Alaska Flight Questions...

Thrak

We are booked on a Princess Connoisseur cruisetour in June, 2016. We fly to Fairbanks, do a 6 day land tour, then have a 7 day cruse to Vancouver. (We'll take the train home from there. :))

My questions are:

1. How far out should I book the airfare?

2. Should I use Princess Air or just book my own flights on Alaska Airlines?

3. The flights I looked at in the past tended to arrive very late (or early) like 11:30 PM or 1:30 AM. This was true of the Princess Air flights that were automagically selected when I last looked at this issue. That would put me in Fairbanks very early on the morning of the first included hotel stay. Is this a bad idea or is this the norm?

4. If I don't use Princess Air should I have my TA book flights or would I be better off booking myself?

We are booked on a Princess Connoisseur cruisetour in June, 2016. We fly to Fairbanks, do a 6 day land tour, then have a 7 day cruse to Vancouver. (We'll take the train home from there. :))

My questions are:

3. The flights I looked at in the past tended to arrive very late (or early) like 11:30 PM or 1:30 AM. This was true of the Princess Air flights that were automagically selected when I last looked at this issue. That would put me in Fairbanks very early on the morning of the first included hotel stay. Is this a bad idea or is this the norm?

4. If I don't use Princess Air should I have my TA book flights or would I be better off booking myself?

I would buy my own airline tickets and not think further about it. Alaska Airlines has umpteen flights and possible connection points to get you from virtually any northern California airport to FAI. What airport are you flying out of?

The reason you're seeing late night arrivals at FAI is that Alaska only has a couple of daily nonstops into FAI that leave Seattle at times that allow for connections from California. Their other nonstops leave in the morning and would require you to fly into Seattle the night before. Remember, however, that in June it won't be dark even at 1 in the morning in Fairbanks, so I don't think there's much risk in arriving late at night or in the early morning.

I'd be surprised if prices will fall much between now and summer, but you're probably safe watching fares for another few weeks, and if you see something that's unusually cheap, pull the trigger.

1. Whenever you see a fare you can live with.

2. I book my own flights. I don't need a middleman doing something I can easily do myself.

3. Those arrival times probably are the result of limited flights. The only inconvenience of arriving early morning is that you likely can't get into your room til the afternoon, so you won't be able to rest or shower right away. But you can check your bags with the hotel staff and head out sightseeing.

4. Why use a TA? They will likely charge you a fee to do so and there's no reason to pay a fee to book flights you can easily book yourself.

4. Why use a TA? They will likely charge you a fee to do so and there's no reason to pay a fee to book flights you can easily book yourself.

The main reason people use TA's for flights these days is for situations like this week with air travel - all kinds of cancellations. It is way easier to reach a TA to rebook something for you vs. trying to do it at the airport (thousands of people in a long line) or on the phone with the airline (extremely long hold times unless you have status, and even then sometimes long hold times). My TA has come through for me multiple times in such situations and a good TA is worth their weight in gold and worth any small fee that is paid to them. There are lots of things in life we pay a fee for that we could easily do ourselves. Sometimes the financial cost is worth it to some people.

Edited by frugaltravel

The main reason people use TA's for flights these days is for situations like this week with air travel - all kinds of cancellations. It is way easier to reach a TA to rebook something for you vs. trying to do it at the airport (thousands of people in a long line) or on the phone with the airline (extremely long hold times unless you have status, and even then sometimes long hold times). My TA has come through for me multiple times in such situations and a good TA is worth their weight in gold and worth any small fee that is paid to them. There are lots of things in life we pay a fee for that we could easily do ourselves. Sometimes the financial cost is worth it to some people.

To each his own. Situations like this week are the exception rather than the rule, but if it gives you peace of mind to always use a TA then that is certainly your choice.

Which ever way you book, I always recommend adding a few days, with a rental car, since there is so much to see and do out of Fairbanks, which cruise tours, don't allow. example, you have a superb opportunity to consider a fly/road tour up to Deadhorse/Prudhoe Bay, and experience the Arctic Ocean and midnight sun. :) (one of my favorite tours :) )

Edited by Budget Queen

To each his own. Situations like this week are the exception rather than the rule, but if it gives you peace of mind to always use a TA then that is certainly your choice.

