Unassigned balcony on the Emerald

Cabogirl13

Hello everyone, fairly new to cruising and first time on Princess so I would love some input please. We are booked on the Emerald in March and at the advice of of travel consultant, we booked an unassigned guaranteed balcony. As we didn't have any idea of what and where we should look for staterooms, it sounded fine to us. Can anyone provide any input as to when we will likely know what our assignment is (in advance or when we get there)? Any tips for an improvement or comp upgrade like in a regular hotel? Is there an ideal area to be in? We are active and in our 40's so walking distances isn't an issue and we don't tuck in too early. Would love input from you experienced cruisers. Thanks bunches!

Hello everyone, fairly new to cruising and first time on Princess so I would love some input please. We are booked on the Emerald in March and at the advice of of travel consultant, we booked an unassigned guaranteed balcony. As we didn't have any idea of what and where we should look for staterooms, it sounded fine to us. Can anyone provide any input as to when we will likely know what our assignment is (in advance or when we get there)? Any tips for an improvement or comp upgrade like in a regular hotel? Is there an ideal area to be in? We are active and in our 40's so walking distances isn't an issue and we don't tuck in too early. Would love input from you experienced cruisers. Thanks bunches!

It could be assigned up to 24 hours before the cruise.

Just have to wait it out basically.

We booked a GTY balcony on the Ruby for the upcoming Jan 2 sailing - no room assignment until about mid-November, though we had paid in full when we booked back in late August/early September.

That said, they assigned us a really nice room - C433 with the bigger balcony. (I think that's the number - it's definitely mid-ship on Caribe deck though...)

Watch your spam folder and, if you have gmail, where it pre-sorts your messages into Promotions/Social/etc as I found the email giving us our room assignment either in my spam or promotions folder rather than my inbox.

Advantage: You probably paid for a lower cost balcony. You could end up with a higher cost balcony or even a mini suite.

Disadvantage: You may not know your location or cabin number literally until you arrive at the terminal. You may have an obstructed view or a location under something like the pool deck that could result in noise issues with your cabin.

IF you get an assignment early and are not happy with it, your TA can request that you be put back into the pool and try your luck again. If you don't get an assignment till the last few days before cruising, you're rather stuck with what you get. Don't get me wrong--the results with this sort of booking can be really good, and in any event you won't get less than what you've paid for.

Disadvantage: You may not know your location or cabin number literally until you arrive at the terminal.

This would only be true if one did not access their boarding pass/travel summary/bag tags in the personalizer which can be done up to the day of sailing.

It would not be assigned at the pier.

On our last cruises (back-to-back short ones) a year ago, I did not find out until four days before the first cruise. I found out for the second cruise the next day. We were pleasantly surprised to get nice upgrades from the lowest level of balcony guarantee to Cat. BB on the first cruise and a Cat. B2 on the second one.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your input. Still no assignment but hopeful we will end up with a pleasant surprise when it does come. Just paid off the balance so perhaps we will see some action. I appreciate the suggestion of contacting our TA if it is bad. Love that we are just a little over 2 months out. So excited.

:D

Princess is giving fewer upgrades these days and most they do give are to a higher category of the same type cabin. Ie, from a lower category to a higher category balcony. Rather than an upgrade to a higher type (balcony to mini, for instance), they offer an upsell. This generates a little more revenue.

Do you know what level Guarantee you booked? I've been upgraded twice (out of three guarantees) - once from a BA (on the Crown) to a mini suite and just recently from a BF to a mid aft BB on the Regal.

The first Guarantee that I booked, when I wasn't upgraded, was on the Ruby. We booked a BA and got a Caribe Deck in the 600's and I was thrilled with that location.

You have 48 hours to decline an upgrade. I was really torn on the recent upgrade. A BF would have offered unobstructed views down to the water. We got "upgraded" to D610. When we look straight down we will be looking onto a tender/lifeboat. I wasn't thrilled, but decided that since we love Caribe Deck on the Grand Class ships (they look down directly onto the mini suite balconies and not the ocean) we would accept the upgrade. I was worried that if we went back into the pool we could end up in a worse location and at least this cabin has cabins above and below.

We received this upgrade notice over two months (December 18th, we don't sail until February 21) prior to our sail date. We've always received our notices at least several weeks in advance. Usually soon after final payment is due for those who booked early. The final payment for the 21st sailing was December 8th. Your TA should be able to give you this information.

Best of luck - no matter what you are assigned, I am sure you are going to have a fantastic time!:D

Edited by hllwdcruiser

I assumed the reason my TA suggested this route was as someone else posted to pay the lower category Balcony charge and hope to get a higher category. I don't expect anything more than a balcony, but hoping to get lucky and be assigned a good one. We are not early birds, so a little noise wont be too bad. Looking out the window at snow this am I will just be happy to be on the ship!

[i]Do you know what level Guarantee you booked? I've been upgraded twice (out of three guarantees) - once from a BA (on the Crown) to a mini suite and just recently from a BF to a mid aft BB on the Regal. [/i]

We are in a Guaranteed BF category. Not sure what to expect with that.

I assumed the reason my TA suggested this route was as someone else posted to pay the lower category Balcony charge and hope to get a higher category. I don't expect anything more than a balcony, but hoping to get lucky and be assigned a good one. We are not early birds, so a little noise wont be too bad. Looking out the window at snow this am I will just be happy to be on the ship!

