Opinions on Retreat Cabanas in Norway

1of4

:) :D

We booked a cruise! Whoop! Not a big deal to most but for us, me specifically, this is HUGE. Especially after having to cancel one with friends in May 2016 due to medical reasons.

It is not until July 2017 but heck, I needed something to pull me through the next 6 months of medical appointments.

So here is where you come in as I really do want advice. We booked the Koningsdam in July 2017 going right up to the tip of Norway. 14 days. This is the first ship we will be on with the retreat cabanas. We have booked one of the family ocean view staterooms...because of the space! 230 sq feet with two showers and more closets than we have ever had before!! But it is on Main Deck as they all are.

I really debated with myself as I love to take pictures and sit in quiet. But this is not a hot cruise weather wise (I don't think). Port intensive but some days are scenic cruising.

What do you think about the cabanas for this type of itinerary? Do they have space heaters? Would it be too windy up on the top deck? I am not a Crow's Nest sitter (nothing wrong with it) but I like to take pictures and the windows up there are tinted. The temperature is okay (I am Canadian after all) but the wind would make the difference.

Has anyone been on a cruise up the coast of Norway and would you get benefit out of a retreat cabana?

Edited by 1of4

I've done two Norway cruises, both in July and they were not warm-weather cruises. This was back in the days of QE2, so there was no question about cabanas or balconies. We had an OV cabin and spent lots of time on deck--but not sunbathing.

The most beautiful scenery I've ever seen was in the Norwegian fjords. I liked it better than Alaska and it even nudged out Yosemite. I took lots of great pictures. I wouldn't want to be "captive" in one place in a cabana. I'd want to be free to move around to get lots of different shots. I don't know what K'dam's deck space is like, but I'd get up high on an open deck and go crazy with the camera.

I hope your medical issues get resolved and you can make this cruise a great celebration!

Very glad you were able to book a cruise:) I have followed some of your posts and your pictures are wonderful...I know what it does for the spirit to be able to have a cruise booked! Sorry cannot help about the cabanas. We are sailing on the Koningsdam next year but in the Caribbean.

Sorry to hear that you are having medical issues.

There have not been heaters for the Cabanas on any of the ships that we have been on and I doubt if the Koningsdam will have them.

When we did the Fjords and various other Baltic cruises, even though we had a verandah -- I was out and about on the decks taking pictures as the views in some areas were all around the ship.

Get well soon.

First, I am thrilled to read that you now feel well enough to even consider a cruise! That's a huge improvement.

Next, I have sailed up the coast of Norway, including to the top, and beyond, more times than I can count (10? 12? whatever).

Here's my thinking on the matter.... Unless you want the Retreat for a special purpose, like family gathering, then I would save the money. I like being truly outside when I am in such spectacular scenery. I want to breathe the fresh air, and see the scenery with nothing between. I want to feel as if I can reach out and touch. I do not want the glass walls around the Retreat area (or any other area).

Now, since no one has actually been on the Koningsdam, we don't really know how many outdoor, sheltered (that matters in Norway) areas there are. We will have ample information on that long before you plan to sail, though.

If I were you, I would either book the cabana, with the idea of canceling it if there is ample sheltered deck space (preferably at the aft of the ship), or just keep the idea in the back of my mind, while waiting for reports on suitable public areas from which to enjoy the views.

Here's advice from a cabana addict who has never been on a cruise to this area of the world.

The family cabanas are on the corners, offering you views pretty much all around the ship (except the front). You will be 4 levels above the pool which should also give you some good sight lines. And just a quick flight down the stairs and you will be on the Sun Deck to take pictures from either side of the ship.

How the weather plays into this, I don't really know. And for any scenic cruising they might open of the bow for passengers as well.

Very encouraging that you are looking to take this cruise. Sounds like it will be quite memorable. Enjoy the planning.

Edited by OVgirl

On the Norwegian fjord cruise we made August 2014, only the day in Flamm was probably worth a cabana. It was a nice sunny warm day. However all other days were rather chilly, we needed a coat but we had no rain. However on the cruise before us the day in Flam was with lots of rain the crew told us. Weather in that region is a hit or miss.

The bow was open for scenic cruising in Alesund as well as in Flamm.

Edited by Ine

:) :D

We booked a cruise! Whoop! Not a big deal to most but for us, me specifically, this is HUGE. Especially after having to cancel one with friends in May 2016 due to medical reasons.