Exception rather than the rule except when the rule often becomes the exception :D. How many times have we seen severe weather issues in December around Christmas? I think every year for the past 5-6 years! I wouldn't say I always use a travel agent, but there are many times when I do and many times when it has saved me.

I think it all depends on your comfort level. If you have enough experiences with travel and the knowledge of what to do if problems arise do it yourself. if you don't love and trust your TA I wouldn't use them. I have used cruise air in the past and I don't have a problem using them. The more time cushion you have the less likely you will have any problems making the cruise.

Shak

Exception rather than the rule except when the rule often becomes the exception :D. How many times have we seen severe weather issues in December around Christmas? I think every year for the past 5-6 years! I wouldn't say I always use a travel agent, but there are many times when I do and many times when it has saved me.

Still more the exception than the rule. I typically fly two round trips every December and by and large they have been problem-free. Bad weather happens, but overall it's the exception. Again though, to each his own.

You book cruises through an agent......

You book air yourself as the agent has zero leverage with the airlines..

In most cases you can get much better fares yourself...except for one way's international.

Same goes for buying through any third party..Price line, Hot Wire etc.. Book direct as with a 3 rd party you dont own the ticket and can't make changes...youhave tohave the 3 ed party do any change.... not great

I would out out of Sac orSMf take Alaska, I would avoid Delta totaly.

Why? Alaska is part of the American airlines one world. and has good benifits. Sign up for Alaska FF program,, get one of their creditcards astheyhave a special like 30,000 miles for sign up. They also offer an annual $99 companion fare for you. They are flying allover as they code share with AA... now the largest in the world system. Build miles and over the years every dime will add up to benifits to you. You do not have to fly. just use the card for your personal expense from gas to gum/

Deltas programis the worst in the industry...their points are known as sky pesos....worthless. GO AA

Alaska is part of the American airlines one world.
No they're not, they're just partners with AA among other Oneworld members including BA, Qantas, Cathay Pacific and Lan. They're also partners with some Skyteam members like Delta, KLM/Air France and Korean, and with unaligned carriers like Icelandair and Emirates. The only alliance where Alaska DOESN'T have partnerships with members is Star Alliance (United, Air Canada, Lufthansa etc.)

Got the AA card. I don't like that it's through BofA (I really don't like BofA!) but I can deal with that. I won't use it for gas as buying gas on credit is most often 10 cents a gallon more expensive. I will use it for everything else - groceries, cell phone, garbage collection, etc. I don't mind having a giant credit card bill at the end of the month as I will just pay it off each month. I don't do interest...

I'm still undecided at to whether to arrive a day or two early but I'll discuss it with my wife. If she wants to arrive early I don't mind. If something makes her happy it (usually) makes me happy.

We will definitely fly out of SMF. SEA is way far from us and Sacramento is only 1 hours away.

I would out out of Sac orSMf take Alaska, I would avoid Delta totaly.

Why? Alaska is part of the American airlines one world. and has good benifits.

Deltas programis the worst in the industry...their points are known as sky pesos....worthless. GO AA

Actually, Alaska also partners with Delta, so if you are already a Sky Miles member you can get SM when you fly Alaska. And the "sky peso" program certainly has its fault but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's totally worthless. I got great deals using sky miles to fly business to and from Africa next summer. The "pay with miles" program also has some value.

Got the AA card. I don't like that it's through BofA (I really don't like BofA!) but I can deal with that. I won't use it for gas as buying gas on credit is most often 10 cents a gallon more expensive. I will use it for everything else - groceries, cell phone, garbage collection, etc. I don't mind having a giant credit card bill at the end of the month as I will just pay it off each month. I don't do interest...

I'm still undecided at to whether to arrive a day or two early but I'll discuss it with my wife. If she wants to arrive early I don't mind. If something makes her happy it (usually) makes me happy.

We will definitely fly out of SMF. SEA is way far from us and Sacramento is only 1 hours away.

