Just off the Veendam!

chefestelle

This was a great break! Here are my observations for the inquiring minds. More details can be found in the Feliz Navidad thread I started.

Overall observations: DD thinks this is the most comfortable and easy way to travel. I have to agree. I would enjoy more time in ports but I don't imagine that is affordable with port fees and ship business lost to the destinations. I see more cruises in our future. She did find a small ship a bit boring for the lack of activities. I did hear a young man grumble about the same thing. I hope the Eurodam has more to offer since our frequent travellers on this site say there are fewer kids on the longer trips. I am quite fine with the lazier pace.

Was there any trouble with the plumbing? Not for us. Occasionally the toilet emitted odd smells (and not form us!) but the shower ran hot with great pressure. There were occasional bouts of sewage smells in the halls at about midship but they were not stop strong and did not seem to last.

Air conditioning: the temperature seemed very well regulated through the wall controls. We didn't prop our door open or crank the temperature too far up or down. We had a bit of a problem when I got sunburned and felt chilly but DD went a lovely tan colour and was perfectly comfortable... That's a human conflict, though!

Storage: we had lots of room to put whatever we needed into drawers and cupboards and our rigid cases fit easily under the beds. The closets offered plenty in the way of hangers, shelves and drawers.

Beds: I found the beds narrow and almost too firm. However, I slept well and woke rested so this is really an observation rather than a complaint.

Was there noro? Oh yes! It started pretty much on the first day at sea and built til the 24th. From day one, we saw staff washing walls and rails; dispensers cranked and groaned all day; staff encouraged hand washing and disinfecting and we were asked to clear our surfaces to allow for counter washing. Even still, it spread. By day three, the Lido was no longer self serve. We never got it, happily. Too much OCD in our family. Everyone was most pleased with the sharp decline in cases on Xmas eve though.

Shows: I don't know how anyone has time for these. I felt like the days ripped by and I was pleasantly exhausted enough at the end that I just wanted to read and relax on the deck. I'm sure they were good though. I caught the strings in the explorer lounge area, the piano guy and the guitar guy. They were all talented and enjoyable.

Room service: I doubt I'll stop using it because I just don't care to bound out of bed, shower and traipse off to have breakfast with the masses. I love morning relaxation and the luxury of having breakfast brought to me. However, having hot food brought in great volumes through the ship really seems to detract from its quality. Trade offs...

Signature beverage package: we got these with a really good deal. I wouldn't get them without, though. We didn't come close to fifteen drinks a day. DD had probably four to five including her virgin daiquiris, her latte and occasional water. I would have done better if I hadn't pre ordered the gin and tonic for the room, but I averaged five drinks a day including my latte.

I think that about covers it! We had a great time and we are looking forward to our Mediterranean cruise in July!