We are not early birds either so I was more worried about being under a deck where furniture (deck chairs etc) might be moved over our heads in the wee hours of the morning:eek:

We are not early birds either so I was more worried about being under a deck where furniture (deck chairs etc) might be moved over our heads in the wee hours of the morning:eek:

Yikes, I hadn't thought about that. That would definitely be NO BUENO. I will be sure to check out that type of thing when we get assigned.

[i]Do you know what level Guarantee you booked? I've been upgraded twice (out of three guarantees) - once from a BA (on the Crown) to a mini suite and just recently from a BF to a mid aft BB on the Regal. [/i]

We are in a Guaranteed BF category. Not sure what to expect with that.

We had a BF (Forward Balcony) and got "upgraded" to a BB. I think you have a good chance of being upgraded within the cabin category. As others have said, Princess is now upselling upgrades - so getting a meta upgrade is rare nowadays. Fingers are crossed for you!

Edited by hllwdcruiser

Thanks everyone for your input. Still no assignment but hopeful we will end up with a pleasant surprise when it does come. Just paid off the balance so perhaps we will see some action. I appreciate the suggestion of contacting our TA if it is bad. Love that we are just a little over 2 months out. So excited.
Hoping you're not disappointed. As long as Princess assigns you a balcony cabin in the category you booked or higher, you may be stuck. If your assignment comes just a few days before your cruise, there may not be any other cabins available to switch you to. My understanding is that if it comes earlier and there are unassigned cabins in the category you get, then you can have your TA request moving you to one of those cabins.

Ok, now I am going to sound really dumb...Didn't realize that BF meant Forward Balcony. What does that actually mean, assuming we just get placed in a BF category room.

BF on the Emerald is on the Lido or Riviera deck. Have you looked on the deck plans on Princess.com?

http://www.princess.com/deckPlans.do?shipCode=EP

The BF are highlighted in green. If you do get that category and are assigned the Riviera deck, you are in luck because you will have cabins above and below. Even if you are assigned Lido it may be okay unless you are under the fitness center. I can't say for sure because I have never been in one of those cabins.

Once you get your cabin assigned you can do a quick search for it on this forum and you may be able to find a review.

Do you get sea sick at all? We have been all the way forward, all the way aft and mid ship and never get the slightest bit queasy. Some people prefer mid ship because they feel less motion.

We actually like the forward and aft cabins because they force us to walk more resulting in working off some of those extra calories!

BF on the Emerald is on the Lido or Riviera deck. Have you looked on the deck plans on Princess.com?

http://www.princess.com/deckPlans.do?shipCode=EP

The BF are highlighted in green. If you do get that category and are assigned the Riviera deck, you are in luck because you will have cabins above and below. Even if you are assigned Lido it may be okay unless you are under the fitness center. I can't say for sure because I have never been in one of those cabins.

Once you get your cabin assigned you can do a quick search for it on this forum and you may be able to find a review.

Do you get sea sick at all? We have been all the way forward, all the way aft and mid ship and never get the slightest bit queasy. Some people prefer mid ship because they feel less motion.

We actually like the forward and aft cabins because they force us to walk more resulting in working off some of those extra calories!

Thanks hllwdcruiser for the info. I hadn't really looked at much yet as to the deckplans since I had no idea where we might be. Interesting that "worst" case we will only be in 1 of 2 decks and obviously now I know, to the front of the ship. I never (knock on wood) get seasick but hubby has on some offshore fishing trips, so he is concerned as this is his first cruise. On a ship this size in mid March do you feel much movement typically? I want to do a long Med cruise next year for my milestone birthday next year, so this cruise is his "test" to see if he likes cruising, if he gets seasick, if he gets bored...you know all the normal first timer stuff :)

I have sailed in late February early March and it just depends. I think it is usually pretty calm but we have experienced a few rocky nights. I love when I feel the motion though - it reminds me that I am on a ship!

FWIW my son has gotten sea sick on every small vessel fishing trip he has been on yet was fine on the two large ship cruises he went on. I really think it all depends on the individual.

Edited by hllwdcruiser

It would not be assigned at the pier.

It's certainly very rare for a cabin to be assigned at the pier - but we have twice been reassigned an upgraded cabin at the pier - inside to outside obstructed in Alaska and inside to outside in Europe.

In theory, bags are diverted to the new cabin - in practice that takes a few hours and it is a lot quicker to pop along to the old cabin to see if your bags are outside.

We've booked "guarantee" cabins a few times - usually the cabin assignment happens about 4-6 weeks before the cruise, if I remember correctly.

It's certainly very rare for a cabin to be assigned at the pier - but we have twice been reassigned an upgraded cabin at the pier - inside to outside obstructed in Alaska and inside to outside in Europe.

In theory, bags are diverted to the new cabin - in practice that takes a few hours and it is a lot quicker to pop along to the old cabin to see if your bags are outside.

We've booked "guarantee" cabins a few times - usually the cabin assignment happens about 4-6 weeks before the cruise, if I remember correctly.

Just for grins....did you check the personalizer/cabin assignment the day of the cruise, before arrival at the pier?

Edited by Colo Cruiser