Just boarded Liberty in Galveston

We were very anxious about the embarkation process for LOS in Galveston given all the negative reports on CC after the Terminal 2 remodel. But, happy to report that it was the smoothest and most efficient we have ever had in 4 cruises out of Galveston. Dropped at terminal by hotel shuttle at 11, porter waiting to take bags curbside, into terminal 5 minutes later and on ship and enjoying drink at Plaza Bar by 11:30. Wonderful! Let the cruise begin!

We were very anxious about the embarkation process for LOS in Galveston given all the negative reports on CC after the Terminal 2 remodel. But, happy to report that it was the smoothest and most efficient we have ever had in 4 cruises out of Galveston. Dropped at terminal by hotel shuttle at 11, porter waiting to take bags curbside, into terminal 5 minutes later and on ship and enjoying drink at Plaza Bar by 11:30. Wonderful! Let the cruise begin!

This is great to hear. You also have a beautiful sunny day to enjoy. We'll be on her next month.

Enjoy your cruise!

that was are experience when we cruised on Navigator last year. Getting off the ship was quite horrible though.

LIke to know just what Liberty is doing just sitting out in Galveston Bay?????

Been there since she left. Shes turning now toward open water...wonder what happened????

There she is

i6i1rm.png

Finally looks like she's getting under way......

Edited by BecciBoo

On Dec 20th, for boarding LOS, we arrived late at 130pm and took us about 1 hr to board. Fairly long line still and very few came after us.

Disembarking was kinda crazy but still only took about an hour and 15 min or maybe a little more because we got stuck for over 45 min paying duty. Suspect it would have been about 30 min otherwise.

I think you are on the last cruise before dry dock in the Bahamas. Wonder if they are doing a re-position cruise there.

We got off Liberty yesterday and from the minute they called us until we got on the Lighthouse shuttle, it took 30 minutes total. I think this was good. However, the terminal baggage area was crazy. The bags in my section were strewn about and it was packed. We had an excellent porter thought who zipped us out quickly and customs was the fastest I have ever experienced.

Let us know how it is when getting OFF the boat, too, please! Have a great trip!

Just got off the Liberty yesterday. Make sure you use the Porter assisted option for your luggage. The self assisted line was very long while the Porter assisted went straight to the front of the line at customs.

We will be on the LOS out of Galveston in July. Our first time leaving from Galveston, since we are on the East coast. We are driving and adding a few days in New Orleans...also something we don't normally do. We prefer to fly but wanted to visit New Orleans. I hope we are able to disembark quickly and get on the road.

I think you are on the last cruise before dry dock in the Bahamas. Wonder if they are doing a re-position cruise there.

Highly doubtful. The demolition work and refurbishment begin the minute the last passenger steps across the gangway. They have a very limited time to do a ton of work. There isn't a minute to spare.

We walked off with our own bags and were on the road to Houston about 7:45. We were the second ones in line to get off the ship. Be aware that the times posted in the compass were later than the actual times to walk-off, so go earlier. The compass stated walk-offs would begin about 8:00 a.m., but the process started just before 7:20. They had 2 groups depending on location of your cabin - forward and aft. Being second in line didn't work this week because the scanner (aft deck 4) that checks you off the ship was broken, so we ended up having to walk the length of the ship and join the other group (forward deck 4) in one very long line. We were still on the road at 7:45, but we really did some fast walking to get to our car and get out of there. We had no alcohol to declare - that can cause a slight delay. If you park in the terminal lots ( we were in lot B), they want you on a shuttle, and again there was one long line. I ran to our car while the others waited with bags at the curb, and we were able to beat the traffic and get on the road. I have used a private lot before and will next time since it seemed easier to get to my car quickly.

Edited by Mal

There are many hotels in Galveston that offer shuttles usually at a separate price, but he is talking about the parking across the street, all the lots offer free shuttles with your parking fee.

My DH always walks it, they are so close, faster than the shuttle.

LIke to know just what Liberty is doing just sitting out in Galveston Bay?????

Been there since she left. Shes turning now toward open water...wonder what happened????

Finally looks like she's getting under way......

Maybe they were overstocked with the Texas-approved liquor on board and were trying to reduce inventory....:p

We walked off with our own bags and were on the road to Houston about 7:45. We were the second ones in line to get off the ship. Be aware that the times posted in the compass were later than the actual times to walk-off, so go earlier. The compass stated walk-offs would begin about 8:00 a.m., but the process started just before 7:20. They had 2 groups depending on location of your cabin - forward and aft. Being second in line didn't work this week because the scanner (aft deck 4) that checks you off the ship was broken, so we ended up having to walk the length of the ship and join the other group (forward deck 4) in one very long line. We were still on the road at 7:45, but we really did some fast walking to get to our car and get out of there. We had no alcohol to declare - that can cause a slight delay. If you park in the terminal lots ( we were in lot B), they want you on a shuttle, and again there was one long line. I ran to our car while the others waited with bags at the curb, and we were able to beat the traffic and get on the road. I have used a private lot before and will next time since it seemed easier to get to my car quickly.

Glad to hear that it is possible to get off that early. We're going to try to catch a 10:20am flight out of Hobby in April. :eek:

Yes - I know the risks!

Good to hear. i hope your getting off the ship and through customs goes as well. In the short 10 years I've been here it seems there are problems in the beginning when a bigger ship comes to a port the first time. Glad to hear they are getting things worked out.

Disembarked the LOS this morning and while it was not quite the seamless experience of the boarding it was pretty smooth. Left the gathering point at Schooners at 8:45 and was through customs and on the shuttle bus to Moody Gardens by 9:30. I'll take that every single time. It should be noted that this was the last RCI cruise out of Galveston for a month since Liberty is headed to dry-dock.