Are transatlantics too much sea time??

snookie1

The experience of 2 sea days in a row was enough to make me realize that 3 would be too many...

We had seven sea days when we sailed Legend through the Panama Canal in August 2014. Of those, three were in a row. We LOVED those days. We relaxed, we sat in the sun, we sat in the shade, we read books, we made friends, we relaxed.

I'm so excited about the four sea days in a row we're having between Azores and Bermuda.

Would seem to me, loads of sea days IS the reason for doing a TA, thats at least how we've decided to so far go on 2 TA's and will go on another next October to bring the Vista over. That TA will ONLY be 13 days, with 8 days at sea, 4 consecutive during the crossing to Bermuda.

Breeze TA in Nov 2012 was 15 days, 9 sea days, the crossing to Miami was 5 days from the Canaries...we were amazed at how calm the seas were during the crossing and the weather was awesome....we figured we totally lucked out.

But then, in Nov 2013, we did the Sunshine TA, 16 days, 11 sea days total, with 6 consecutive sea days from the Canaries...those sea days and weather were even BETTER than the year before on the Breeze...we DEFINITlELY lucked out!!

So next October, we may not feel like our luck will run out, but we're going into it thinking the first 2 TA"S were a more southerly route, and even in November not totally surprised the weather was good. Doing a more northern route in October, weather may not be as kind, but we'll see how it goes, but confident we'll enjoy the trip.

Edited by bar1068

I would love to do a transatlantic. Are the seas very rough though? Not sure DH could handle sustained rough seas....

On our one TA we sailed through a hurricane remnant with a 60-70mpg gale. We were on an upper deck balcony and did not feel very much motion in the ship. It was only when we went down to the deck 3 lobby did we realize how large the seas were. For the most part the ship was very stable.

What if your ship loses all power 2 or 3 days into the crossing? Don't think the Coast Guard will come to the rescue as they did with the Triumph...Yah, I am somewhat paranoid...

We'll float in the ocean until help arrives and we'll have great stories to tell those back home.

I'm not going to "what if" every cruise we take.

Edited by stargate fan

I do tas every year because my husband likes them. Me, I want ports. But, we cruise multiple times per year, at least 6. Depends on your cruising frequency, perhaps?

Vista is our first ta. I'm so excited!

Legend's first leg of repositioning to Sydney, 13 days from Tampa to Long Beach and through the Panama Canal, really spoiled me.

Four ports, one Canal day, and seven sea days were heavenly.

It's hard for me to sail regular seven day cruises now. :eek: I'll gladly suffer, though. :D

Another transatlantic addict here - Vista will be my 4th crossing and as far as I'm concerned there are never too many sea days!

My experiences so far have been excellent with smooth seas and hot weather - but I am anticipating the Vista might be a bit different as it is heading to NYC and not thru the Caribbean to miami or another more 'southern' port.

You can check out my Breeze transatlantic review (see link in signature below) to check out weather and activities :D

Edited by Froufie

Stay away from Ta's they are terrible

all those sea days too relax and not think about work:p

We have done 2 and have 2 more booked

a combination of ships activities, playing games, reading books and just lounging on our balcony those sea days pass really fast:o

I loved the sea days on mine. I just didn't think the average age would be 62, that was a shock to me.

On the Legend cruise, the CD announced that the average age on the sailing was 70. These were the most spry 70 year olds! There were hardly any walkers nor scooters, far fewer than on the seven day cruises we've taken, every venue we visited was full late into the nights. We commented that we want to be like those 70 year old passengers when we grow up. :D

Hi all!

Just want to thank the OP for starting the thread & AdrenalineRush for posting the Vista TA itinerary.:D I'm now booked on this sailing & really looking forward to it even though I'm more of a ports person. Did one TA on Emerald Princess in 2008 & thought I'd never do another but this one has so much going for it with Bermuda & NYC at this end. The roll call is also fantastic, best I've ever seen!

Thanks again, now to save the money to pay the cost of it!;)

~ Jo ~ :)

I've only done one TA and I loved it! We sailed in the month of December from Barcelona to Miami. We had 3 foot seas and 75 degree weather the entire time. Loved the 5 days at sea in a row from the Canary Islands to Antigua! If air wasn't so much from Fairbanks, Alaska to Europe, I'd have booked another couple of these by now.