliver it to your room. You can enjoy it on your balcony or inside your room. I have not tried this yet, but I am planning to do so on my next HAL cruise.

Actually Princess does have this service, but they charge around $100 for it (I can't remember exactly how much.) I think they call the ultimate balcony experience or something like that. I am always on a budget so I have never tried that either.

HAL Signature Suites (HSS) and Princess MiniSuites (PMS) are comparable between cabin types with HSS 289/100 sq ft vs PMS 277/46; Cabins: HSS wider but not as deep vs PMS less wide but more deep Balcony: about same depth but HSS wider. Square footage may vary by ship/cabin location on HAL and Princess. You do not get Neptune Suite perks in the HSS. Prices vary by itinerary but in Alaska and Mexico we have found HAL prices have been $300-$1,000 more per cabin.

HSS usually have a small flower arrangement vs PMS a glass of champagne but most other cabin amenities are the same. HSS have a separate shower and tub and 2 sinks but tub is high and harder to step into. PMS have longer tub, 1 sink, and tub easy to step into. HSS are covered vs PMS are only covered if on the Emerald deck.

Edited by qsuzi

For amenities included in various staterooms and suites, go to the HAL site. On the upper banner click "ONBOARD" then look to left column and click "Staterooms and Suites". Scroll down to thumbnail photos of staterooms and suites with "Amenities" on bottom of each photo which when clicked will open a window with full description of each.

We have sailed in a HAL SS as well as a Princess MS. The HAL room has much more storage and a double sink as well as a jetted tub and a separate shower. The Princess MS have much deeper balconies (not as wide) with some covered and some uncovered. The Princess MS may sleep more people. Neither of the cabins really get you any tangible suite amenities. I would compare itineraries and price and select the best deal.

Thanks for all the replies, they were very helpful. We wanted to try HAL, so we booked a Signature Suite guarantee leaving in a month. Maybe we'll get upgraded to a Neptune Suite or at least be offered an upsell!

That triggers another question: Does HAL offer at the pier upsells if higher categories are still available and if so, are the rates discounted or full-fare?

That triggers another question: Does HAL offer at the pier upsells if higher categories are still available and if so, are the rates discounted or full-fare?

It's rare that the ship is not sailing full, but it does happen.

When the ship is not full you can discuss an upgrade with the Front Desk, but be prepared to pay full fare. If you truly want an upgrade, it's best to arrange that before day of embarkation.

Thanks for all the replies, they were very helpful. We wanted to try HAL, so we booked a Signature Suite guarantee leaving in a month. Maybe we'll get upgraded to a Neptune Suite or at least be offered an upsell!

Most (not all) of the time free upgrades are in your general category (Signature in your case). What HAL tries to do is starting about 2-4 weeks prior to sailing they will send you (or your travel agent) an email offering a "paid upgrade" (also referred to as an upsell on this board). For a 7 day cruise, this generally runs $200-300 per person to go from a Signature to a Neptune suite. Of course, this amount varies by length of cruise and how many cabins they are trying to upsell.