Elevator death on the Ecstasy

ComradeRyan

I truly can't believe Carnival doesn't have safety procedures in place such as lock out tag out to prevent a horrible accident like this when maintenance employees have to perform a task that involves these kind of risk.

Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think we have all the facts yet. Elevator accidents happen far too often but I don't think they have time to establish the exact cause. I was meeting in a building with a client a few years back and about 5 minutes before we took the elevator upstairs (which we never ended up doing) a lady was walking into an elevator and the doors slammed shut on her leg and the elevator car shot up. Obviously she died and everything was chaos and the emergency folks weren't there by then except for security and they were freaked out too.

I digress- accidental tragedy sucks. But maybe we should not cast blame yet. Sometimes accidents are just that and there is no evil force to blame.

My heart goes out to the worker's family and to anyone who had to witness such a tragedy.

I truly can't believe Carnival doesn't have safety procedures in place such as lock out tag out to prevent a horrible accident like this when maintenance employees have to perform a task that involves these kind of risk.
I agree. And why did Carnival send an electrician to do a job of an elevator man? Elevators are a specialty trade and it takes years to be trained.

I agree. And why did Carnival send an electrician to do a job of an elevator man? Elevators are a specialty trade and it takes years to be trained.

Listen to the video again. It was a waiter that said that it was an electrician, not a Carnival spokesperson. There is a very good chance that the waiter doesn't know the technical name of a person that fixes elevators. That, on top of the fact that English is most likely not the waiter's first language, means the correct terminology for the deceased's job may not have been used.

So, please, let's not jump to conclusions and start rumors that are untrue, and place blame when we don't know all of the facts.

Edited by bakersdozen12

Listen to the video again. It was a waiter that said that it was an electrician, not a Carnival spokesperson. There is a very good chance that the waiter doesn't know the technical name of a person that fixes elevators. That, on top of the fact that English is most likely not the waiter's first language, means the correct terminology for the deceased's job may not have been used.

So, please, let's not jump to conclusions and start rumors that are untrue, and place blame when we don't know all of the facts.

Totally agree. We don't know who was in the elevator or why or what went wrong yet. Send good thoughts/ prayers/ good vibes to his family. They have got to be wondering with so many questions themselves.

I agree.

Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think we have all the facts yet. Elevator accidents happen far too often but I don't think they have time to establish the exact cause. I was meeting in a building with a client a few years back and about 5 minutes before we took the elevator upstairs (which we never ended up doing) a lady was walking into an elevator and the doors slammed shut on her leg and the elevator car shot up. Obviously she died and everything was chaos and the emergency folks weren't there by then except for security and they were freaked out too.

I digress- accidental tragedy sucks. But maybe we should not cast blame yet. Sometimes accidents are just that and there is no evil force to blame.

My heart goes out to the worker's family and to anyone who had to witness such a tragedy.

Through proper training and procedures most if not all workplace accidents are preventable. I'm not blaming Carnival maybe Carnival does have the proper procedure in place and the employee did not follow said procedure. I'm sure that a proper investigation will reveal the facts. Right now we know that a horrible tragedy did happen and a employee lost their life. I surely hope that changes are made to prevent this from happening again.

If they didn't have video I bet people wouldn't believe their story of "blood poring out of an elevator", or even cover it on the news.

Exactly - these days it's like it didn't happen unless there's video or photo. I can't believe the harsh comments toward this passenger. Evidence is always helpful for investigations. I'm an attorney (not a personal injury attorney), and I hope I would have the presence of mind to take photos or video if I saw it, although like another commenter said, I would probably pass out first. Recording it or not, what's so wrong with providing counseling for people who have seen something so horrific? It's tragic for the victim and his family and also rough for anyone who saw it. Have some compassion.

Edited by emory2001

I see what you're saying, but it doesn't seem like the guy who took the video did it to gather evidence. And out of compassion and respect for the man who died (and his family) there was no need to bring that footage to the local news to air.

People's motivations can be debated (admittedly, I didn't watch the video and don't plan to), and I can see both sides of whether to take it to the media, but I still think photo and video are far more often helpful than not.

