Mini bar exchanges

moonhunter

I feel quite sure this question has been posed a number of times, but never quite like this. We have been elite for a while and have changed our mini bar for a bottle of wine ($30) or two coffee cards ($60), but I think we would be much better off to keep the liquor ad soft drinks. The problem is, we would want to trade the sodas for Diet Coke ad most of the liquor for gin or vodka. How can we go about communicating that? It seems like we would be way ahead on the money doing this, but it is a lot to communicate over the phone.

We do this every time - just call Room Service and go line-by-line about what we want to get rid of and what we want to replace it with. They usually have to do it that way because of the language barrier and the form they fill out. We've always had it delivered correctly when we take the time to go through it with them slowly.

There are many times when we've traded all the alcohol for vodka and all the soft drinks for Diet Coke. You still have to go line-by-line with them: "2 Sprites for 2 Diet Cokes, 2 Dewar's for 2 vodkas"...

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

I feel quite sure this question has been posed a number of times, but never quite like this. We have been elite for a while and have changed our mini bar for a bottle of wine ($30) or two coffee cards ($60), but I think we would be much better off to keep the liquor ad soft drinks. The problem is, we would want to trade the sodas for Diet Coke ad most of the liquor for gin or vodka. How can we go about communicating that? It seems like we would be way ahead on the money doing this, but it is a lot to communicate over the phone.

I just call the day I board and they make all my exchanges, no problem.

They wouldn't let me trade it for a bottle of Korbel. What ship were you on that let you change for wine? I haven't tried it since I was told no years ago on the Sapphire, but maybe it's time to ask again. :)

I just call the day I board and they make all my exchanges, no problem.

They wouldn't let me trade it for a bottle of Korbel. What ship were you on that let you change for wine? I haven't tried it since I was told no years ago on the Sapphire, but maybe it's time to ask again. :)

This is from the Captain's Circle questions section & maybe you could exchange it for Korbel if it's under $40.

Question: Can I exchange the items in my Elite mini-bar for wine?

Answer: You may exchange all of your mini-bar items for one bottle of wine valued at $40 or less.

https://book.princess.com/captaincircle/contactUs.page#elite_mini-Bar

This is from the Captain's Circle questions section & maybe you could exchange it for Korbel if it's under $40.

Question: Can I exchange the items in my Elite mini-bar for wine?

Answer: You may exchange all of your mini-bar items for one bottle of wine valued at $40 or less.

Thanks! I may just show that to them. I don't drink hard liquor so I usually exchange for Coor's Lite, but I'd much rather have a bottle of Korbel. It's only 25 bucks on board. Maybe because it's champagne?

Going on the Crown in 3 weeks. Gonna try again. Thanks for the heads-up!

Thanks! I may just show that to them. I don't drink hard liquor so I usually exchange for Coor's Lite, but I'd much rather have a bottle of Korbel. It's only 25 bucks on board. Maybe because it's champagne?

Going on the Crown in 3 weeks. Gonna try again. Thanks for the heads-up!

Probably a good idea to have a copy from the Princess website because the amount has recently changed to $40 which as I recall was previously about $30. We usually exchange our minibar for Diet Coke and beer but sometimes for 2 coffee cards.

Hopefully it works for you & you'll have a great cruise on the Crown. We sailed a CA Coastal on the Crown in October and going again in April. We enjoyed the new "Magic to Do" production show. :)

Probably a good idea to have a copy from the Princess website because the amount has recently changed to $40 which as I recall was previously about $30. We usually exchange our minibar for Diet Coke and beer but sometimes for 2 coffee cards.

Hopefully it works for you & you'll have a great cruise on the Crown. We sailed a CA Coastal on the Crown in October and going again in April. We enjoyed the new "Magic to Do" production show. :)

Going on the Ruby in April. :D Great minds think alike. :D

We usually swap ours for coffee cards, but when we do keep the bar we swap for Sprite Zero and Skyy Vodka. Have never had any problems, just call room service after you board... although we usually wait a little while to make the call, as they are all rather frantic at boarding time. :)

We have never had a problem exchanging both liquor and soda. We simply call room service, and let them know that sometime during our first day, we want to exchange all alcohol for Skyy Vodka, and all sodas for bottles of water.

