Pre-purchasing Onboard Credits - Princess

I'll be a first time cruiser on the Emerald, with a cruise that is going to be in AUD (or so they tell me). Can someone please explain why there is an exchange rate involved, say buying AUD$31.25 credit to get USD$25, when the cruise isn't using USD?

It makes me wonder whether it is better just to buy things in AUD onboard, rather than prepurchase any onboard credits or use the onboard reservation system at all.

I'll be a first time cruiser on the Emerald, with a cruise that is going to be in AUD (or so they tell me). Can someone please explain why there is an exchange rate involved, say buying AUD$31.25 credit to get USD$25, when the cruise isn't using USD?

It makes me wonder whether it is better just to buy things in AUD onboard, rather than prepurchase any onboard credits or use the onboard reservation system at all.

Just pay if your cruise starts or Ends in Australia (or both) and you are an Australian who booked in Australia, it will be in good old Aussie dollars.

So just buy on board.

Likewise there are problems in pricing for drinks packages, the poor little petals can't deal with the Aus$ thing.

Just pay your final either by cash or card.

Just pay if your cruise starts or Ends in Australia (or both) and you are an Australian who booked in Australia, it will be in good old Aussie dollars.

So just buy on board.

Likewise there are problems in pricing for drinks packages, the poor little petals can't deal with the Aus$ thing.

Just pay your final either by cash or card.

Thanks, GUT2407. Sounds like a good plan. :)

Do you know if the same thing happens with excursion reservations, communications, and culinary delights, or just the onboard credits?

Kunoichi, If your cruise on the Emerald Princess starts and ends in Australia then the on-board currency will be AUD. With what you said about exchange rate, I would not pay anything ahead of time. I would be concerned that they might exchange your AUD for US$, then because the ship is operating in AUD, exchange it back again and you will lose at each step. My comment could be alarmist and there might be nothing to worry about. But, I cannot see any advantage to you of paying ahead of time.

Take cash (or credit card) with you. Everything on board will be debited to your on-board account. If you take cash you can go to the Passenger Services Desk and pay that in as a credit on your account.

Thanks, GUT2407. Sounds like a good plan. :)

Do you know if the same thing happens with excursion reservations, communications, and culinary delights, or just the onboard credits?

I've never pre booked any of those, it certainly happens with drink packages, haven't booked a ships excursion in about 15 years, and never bought any culinary delights.

Currently Drinks package showing at around $76 something (last I looked which as I don't drink isn't often) but is Aus $59 on board, seems they take the $59 to be US$ and apply an exchange rate on the web site.

Last year soft drink package was $8 odd on line but I paid $7 once I boarded, coffee card was $40 something online about $30 (maybe $35 I honestly can't recall the exact number) once on board. So I expect there may be the same issue with the other items you mention.

Kunoichi, If your cruise on the Emerald Princess starts and ends in Australia then the on-board currency will be AUD. With what you said about exchange rate, I would not pay anything ahead of time. I would be concerned that they might exchange your AUD for US$, then because the ship is operating in AUD, exchange it back again and you will lose at each step. My comment could be alarmist and there might be nothing to worry about. But, I cannot see any advantage to you of paying ahead of time.

Take cash (or credit card) with you. Everything on board will be debited to your on-board account. If you take cash you can go to the Passenger Services Desk and pay that in as a credit on your account.

From October (or maybe it's September) this year it includes repositioning cruises so no longer needs to start AND end in Aus, either is enough.

Because Princess have screwed up their software as regards the AU pricing. The drinks package prices are also wrong. In fact I suspect all the Personalizer prices are wrong for AU cruise extras.

If you really want to pay some of your onboard costs ahead of time I suggest you phone Princess and discuss it with them. You should be able to buy your OBC over the phone - I have in the past. Otherwise just wait until you board.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Hi kunoichi, you are on our cruise and rollcall, as advice from others above, there is no advantage to purchase anything prior to boarding, it is AUD onboard.

I have checked our personaliser for the cruise, which will be the same as yours as we both booked in OZ......drink packages and coffee card are incorrect and show incorrect pricing......I think we discussed it earlier on on our Rollcall.

No advantage to purchase OBC as our cruise is in AUD:)

Thanks for your help, everyone! That sounds like a good plan, to either pay onboard or give them a call if I really want something pre-purchased.