3) the family of the deceased deserves any assistance Carnival can provide, and I am confident that they will. The reason I say this is even for a burial at sea, for guests, they charge nothing. The provide a time and place, staff to accompany you, and without request, a letter memorializing the event with a large photo of the ship in an album. If they are so generous when essentially doing a guest a favor, I am confident they will take care of their own.

We did a burial at sea in August and received the letter but nothing else. I hope Carnival steps up to the plate and helps the deceased family.

Not starting rumors. I've been in the elevator business for 30 yrs. and I can tell you that cruise ships, cargo ships and most other ships do not have elevator personnel on them. They do have crew members that will try to fix them but they are not governed by strict codes like here in the states. So when an elevator breaks and they can't fix it,they simply leave shut down til they get to port. I've never worked on a cruise ship but I have friends that have. It takes about 5 yrs.of on the job training while your going to school before they turn you on your own to fix elevators. Edited by iwannacruznow

People's motivations can be debated (admittedly, I didn't watch the video and don't plan to), and I can see both sides of whether to take it to the media, but I still think photo and video are far more often helpful than not.

I agree. I see the value in the media having the video. They can choose to show it or just to describe it. Viewers can choose to watch or not. But if the media doesn't have it, this doesn't make the news and the public should know things like this when deciding how they want to spend their travel dollars. If safety procedures aren't in place to prevent accidents like this from happening to employees, are they in place to prevent accidents from happening to guests? Something to consider. Also, if not for the media reporting on this, the victim's family may never have been aware that the video existed. How would they have known? It is evidence they may need in any future litigation or settlement discussions.

What kind of a sick person video tapes something like this and then takes it to the media and what kind of a media outlet would run such a thing?

Makes me weep for humanity that we have such sick attention seeking people that would seek their 5 minutes of fame in such fashion.

I guess it']s how they get ther 15 seconds of fame.

Sad isn't it.

I agree. I see the value in the media having the video. They can choose to show it or just to describe it. Viewers can choose to watch or not. But if the media doesn't have it, this doesn't make the news and the public should know things like this when deciding how they want to spend their travel dollars. If safety procedures aren't in place to prevent accidents like this from happening to employees, are they in place to prevent accidents from happening to guests? Something to consider. Also, if not for the media reporting on this, the victim's family may never have been aware that the video existed. How would they have known? It is evidence they may need in any future litigation or settlement discussions.

There is still NO reason for the media to have the video, either to show it or not. Just how does seeing the video help one decide how to spend their travel dollars? The written story is enough. Do you really think this wouldn't have made the news without a video? In addition, there is one sleaze bag person who makes this type of thing his business and he would/will be all over it. He lives for any kind of accident on a cruise ship and every opportunity to slam cruising as dangerous.

The guy's a total jerk for contacting the media with this video for his fifteen minutes of fame. If he'd given it to the investigators only, that would be another story. Instead he's just another 'bag trying to get his face out there and maybe get something from Carnival.

RIP to the crew member. I hope his family never sees that video.

I came here to see if there was any more information on the accident, but after reading some of these responses, particularly those to the father of the teenage children who witnessed the aftermath of this horrific accident, all I can say is that if these ships had to sail on the ocean of compassion in this thread you would all be permanently stuck in port.

Sympathies to the family of the deceased.

My prayers are with the poor victim's loved ones. My prayers and greatest concern is for the individual(s) who activated the elevator just as millions of people do every day, not knowing that there was someone in the shaft. That soul is the one who will need counseling. And I daresay, probably more than three sessions.

Videocamera Guy should pay for one or more counseling sessions for each person who viewed his video. They all saw the exact same thing he did and he is solely responsible for that.

My friend and I are booked on the Ecstasy to sail on January 11-15th. We were both shocked and terribly saddened to learn of this horrible accident. Never mind we can't "unsee" that video. I don't mean to sound insensitive or selfish, because I truly do feel awful for this poor man's family and coworkers. I can't help wondering, though, if this tragedy will affect upcoming cruises on this ship...does anybody have any idea how Carnival usually handles tragedies on a ship... Do they let the ship keep sailing? I would hope that if they do that they would at least permanently shut down that elevator.