Use your Annual Companion Ticket to fly round trip for $99 plus taxes. This must be on an Alaska plane not a code share but it's not capacity controlled and is available with any coach fare. We bring our Grandkids to Hawaii using $99 companion tiks. That will cut the cost of your tiks to Alaska!

You can useAK miles onAA.

In a study done by Frequent Flyer, there was a comparison of AA, UA ,Delta

in what was the ability to use your FF miles for international Business

UAL---86%

AA----72%

Delta---33%....hence sky peso

There is a new AA card through CITI that gives 50,000 for sign up Chuck your Bof A and the this....its ok to have several as the overall advantage of miles outweighs any annual fee. Iliketo Keep at least 150K of AA milesand 500K UAL in the bank should I need em.... You can get that level too...in less than afew years...think big pictire

Just so we are clear:

AS = Alaska Airlines

AA = American Airlines

People often think AA is Alaska Air because of the initials. Because we live in Oregon we fly AS almost exclusively as they fly (or their Partners) fly nearly everywhere we travel. We flew to Business Class on KLM this Fall using AS miles. Prefer to fly Alaska Metal (not code shares) in order to use Companion Tickets @ $99 Round Trip for grandkids to Hawaii & Orlando. I use this card for everything and pay it in full monthly. Because of the ease of Award Travel and the Companion Tiks for our family we think it's a great bargain and has saved us a lot of money!

Fyi, seeing one-way Delta, SMF>FAI $160. for the month of June. (connection in SEA)

Hard to beat.

Probly won't last long.

With Alaska Companion Ticket flying Alaska flights (no code shares) this itinerary is $99 plus tax Round Trip. :)

when you decide on $$$ for a fare...every time you jump from this to that.

The secret is pick one airline..stick with it develop a relation. It will pay off in spades... If you plan of flying and traveling over the next 10 years you accrue massive $$$ benifits . Not so with jump to this or that... its your money and in the long run going for the cheap means loosing.

With Alaska Companion Ticket flying Alaska flights (no code shares) this itinerary is $99 plus tax Round Trip. :)

I've never flown AS so correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have to purchase one ticket at whatever the regular price is, and then you get an additional companion ticket for $99? So it could be a lot more than what the prior poster found when priced out for 2 people. ??

I've never flown AS so correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have to purchase one ticket at whatever the regular price is, and then you get an additional companion ticket for $99? So it could be a lot more than what the prior poster found when priced out for 2 people. ??

Yes you are absolutely correct AND on occasion you can find a better deal AND if you can be sure and grab it fast as those fares usually last minutes! I am from Anchorage and travel there often. I take the direct Morning flight from Portland and skip Seattle all together.

Summer flights during tourist season are notoriously high and seats are scarce so advance planning is crucial. Frankly for me those Companion Tiks are a life saver. In our family of 6 adults and 5 grandkids we share them to get everyone where each family needs to be. We have 6 Companion tickets between us and

Usually find the best price using this method.

If those other tickets are still available I'd grab them ASAP.

Have a wonderful cruise, you are going the best time of year though Faurbanks may still be chilly (but the skeeters won't be out yet)!

• 2 weeks later...
I would buy my own airline tickets and not think further about it. Alaska Airlines has umpteen flights and possible connection points to get you from virtually any northern California airport to FAI. What airport are you flying out of?

The reason you're seeing late night arrivals at FAI is that Alaska only has a couple of daily nonstops into FAI that leave Seattle at times that allow for connections from California. Their other nonstops leave in the morning and would require you to fly into Seattle the night before. Remember, however, that in June it won't be dark even at 1 in the morning in Fairbanks, so I don't think there's much risk in arriving late at night or in the early morning.

I'd be surprised if prices will fall much between now and summer, but you're probably safe watching fares for another few weeks, and if you see something that's unusually cheap, pull the trigger.

Hi Thrak, we are also flying out of SMF to FAI for a three day land portion and then a southbound cruise to Vancouver on 6/1. We just got our air from Princess after checking both Princess and direct booking ourselves. We found Princess to be as cheap if not a little more so and had as many options. We leave SMF late morning and arrive FAI at 8:48PM with stops in SEA and Anchorage. FAI is just not an easy place to get to. Have fun on your tour.

Bob