How much do you walk on deck?

dockman

We walk at least 5 miles a day. We won't cruise on a ship without a promenade deck we can do laps on. Love walking the promenade deck because we are outside, close to the ocean and the view is beautiful.

I almost always walk one hour in the a.m. before breakfast and another hour around 4 pm....my normal pace is 3.5 miles per hour so about 7 miles a day. Helps keep weight gain down plus i just love to walk on the Holland wrap around decks. Give me an MP3 player with some good music and I am a happy camper.

Colder weather cruises can sometimes be a bit of a problem but on most cruises I do manage to get in my daily miles. I am not fond of treadmill walking but unless it's is really rough or extra windy/cold you'll find me on the LP deck.

One of the best things about Holland is the wrap around deck. Frankly I hate ships that don't have this feature.

Most people on the deck are polite although of course there are sometimes a few that don't seem to be able to read the NO JOGGING signs or those who think they can stand on deck and smoke a nasty cigar and nobody will notice.

Agreed, the HAL wrap around promenade is excellent for walking. I use it, like you, twice a day. It's one of my favorite activities on the ship - peaceful, the best view you can ask for! You can make an argument for the promenade on RCL Oasis/Allure/Harmony, simply because a circuit is the longest at sea (over 2000').

How do you work that? I want to bring my dog.

I believe he "works that" by needing a guide dog for the hearing impaired.

Guide dogs for the common sense impaired might not qualify.

You are correct.. Her dog is a "Service Dog"...

We've been talking about Service dogs with Caribbean Chris on another thread.. They are such wonderful dogs..

At home I walk 10 miles nearly every day. Never seem to walk nearly as much while on board, Although I do get in at least several miles on the promenade deck, which I love. Never, ever take the elevator so manage to get in dozens of flights of stairs on the ships. Next summer I think I'll make one of those promises to walk more while I'm on the VOV. :)

We always walk at home 5 miles round trip from our home along the beach and back! On our cruises we love walking everyday on the promenade prior to going on shore which we do a lot of walking and on sea days. For us it is so wonderful to have the ocean waves breaking up against the ship and the salt air!

I do like the gym but it is not the same on board.

Denise:)

I believe he "works that" by needing a guide dog for the hearing impaired.

Guide dogs for the common sense impaired might not qualify.

That was an odd way to describe it then. You'd think she'd say her "service dog" rather than "my labardor," which implied a pet.

Edited by lawduck

When friends and neighbors ask me if I will be having a cabin with a verandah, I tell them I have the cruise world's largest verandah...the wrap-around outside deck! (And, yes, like others have said they do, provided the ship is not rocking too much, I take the stairs, up and down, for additional exercise.)

I don't walk as much as I should, but I do love the teak deck - it's so much easier on these old legs. I had a stress fracture a few years ago from, I believe, all the walking on cobblestones in Europe, and it still bothers me if I walk on really hard surfaces, so the ships' decks are wonderful. DH walks much faster than I do, and laps me regularly, but I try to do at least 10 laps (I count on my fingers, he counts on coins in his pockets, transferring them back and forth) if we're at sea. I like to listen to music, DD fixed me an iPod with the right speed of music for walking.

I gave up long ago actually trying to count the laps as i get distracted by music or the view or whatever and lose count. For me the easiest way is to just time yourself and see how long one lap takes on average. Then just walk and measure the time and if you want it is then easy to calculate how many laps you walked. I keep it simple and just walk one hour or 3.5 miles or about 11-14 laps depending on the ship size.

Every ship walker knows what it feels like when the wind is whipping around the ship and hits you full force as you round the bow...it can almost blow you backward..then you round the corner and the wind is suddenly at your back and you almost glide down the deck...just imagine that same wind hitting the full length of the ship and the force it takes to move the ship through the water and the wind.

It's a shame that the various promenade decks aren't handicap accessible. I love to go out and sit in a lounger, but many of the ships don't have a lounger near the doors, and it's impossible to get out there without walking. :(

I gave up long ago actually trying to count the laps as i get distracted by music or the view or whatever and lose count. For me the easiest way is to just time yourself and see how long one lap takes on average. Then just walk and measure the time and if you want it is then easy to calculate how many laps you walked. I keep it simple and just walk one hour or 3.5 miles or about 11-14 laps depending on the ship size.

Every ship walker knows what it feels like when the wind is whipping around the ship and hits you full force as you round the bow...it can almost blow you backward..then you round the corner and the wind is suddenly at your back and you almost glide down the deck...just imagine that same wind hitting the full length of the ship and the force it takes to move the ship through the water and the wind.

I know I'm somewhere around 5 minutes per lap. If it's 20 laps for 5 miles I'll look at my watch as I go out and get a target time for finishing, and then adjust that time every couple of laps. If I lose track of the count I have that target time to fall back on.

It doesn't work on (non-HAL) ships with very short laps, I may just five up on the miles and walk a set time.

Roy

I try to do at least 2 laps after every meal, or at least a mile a day. The promenade deck is so much fun to walk wearing an ipod, and peering out at the ocean.

Once I saw this really cool looking bird taking refuge on the railing and being quite unafraid of pax gawking at it while walking close.

This is one of the reason why I remain with HAL.

If I am not at home, I walk five miles (I walk less at home, but I can control my diet more easily). That applies to ships. The only exception was after I twisted my ankle in Mazatlan, the next day, but I got in three.

Once I figure out how long a lap is (I have apps for that), I use a small "clicker" counter, and the rest is mathematics.

And I also walk in the wee hours, once I know I won't be in the cleaning crew's way. Because the decks aren't crowded with you.

Edited by Wehwalt

I always check deck plans before i book..no wraparound deck, no booking. Not sure but looking at deck plans of koningsdam it looks like it doesn't go all the way around and for sure gets very very narrow....starboard stern side is strange on prom deck.

The Koningsdam has a full wraparound promenade deck.

http://koningsdam.hollandamerica.com/activity/promenade