It is not until July 2017 but heck, I needed something to pull me through the next 6 months of medical appointments.

So here is where you come in as I really do want advice. We booked the Koningsdam in July 2017 going right up to the tip of Norway. 14 days. This is the first ship we will be on with the retreat cabanas. We have booked one of the family ocean view staterooms...because of the space! 230 sq feet with two showers and more closets than we have ever had before!! But it is on Main Deck as they all are.

I really debated with myself as I love to take pictures and sit in quiet. But this is not a hot cruise weather wise (I don't think). Port intensive but some days are scenic cruising.

What do you think about the cabanas for this type of itinerary? Do they have space heaters? Would it be too windy up on the top deck? I am not a Crow's Nest sitter (nothing wrong with it) but I like to take pictures and the windows up there are tinted. The temperature is okay (I am Canadian after all) but the wind would make the difference.

Has anyone been on a cruise up the coast of Norway and would you get benefit out of a retreat cabana?

We will be on the same cruise, but in 2016. I can give you a full report in 7 months. My husband and I are not experienced cruisers - world travelers - but definitely not experienced on cruise ships. We have only been on one prior ship - the Paul Gauguin. My husband spent 4 years in the Navy, but not the same :-)

I will be more than happy to scout out any details. Just let me know your questions and concerns.

Francine

First, I am thrilled to read that you now feel well enough to even consider a cruise! That's a huge improvement.

Next, I have sailed up the coast of Norway, including to the top, and beyond, more times than I can count (10? 12? whatever).

Here's my thinking on the matter.... Unless you want the Retreat for a special purpose, like family gathering, then I would save the money. I like being truly outside when I am in such spectacular scenery. I want to breathe the fresh air, and see the scenery with nothing between. I want to feel as if I can reach out and touch. I do not want the glass walls around the Retreat area (or any other area).

Now, since no one has actually been on the Koningsdam, we don't really know how many outdoor, sheltered (that matters in Norway) areas there are. We will have ample information on that long before you plan to sail, though.

If I were you, I would either book the cabana, with the idea of canceling it if there is ample sheltered deck space (preferably at the aft of the ship), or just keep the idea in the back of my mind, while waiting for reports on suitable public areas from which to enjoy the views.

+1

This cruise is through the prettiest place on earth. It's best taken in fro around the ship and not confined to a cabana IMO.

Norway is prohibitly expensive, save your $$$ to see the magical land.

Thank you all very much for the advice and good wishes.

DH said book any cabin I wanted! :D Then he saw to look on my face process this gem and he quickly put in parameters. :rolleyes: I have always wanted to see the fjords of Norway and to take our 2 children across the Arctic Circle is just amazing. The partnership with BBC Earth will be a great opportunity for them.

Balcony cabin vs all the space in the family oceanview...it was quite a quandary, especially since nobody really knows. Thanks Francine for the offer of info. I will head over to your roll call and start reading and taking notes.

Perhaps the best of all world's would be for us to reserve a Lido cabana as DD and DS will be in The Loft on this voyage (13 and 15) so no signing them in and out of Club Hal so if we had a cabana they could head there and meet us. Anyone who has been on a ship with us knows that our two are not permitted to run lose about the ship. They are either in the children's program or with us. I am mean that way, but we love family time and enjoy our time onboard together.

But I agree that the best place to be is...out and about.

Thank you all very much for the advice and good wishes.

DH said book any cabin I wanted! :D Then he saw to look on my face process this gem and he quickly put in parameters. :rolleyes: I have always wanted to see the fjords of Norway and to take our 2 children across the Arctic Circle is just amazing. The partnership with BBC Earth will be a great opportunity for them.

Balcony cabin vs all the space in the family oceanview...it was quite a quandary, especially since nobody really knows. Thanks Francine for the offer of info. I will head over to your roll call and start reading and taking notes.

Perhaps the best of all world's would be for us to reserve a Lido cabana as DD and DS will be in The Loft on this voyage (13 and 15) so no signing them in and out of Club Hal so if we had a cabana they could head there and meet us. Anyone who has been on a ship with us knows that our two are not permitted to run lose about the ship. They are either in the children's program or with us. I am mean that way, but we love family time and enjoy our time onboard together.

But I agree that the best place to be is...out and about.

Keep us updated about your health problems and recovery.

• 2 months later...