(I missed a lot of the rollcall conversation, and skimmed to catch up, so I missed that discussion. Sorry, cheznandy!)

Edited by kunoichi

Thanks for your help, everyone! That sounds like a good plan, to either pay onboard or give them a call if I really want something pre-purchased.

(I missed a lot of the rollcall conversation, and skimmed to catch up, so I missed that discussion. Sorry, cheznandy!)

No worries, I know you were studying:p

There are a few from the US on our Rollcall, so their pricing having booked in the US may be different, but I can assure you that the advice you are given here will be correct.

The Emerald Princess is new to all of us in Oz, we will be able to report back to everyone here!!

Cool, I'll probably be watching you dock, provided you don't arrive too early.

We will be the last ones off!! Love our last breakfast in the buffet, especially on this class ship if it noses in.......rear deck, looking over harbour bridge and Opera house, best seat in the house while everyone is rushing off.

We will be the last ones off!! Love our last breakfast in the buffet, especially on this class ship if it noses in.......rear deck, looking over harbour bridge and Opera house, best seat in the house while everyone is rushing off.

Don't delay too long, because we'll be among the first on.

Hi kunoichi, you are on our cruise and rollcall, as advice from others above, there is no advantage to purchase anything prior to boarding, it is AUD onboard.

I have checked our personaliser for the cruise, which will be the same as yours as we both booked in OZ......drink packages and coffee card are incorrect and show incorrect pricing......I think we discussed it earlier on on our Rollcall.

No advantage to purchase OBC as our cruise is in AUD:)

what about Shorex? If we fail to book early we may miss out on a place. Does the same exchange rate shenanigans happen via Cruise Personaliser for shorex?

what about Shorex? If we fail to book early we may miss out on a place. Does the same exchange rate shenanigans happen via Cruise Personaliser for shorex?

Hi Dobby

We don't do ship tours but luckily with Princess, shorex do not have to be paid upfront, so you can book to secure your tour and if you decide on board not to go, you can cancel without penalty, I think it is 24hours before, but someone else may be able to help with that.

When you do the booking in your personaliser, you have the choice to prepay or not.

I cannot comment on the prices but I would think they would have to be correct.....the glitch is mainly the drink packages as the US had them before us and the system seems to use the USD and convert it to AUD, depending on the exchange rate, thats why we all have different prices:rolleyes:......same with the OBC.

So I guess my advise is, book shorex if you are planning to do ship tours and have it charged to your folio onboard and buy everything else onboard.

Plus with that is, if you have OBC, you can use that towards your spending.

I agree that there seem to be glitches in the system when pricing goods & services in AUD, but I wonder if there is another factor. International cruises and items purchased on board do not attract GST, but I wonder if services like drinks packages, coffee cards etc if pre-purchased, have to have GST added because they are purchased in Australia. Just a thought. :)

thanks cheznandy

As a result I may even shout you a frothy *wink*

Cheers

Haha, I am sure my hubby would enjoy the frothy:p

I agree that there seem to be glitches in the system when pricing goods & services in AUD, but I wonder if there is another factor. International cruises and items purchased on board do not attract GST, but I wonder if services like drinks packages, coffee cards etc if pre-purchased, have to have GST added because they are purchased in Australia. Just a thought. :)

Could be that....but it certainly confuses those that do not know, especially when they find out onboard that the AIBP is $59, that extra average $15 per day for even a 10 night cruise is $150, so for two persons $300:eek: more.

Hi Dobby

We don't do ship tours but luckily with Princess, shorex do not have to be paid upfront, so you can book to secure your tour and if you decide on board not to go, you can cancel without penalty, I think it is 24hours before, but someone else may be able to help with that.

When you do the booking in your personaliser, you have the choice to prepay or not.

I cannot comment on the prices but I would think they would have to be correct.....the glitch is mainly the drink packages as the US had them before us and the system seems to use the USD and convert it to AUD, depending on the exchange rate, thats why we all have different prices:rolleyes:......same with the OBC.

So I guess my advise is, book shorex if you are planning to do ship tours and have it charged to your folio onboard and buy everything else onboard.

Plus with that is, if you have OBC, you can use that towards your spending.

Yep 24 hours to cancel shore tours.