Join Pete and Judy on their FIRST World Cruise on the Amsterdam

The-Inside-Cabin

It will be fun to read your postings - thank you for writing them. It will also be fun to read about the cruise from the prospective of HAL World Cruise Newbies (yours) and that of many time WCers - Bill and Mary Ann.

Always frustrating when your flight arrives at an airport early only to find that there is no one to operate the jet bridge and you end up waiting till your original arrival time to get off the plane. But that is far better than arriving late and having to run to make a connection so we were happy to be in Atlanta and in the same time zone as our final destination.

Our arrival and departure were both in the A concourse, so we avoided the long walks and a train ride and spent our 2 hour layover relaxing in the Skyclub.

IMG_1566.jpg

Delta 757-200 with new Interior

The plane for our final leg was a Boeing 757-200 with the new Sky Interior. Very nice and complete with the "new car smell".

FLL-Cruise-Ships.jpg

Port Everglades January 4th - 6 Cruise Ships!

The weather approaching Fort Lauderdale was a little overcast so we couldn't see the ground very well on our final approach from over the Atlantic heading west. As we ducked under the clouds for the last time, Port Everglades appeared all at once out the right window and what a view - 6 cruise ships in port at the same time: Constellation, Island Princess, Maasdam, Emerald Princess, Zuiderdam and the Serenade of the Seas.

Fort Lauderdale Cruise Line Reps

arrival-lobby.jpg

Fort Lauderdale Cruise Line Reps

The airport is going to be crowded - but we snuck in after the big wave of arrivals yesterday and the flood of departures later today and tomorrow. As we came down the escalator toward baggage claim, we spotted a Princess rep holding a sign next to a Celebrity rep. A little further back were the HAL rep in a little pop up booth next to the NCL rep. We had arranged for a driver service to meet us with an SUV so we could avoid trying to find a cab that could handle all our bags and the case of wine. They had those little push carts to rent for $5 and we used two and went to our belt to await our bags.

Wine-Cropped-e1451970577303.jpg

You know the day is off to a good start when your bags are the first to arrive. They were so close together, I had to scurry a bit to get them off before they disappeared back inside, but I managed.

The Box appeared OK but was wrapped in TSA inspection tape, so I was relieved that I didn't see this soggy red box on the belt. I used a specially made wine container I bought on Amazon Wine Packing Foamhttp://www.amazon.com/Polar-Tech-Champagne-Bottle-Shipper/dp/B009W80G8C for $16. It worked great and I think you could have dropped this from 10 feet and it would have survived.

The driver was waiting in the cell phone lot so we were quickly on our way to the Hyatt Pier 66. Here I realized I made a mistake with my Hotel selection. Sure the hotel was close to Port Everglades, but I wasn't going to walk, and the taxi price for this short trip was not going to be that much less than a hotel 5 miles away. The Hotel was a madhouse.

Six ships were turning around - so we had everyone getting off the ships staying here after there cruise, along with the people who stayed here last night waiting to get on those same six ships. If there is ever a day you may get a early check in, it would be a Monday - but not today as the hotel was jammed with those "Cruise People" in both directions!

The front desk clerk asked for my cell phone number so she could call once the room was ready. But after she heard the 619 area code, she paused and said she could only call a local number...really...this is 2016 (does anyone worry about domestic long distance anymore?) I was tempted to tell her she could send me a fax, but I smiled and said I would be in the lobby and check back later.

image1-e1451970609303.jpg

Judy passing the time knitting

We ended up waiting in the lobby for 3 hours till our room was ready. Judy made good use of the time knitting her latest project.

image3-e1451970645237.jpg

The Wine is OK!

Once in the room, we inspected all the bags - and finally opened The Box. Everything was A-OK and ready to make the final trip to the Amsterdam tomorrow.

We took an Uber to a Walgreens about 1 mile away for a few things - I needed some tape to put The Box back together.

Back in the room, we were getting more and more excited as we realize our Grand Voyage is right around the corner and the final journey - The Check In - will consume most of the day tomorrow.

Coming attractions: Checking in as a 3 star (100 days on HAL) in a sea of 4 stars and above - will my line be so short might it actually be faster? We plan to leave the Hotel at 10:45 to try and get in front of the rush. Time will tell so stay tuned.

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin

I´m really looking forward to join your reading community for this cruise,

once upon a time I want to go on such a cruise.

You stated you are taking along 8 suitcases, as I only know inside staterooms or normal balcony ones. What kind of stateroom did you book? Is there a place outside your stateroom to store all this luggage while you are on board?

Hmm, I am wondering the same thing! We've only ever had a verandah cabin at best and there would be no way you would get 8 suitcases in! I am very much looking forward to following your reports and blog as they make good and fun reading.

Ozcruizer

I´m really looking forward to join your reading community for this cruise,

once upon a time I want to go on such a cruise.

You stated you are taking along 8 suitcases, as I only know inside staterooms or normal balcony ones. What kind of stateroom did you book? Is there a place outside your stateroom to store all this luggage while you are on board?

We have a Vista Suite.....port side aft near the elevator...

I have read that stewards will stash your suitcases if you ask....they probably stick them in empty cabins nearby....

We have a Vista Suite.....port side aft near the elevator...

I have read that stewards will stash your suitcases if you ask....they probably stick them in empty cabins nearby....

I think the stewards have run into this before. On our very first cruise they simply put the smaller suitcases inside the larger ones and slid them under the bed. Things were a little tight until we got everything stowed. My guess is you will be fine.

Laughing at myself right now! Because of your "name" the-inside-cabin, all I was thinking was there was no way I would survive 133 days in an inside room!!! I am so happy for you both!

During my navy days, we were always in an "inside cabin" - but you really couldn't call them cabins -smile. My record was 93 consecutive days at sea....without seeing land...

During my navy days, we were always in an "inside cabin" - but you really couldn't call them cabins -smile. My record was 93 consecutive days at sea....without seeing land...

My husband kept saying....he's a Navy man, he's used to it! I kept saying.....he wouldn't put his wife through it! .... Would he??? Soooo

Relieved!! Now I can really enjoy "our" cruise!,

Have a wonderful cruise to my neighbors!

You will enjoy this magnificent cruise!

2017 for us!

When I say neighbors I mean where we live!

Rain finally happening here for us!

Hope great sunshine and we will be watching your sailaway.

Denise :)

Thanks so much for posting here and for maintaining your entertaining blog. As a former appellate attorney I appreciate those, like you, who write well. I am very interested in reading about your adventures, especially since we are contemplating taking the World Cruise in either '18 or '19.

Smooth sailing,

Bob