We're taking the 7- day Viking in July 2016, family Oceanview with family retreat cabana. I like the idea of having outdoor space and somewhere to meet up with our 14-yr old twins without having to go to our room on the the main deck, even though only 2 sea days and unpredictable weather. I hope we can agree to stay on board the 3rd port and enjoy the ship to ourselves and relax. I will report back on how it all worked out.

We're taking the 7- day Viking in July 2016, family Oceanview with family retreat cabana. I like the idea of having outdoor space and somewhere to meet up with our 14-yr old twins without having to go to our room on the the main deck, even though only 2 sea days and unpredictable weather. I hope we can agree to stay on board the 3rd port and enjoy the ship to ourselves and relax. I will report back on how it all worked out.

I don't know what your third port will be, but reconsider staying on the ship. We do stay on board in port if it's somewhere we've been before (like St Thomas), but if it's a port you haven't been to, I think seeing a new place is a better use of time than sitting in a cabana.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

You will love that family cabana. Have a great time!

About a month ago I went into our booking on the HAL site and saw a red flashing "upgrade to a verandah for free" notice. I am not sure if this was before I logged in and it was on the general site or once I logged in and was in our booking page.

I thought nothing lost in asking so I emailed the TA and said the lowest verandah is not a quad but specifically requested the cost on the not-so-secret double verandahs (VB 4154, 4156). On all other ships if these verandahs exist they are for 2 only. Koningsdam they are both quad cabins.

The reply came back quickly that we could upgrade for $600 total. Although we were looking forward to the extra storage room and second shower, we jumped as I love a verandah. We have had no issue with the storage on any of our HAL cruises with 4 of us in a cabin so it was a tradeoff we were willing to accept.

We MAY book a lido cabana if available to meet DD and DS when they leave The Loft. We have friends on the Koningsdam in May and they are going to take a look for us. We have never seen Lido cabanas so we have no opinion on them.

Anything sounds warmer than what we have been going through. Day 3 of an ice storm. Lost power, couldn't go outside for over a day and everything is encased in an inch of ice. Spring is nowhere in sight and the Easter Bunny better know how to skate! But it is supposed to go above zero today so we hope some may melt as the trees are falling all around us.

The reply came back quickly that we could upgrade for $600 total. Although we were looking forward to the extra storage room and second shower, we jumped as I love a verandah. We have had no issue with the storage on any of our HAL cruises with 4 of us in a cabin so it was a tradeoff we were willing to accept.

Woo-Woo! Congratulations on the great deal. :D

I was upgraded to a veranda on a Norway cruise one time. Loved it! I was out there for at least a portion of every single day, and for hours at a time on most of them. The scenery is too gorgeous, and the air too fresh, to go back inside.

About a month ago I went into our booking on the HAL site and saw a red flashing "upgrade to a verandah for free" notice. I am not sure if this was before I logged in and it was on the general site or once I logged in and was in our booking page.

I thought nothing lost in asking so I emailed the TA and said the lowest verandah is not a quad but specifically requested the cost on the not-so-secret double verandahs (VB 4154, 4156). On all other ships if these verandahs exist they are for 2 only. Koningsdam they are both quad cabins.

We MAY book a lido cabana if available to meet DD and DS when they leave The Loft. We have friends on the Koningsdam in May and they are going to take a look for us. We have never seen Lido cabanas so we have no opinion on them.

Anything sounds warmer than what we have been going through. Day 3 of an ice storm. Lost power, couldn't go outside for over a day and everything is encased in an inch of ice. Spring is nowhere in sight and the Easter Bunny better know how to skate! But it is supposed to go above zero today so we hope some may melt as the trees are falling all around us.

Wow! Fantastic deal! With that large balcony, you may not need the cabana as a meeting place. The balcony might become your family hang-out.

Sorry to hear about the ice storm. Stay warm!

Woo-Woo! Congratulations on the great deal. :D

I was upgraded to a veranda on a Norway cruise one time. Loved it! I was out there for at least a portion of every single day, and for hours at a time on most of them. The scenery is too gorgeous, and the air too fresh, to go back inside.

Thanks for letting me know Ruth. The crisp air won't bother us and I so love to sit and look at scenery. I will meet up with a 20+ year pen/quilting friend in Stavanger, our first port, so it is looking good.

Wow! Fantastic deal! With that large balcony, you may not need the cabana as a meeting place. The balcony might become your family hang-out.

Sorry to hear about the ice storm. Stay warm!

Good point! I hadn't thought of that.

DD was just outside bashing ice with a hammer. It is over thick and even the birds are slipping and sliding trying to get to the seed!