Electronic Travel Authorisation for Canada

sandav

Starting March 15, 2016, visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to or transit through Canada will need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travellers with a valid visa.

This will affect UK cruisers flying to Vancouver to start their Alaska cruise, me included

The countries involved can be found on cic.gc.ca

Sandra

Interesting. Canada is making it very difficult for illegals. That means even if you are legal you better be able to prove it. Personally I wish the US would step up as well.

Take me for example. I am a born Canadian citizen and have a joint bank account with my American born husband. We now live in the US. Canada requires Canadian ID to access your bank account. Which means he can't access his own account in person. Guess what! Neither could I. I presented my US passport and drivers license and was told "no". I solved his issue by getting the Nexus card so now he has Canadian government issued ID.

I wanted to get an ID so I went to the DMV. They told me if I could get one if I had two pieces of ID. My passport and a credit card. Umm, if I had my passport I wouldn't need the ID but okay. Oh, and a certified copy of marriage license wouldn't work for the name change. I needed the original.

So I applied for my Canadian passport. Do you have ID? Yes, I have my birth certificate, my certified copy of my marriage license (they accepted the copy) and I own a house here. Re the house: so what? the lady says. I have houses in three countries. Um, okay. But I was born here and have had 4 previous passports. It took me TWO days of going back and forth in person to finally get them to accept my application. The guy there said that many people that legally can have a Canadian passport are having the same issues and recommended I go next door to the local (I can't remember the correct name) government representative and maybe they can help you. He says he sends around 5 people a day over there. The left hand refuses to help the right

Take me for example. I am a born Canadian citizen and have a joint bank account with my American born husband. We now live in the US. Canada requires Canadian ID to access your bank account. Which means he can't access his own account in person. Guess what! Neither could I. I presented my US passport and drivers license and was told "no". I solved his issue by getting the Nexus card so now he has Canadian government issued ID.

I don't understand this. I have a Canadian bank account at RBC, and before that had one at CIBC, have never had any Canadian ID, and have never had problems accessing my accounts.

Edited by 6rugrats