Prediction for the future of the cruise industry...

kevingastreich

It seems to me that with the proliferation of up-charges, surcharges, extra fees, etc. that plague the cruise industry these days, that it won't be long before cruise lines revert back to the full on caste system that was employed in past years. You know, First Class, 2nd, Class, Steerage, etc. Once you pay your fare...you stay with your people. No mingling with the upper crust, or having to endure the unwashed masses. It would eliminate the accounting hassle of charging $29 just to get into the Pinnacle Grill (on non-Le Circe nights of course) and then having to charge and extra $10-$20 (depending on size of tail) for lobster. I predict the cruise lines will simplify the whole thing and just go full on caste system. Sorta like HAL does now with the whole "Neptune" thing. What do you think?

If your 'caste system' goes into full effect on HAL -- I am gone. The Pinnacle breakfast and lunch (or special MDR area) for the suites and the Neptune Club (which is mostly unseen) does not bother me all that much - just a bit - as they serve the same food. One reason I do not sail Cunard as I would be steerage class.

It seems to me that with the proliferation of up-charges, surcharges, extra fees, etc. that plague the cruise industry these days, that it won't be long before cruise lines revert back to the full on caste system

That makes no sense. The whole trend in both the hospitality industry and the travel industry is to go to a "chinese menu" system (1 from col. A, 2 from col. B, 1 from col. C, etc.) so that people can buy exactly the items they want (even TV suppliers are experimenting with unbundling channels). This is the direct opposite of your so-called "caste" system.

Today on HAL I can book an inside cabin, but add a cabana, eat in the PG or Canaletto, etc. Next they'll be offering priority boarding/unboarding/tendering for a fee...

That makes no sense. The whole trend in both the hospitality industry and the travel industry is to go to a "chinese menu" system (1 from col. A, 2 from col. B, 1 from col. C, etc.) so that people can buy exactly the items they want (even TV suppliers are experimenting with unbundling channels). This is the direct opposite of your so-called "caste" system.

Today on HAL I can book an inside cabin, but add a cabana, eat in the PG or Canaletto, etc. Next they'll be offering priority boarding/unboarding/tendering for a fee...

There no longer is priority boarding. So many people qualify for it now that it is impossible to call it priority. :)

If your 'caste system' goes into full effect on HAL -- I am gone. The Pinnacle breakfast and lunch (or special MDR area) for the suites and the Neptune Club (which is mostly unseen) does not bother me all that much - just a bit - as they serve the same food. One reason I do not sail Cunard as I would be steerage class.

I've turned down up sells to Neptune suites, the food is the same regardless of where you sit to eat it. Not much of a perk if it the food is standard for the fleet. M

OP, I take it you mean this post/Thread title and content to be a tongue in cheek type ..............:confused: I cannot believe that the old class system would work in today's society.

Totally agree.

;)

I was so disappointed last night. I was booking excursions for our April cruise and I was not able to select those reserved for Neptune Suite passengers only. Does this mean we will just be thrown in with the general passengers? ;)

Come on folks the product is a 'menu' from when you sail, where you sail, who you sail with, what cabin you choose, what you eat; and what you drink. Your fare/bill is based on the choices you make.

Dennis

Edited by kelleherdl

There's an old adage in the travel and tourist lexicon: "Mass follows class"

See how the uber well to do traveler is doing now and you will see where the mass markets are headed.

This isn't always good. 25-30 years ago,most of the Caribbean was relatively untouched by mass tourism. Look at St. Thomas today. Kind of sad really, and other islands as well.

Time marches on.

To me the benefit of having breakfast in the Pinnacle isn't the food per se, it's the atmosphere, privacy, and service compared to the MDR or Lido.

Roz

We have yet to sail HAL but we have our first cruise booked in a Neptune suite. We have sailed Princess in a suite and loved breakfast in Sabatini's. Scrambled eggs are pretty much scrambled eggs but there is a difference in the services provided. We are looking forward to breakfast in the Pinnacle.

Why is it any different than hotels with concierge class lounges?

Book a certain category hotel room and have use of a lounge for breakfast, snacks, newspapers, cocktails (sometimes) etc

Time and again we read here someone says "You get what you pay for". Sometime you hope you do get what you pay for. There have been times we paid for it but didn't get it. :rolleyes:

It seems to me that with the proliferation of up-charges, surcharges, extra fees, etc. that plague the cruise industry these days, that it won't be long before cruise lines revert back to the full on caste system that was employed in past years. You know, First Class, 2nd, Class, Steerage, etc. Once you pay your fare...you stay with your people. No mingling with the upper crust, or having to endure the unwashed masses. It would eliminate the accounting hassle of charging $29 just to get into the Pinnacle Grill (on non-Le Circe nights of course) and then having to charge and extra $10-$20 (depending on size of tail) for lobster. I predict the cruise lines will simplify the whole thing and just go full on caste system. Sorta like HAL does now with the whole "Neptune" thing. What do you think?

Future will tell. In the meantime, please use paragrahs, so its easier to read, Thanks :)

Future will tell. In the meantime, please use paragrahs, so its easier to read, Thanks :)

I didn't find any of the OP's post hard to read, and I do have difficulty sometimes with my aging eyes.:o Glaring, huge letters which are bolded are usually an eyeball assault to me! However, this was a one-paragraph post without need to separate it into more paragraphs. I also noticed this is the second such post you have made this evening. I do hope you are not having issues with your eyes, and I am only posting this as I would hate the OP to think he/she was being chastised when they have done nothing wrong, whilst sympathising with your difficulty in reading a post.

Yes, agreed with you. One paragraph is fine,

I am afraid I was trying to make a point of writers not using all of the infinite space available.

It is so much more enjoyable to read prose when it is properly spaced.

Just saying :)

Double spacing wastes paper. :p