The room service person shows up, normally sometime between a half hour and it seems never more than an hour after we have called to make the exchange.

Rick

I find it quite surprising - and disappointing - that rum is not an option for the minibar, particularly on Caribbean cruises.

That is surprising to me, too. We usually exchange the bar for coffee cards, but we were considering exchanging it for rum on our Caribbean cruise next week. I guess we'll stick with the coffee cards.

I find it quite surprising - and disappointing - that rum is not an option for the minibar, particularly on Caribbean cruises.

Years ago we would always trade the entire package for 2 rum/coke packages.

There were times they gave us an entire tray of cokes (maybe 20 plus) with the bottles.

Alas no mas.

We do this every time - just call Room Service and go line-by-line about what we want to get rid of and what we want to replace it with. They usually have to do it that way because of the language barrier and the form they fill out. We've always had it delivered correctly when we take the time to go through it with them slowly.

There are many times when we've traded all the alcohol for vodka and all the soft drinks for Diet Coke. You still have to go line-by-line with them: "2 Sprites for 2 Diet Cokes, 2 Dewar's for 2 vodkas"...

THANK YOU! I intend to swap out the cans of beer for 2 cans of Sprite, and the tonic water and bottled water for cans of Coke. I intend to bring cans of Sprite with me, so I have cold soda should I wake overnight-which is usual for me.

I didn't know about the need to go through the requested substitution line-by-line, but it does make sense to be very specific with the details. Much easier to get the swap right 1st time.

I've written down the information on my Cruise Information Notepad #2, nearly need to start #3 with all the helpful information on Cruise Critic. :D

Do you know if the items can be exchanged for bottled water? We have an unused coffee card left from last cruisr, we don't drink hard liquor or much soda, and my husband can only drink so many beers on our six day cruise!

The link I previously posted says you can exchange the minibar for "eight (8) 1.5 liter bottles of water":

Question: What if I don't want any alcohol in my Elite mini-bar?

Answer: If you do not wish to have any alcohol in your mini-bar we will be happy to exchange your mini-bar for one of the following:

Alcoholic beverages may be exchanged for non-alcoholic beverages on a one-for-one basis

Full mini-bar may be exchanged for two (2) Coffee Cards

All water mini-bar setup will consist of eight (8) 1.5 liter bottles of water

Do you know if the items can be exchanged for bottled water? We have an unused coffee card left from last cruisr, we don't drink hard liquor or much soda, and my husband can only drink so many beers on our six day cruise!

They are pretty flexible about the combination they can bring you. We regularly swap out our mini bar out for all water. Since it's a 20 piece mini bar they trade it out for 20 bottles of water. Quite handy for taking to the pool and packing for excursions. We've also done 15 waters and 5 diet cokes. Other times 10 waters, 5 diet cokes, 5 sprites. 13 waters and 7 beers? Yep. Other than wine and coffee cards, it's a 20 item for 20 item swap.

The $40 bottle of wine in exchange for the mini-bar setup is from the room service menu only, you can't find a $40 or less bottle from the main wine menus and request them. I certainly tried two weeks ago. And I believe that the bottle of wine must be consumed in your cabin or you would have to pay a corkage fee if you bring it to the dining room. We just brought our bottle home as we have plenty of coffee cards and don't really drink much.

Jackie

• 1 month later...
Is it possible to swap for diet tonic water? I've read on another thread that it's stocked onboard in cans.

I checked the gifts section for canned soda deals & diet tonic water was not an option.

Here are the types they show as available:

Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Diet Sprite, orange soda, soda water, tonic water, ginger ale

Edited by Astro Flyer

What can the beer be switched out for?

The Questions section of the Captain's Circle site doesn't state options for exchanging beer beyond getting non-alcoholic drinks. I exchange the mini bottles (50ml) of alcohol for beer but do not know if you can exchange beer for mini bottles of alcohol.

Edited by Astro Flyer