Grandparents taking 2 yr old on Escape

Calker

We suddenly became legal guardians of our two yr old grandchild. We are sailing on NCL's Escape in two weeks - we were able to add our grandchild to our cabin reservation but we know nothing about cruising with a two yr old.

Take stroller along?

Take along a pack & play? (Grandchild is currently in a trundle bed - less than six inches from the floor in our home).

Is there a kids club for two yr olds that are not potty trained?

I've heard that some cruise lines have toys that can be checked out of the clubs for playtime in the cabin, does NCL have this option?

Where do I dispose the dirty/wet diapers? Is there a diaper pail available through the steward?

Does the Escape have a swim/play area for under two's who are not trained?

What are the "must bring with me" items you recommend for a 2 yr old?

Where on NCL's web site can I locate this type of info?

Anything else I should be checking out?

Definitely take a stroller...you will use it a LOT!

They will provide a P&P...ask in advance!

Kids have to be 3 to use the kids club and potty trained to use the pools. Yes..they will "loan out toys"

Bring some small trash bags to enclose dirty diapers...place in the trash can.

I would bring a small blow up tub for splashing on the pool deck..also useful to help with bathing in the shower! Bring ALL the diapers and any medications...the ship doesn't carry pediatric stuff!

Escape has a nursery for pay for 6 month - 3 year olds. You will be able to send the 2 year old there to give you a break, and he/she will enjoy all of their activities geared towards her age group.

Edited by LrgPizza

There is lots of good info on the Family board.

Most important is your legal paperwork for your new role.

I would definitely take a stroller. Umbrella folding type is the easiest and most compact, car seat adaptable is the most versatile, especially if you are flying or taking taxis.

A little bottle of Tide, found in the travel section of your drugstore, is invaluable for washing things out.

Taking along basic meds is a great idea. Obviously if the child has a lovey or favorite toy that is important. Extra binky if a bunny user. For travel, small pre packaged snacks, books, toys. Extra sippy cup.

We just went to Disney for a week with our 13 month old grandson. It was fun to see the world through his eyes. We did hire a sitter for several evenings so we could do adult things.

Best wishes on your new adventure.

There is lots of good info on the Family board.

Most important is your legal paperwork for your new role.

I would definitely take a stroller. Umbrella folding type is the easiest and most compact, car seat adaptable is the most versatile, especially if you are flying or taking taxis.

A little bottle of Tide, found in the travel section of your drugstore, is invaluable for washing things out.

Taking along basic meds is a great idea. Obviously if the child has a lovey or favorite toy that is important. Extra binky if a bunny user. For travel, small pre packaged snacks, books, toys. Extra sippy cup.

We just went to Disney for a week with our 13 month old grandson. It was fun to see the world through his eyes. We did hire a sitter for several evenings so we could do adult things.

Best wishes on your new adventure.

Lovey and binky... 2 words that are never used in my part of the country, and it took me a minute to figure out what you meant. Ha! It's fun to hear how others talk. (sorry to derail.) :D

I recommend an umbrella stroller, rather than the SUV type. The corridors are narrow and cabins are small. Umbrella strollers fold up for easy storage.

Bring extra diapers for "Just in case." The little blow-up tub is a great idea for the pool deck or shower stall.

If any of your ports have beach excursions, you and your grandson might enjoy those.

Enjoy your cruise.

For the quick responses.

I have a birth certificate, medical release, court order placing her with us, and a court order allowing her to leave the country during the cruise days.

NCL phone service thinks this will be adequate, can anyone think of anything else we may need. Have been unable to get through to a TSA service rep yet to see what they say.

For the quick responses.

I have a birth certificate, medical release, court order placing her with us, and a court order allowing her to leave the country during the cruise days.

NCL phone service thinks this will be adequate, can anyone think of anything else we may need. Have been unable to get through to a TSA service rep yet to see what they say.

Where are cruising out of? Where is the cruise to?

I will preface this post by admitting I have never brought my kids on a cruise, but after years of tent camping with little ones I think I can offer some tips that will help in any situation.

Most importantly as others have mentioned bring a stroller, your back will appreciate it greatly. Also the blow up tub will be great. As you mentioned your two year old is not potty trained a blowout is inevitable, and trying to clean up a child in a shower is not fun (I can speak from experience). Below I have listed what is in my essential gear list for my kids for any vacation we take them on, hopefully you will find it helpful.

Full set of clothing # days x 2

Diapers and wipes

Diaper Bag

Stroller

Arm & Hammer Dog poop bags (for dirty diapers and clothes) available at walmart and target

Sun Block

Children,s motion sickness pills

Children's Tylenol

Children's Benadryl

Diaper rash cream

Sunblock

Cuddle Blanket and stuffed animal

I hope this helps. Again I pack a lot of other things but this in essential kit that I bring with. Most of it is stowed in the diaper bag. Make sure you bring twice as many diapers and wipes as you think you will need. The dog poop bags are a must have they block the smell make clean up easy and come in a nice roll and they block odors even in a hot car on a road trip.

Thanks to all of you.

I've started a suitcase already and included all of the items mentioned.

My big concern is her "soft and cozy" blanket and her stuffed "lovey" since she needs it between now and sail away.

I've been using regular plastic bags for used diapers whenever we go out - never thought of doggy bags. That's on the next store run.

Thanks again.

You have lots of great suggestions above :)

I'll add a few things that helped our ds2 when he travelled at age 2 for the first time:

Toddler cutlery. He liked to eat with a fork and spoon, and the ship doesn't always have small sizes (like teaspoons) available. If you bring them, bring a very small container of dish soap to wash them in the cabin.

Toddler toilet seat. Ds2 decided he wanted to toilet train the week before we left, and ended up trained on day 2 of our trip. Good thing, because I forgot most of his daytime diapers (oops!!!). There are inexpensive fold up versions that fit into a gallon sized ziploc bag.

Ds2 slept in a regular bed with a bed rail, which I packed (deconstructed) in his suitcase. Depending on your cabin layout, this may work better than a pack and play. Alternatively, you could pull a mattress onto the floor. Make sure all doors are locked at night! (My ds2 was a Houdini...)

I second the suggestion of bringing child medications (Tylenol, Advil and benedryl are with me at all times). Favourite band aids and ointment are good to have in your bag when on excursions.

If you're flying to port, take a car seat. There was a recent event in Canada where many children were injured during bad turbulence, this could have been prevented with use of proper child restraints. You can also use the car seat in port, I know I've used them in St Thomas and we could have in Tortola. Nassau has water taxis to Blue Lagoon, which is very toddler friendly. Consider bringing a child sized life jacket for playing in the water at a beach. Some might call me overly cautious with safety, I used to be certified as a child restraint technician here in Canada, and I work in health care. I never want to find out what kind of health care facilities there are while on vacation!

Enjoy your trip, you have a very lucky grandchild :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk