MSC Divina really THAT bad????

glamer57

As I said, They rarely had anything available other than pizza, burgers, hotdogs and such.

This what happens when you try to Americanise (what passengers wanted apparently) an Italian ship instead of leaving it as it was and going with the flow!

As for the buffet being Tiny are you saying they only opened a small part of it? I know they have done that in the past but only for short periods, the actual buffet size is anything but small.

It sounds to me like the complaints of rudeness is more a case of those people having never had to deal with certain Nationalities before and expect everyone else to be like them.

Edited by sidari

I think MSC makes a big mistake trying to modify the original Italian style of their ships to something they think Americans would like better and consequentyly flock to the travel agencies for an MSC cruise on the Divina. Anyone, American, European, Asian, etc. who opts to travel on an Italian cruise ship expects to find an Italian style in decor, food, entertainment and staff. MSC will never be able to create a burger to satisfy American tastes. First time MSC cruisers should try the osso buco, tiramisu, and a negroni. Welcome to Italy.

I think MSC makes a big mistake trying to modify the original Italian style of their ships to something they think Americans would like better and consequentyly flock to the travel agencies for an MSC cruise on the Divina. Anyone, American, European, Asian, etc. who opts to travel on an Italian cruise ship expects to find an Italian style in decor, food, entertainment and staff. MSC will never be able to create a burger to satisfy American tastes. First time MSC cruisers should try the osso buco, tiramisu, and a negroni. Welcome to Italy.

You actually live in Rome??? What I wouldn't give! Rome is my favorite city, anywhere!

I am certainly looking for a more European feel to the ship. I truly hope they haven't tried too hard to cater to Americans. I had a pizza in Rome and loved it. Went back the next year and they had turned it into an American pizza. Bleegh! Fingers crossed that the European experience is still to be found!

You actually live in Rome??? What I wouldn't give! Rome is my favorite city, anywhere!

I am certainly looking for a more European feel to the ship. I truly hope they haven't tried too hard to cater to Americans. I had a pizza in Rome and loved it. Went back the next year and they had turned it into an American pizza. Bleegh! Fingers crossed that the European experience is still to be found!

I agree :)

This is off topic but the best pizza in Italy is found in Naples. Folks from Rome, Milano, Palermo, etc. might disagree but Naples is where it started. Personally, I don't care for Roman pizza.

...yep, we're a little off topic, but... While I loved the pizza in Rome... I agree, the pizza in Naples is like nothing I've ever had... pity I can't find it here. Oh, well... just another reason to have to return to Italy! :D

As I said, They rarely had anything available other than pizza, burgers, hotdogs and such.

This what happens when you try to Americanise (what passengers wanted apparently) an Italian ship instead of leaving it as it was and going with the flow!

As for the buffet being Tiny are you saying they only opened a small part of it? I know they have done that in the past but only for short periods, the actual buffet size is anything but small.

It sounds to me like the complaints of rudeness is more a case of those people having never had to deal with certain Nationalities before and expect everyone else to be like them.

Was recently on Divina and the buffet had many different stations, even a carving station. If you went all the way back, there was an ethnic section. Pasta station, salad section, cheese and cold cuts. Yes, at the front were the burgers, hotdogs, and fries but keep walking and you'll find all kinds of food.

Was recently on Divina and the buffet had many different stations, even a carving station. If you went all the way back, there was an ethnic section. Pasta station, salad section, cheese and cold cuts. Yes, at the front were the burgers, hotdogs, and fries but keep walking and you'll find all kinds of food.

That is the normal buffet set up on MSC ships. I'm not a huge fan of them but when I do go, I head to the back to the ethnic corner. They usually have a great selection of sales and fruit, so I just don't understand the complaint by the other poster about there only being hot dogs and burgers. Either MSC closed three quarters of the buffet or they didn't walk past the start.

That is the normal buffet set up on MSC ships. I'm not a huge fan of them but when I do go, I head to the back to the ethnic corner. They usually have a great selection of sales and fruit, so I just don't understand the complaint by the other poster about there only being hot dogs and burgers. Either MSC closed three quarters of the buffet or they didn't walk past the start.

Many people tend to do the same thing on the M-Class ships of Celebrity. They only go so far in the buffet and then think that is it! But, there is so much more to choose from at the back of the buffet! People need to keep walking! :D:D

Exactly. They only had the main buffet area opened except for the first day as we were boarding. The food was not bad, I just wanted the bigger selection of foods to try. I can get pizza and burgers any time, and I'm from Chicago so the hot dogs I didn't even bother with :D. I had heard raving reviews about the pasta dishes and only got to try one. The rest of the buffet had signs with an arrow pointing to the main area saying "OPEN -->".

They were all closed except for the first day. I walked toward the back every day because I had heard raving reviews about going back there. I was dissapointed to say the least.

I have found those special short 4 night cruises are probably the worst cruises .

The staff hates them since most of the passengers are very rude and demanding, trying to fit everything into 4 nights especially the drinking.

Very often the line will switch crews and or give staff time off thus keeping the ship understaffed.

I have been on two and will never do one again.

Just my 2 cents.

I have found those special short 4 night cruises are probably the worst cruises .

The staff hates them since most of the passengers are very rude and demanding, trying to fit everything into 4 nights especially the drinking.

Very often the line will switch crews and or give staff time off thus keeping the ship understaffed.

Just my 2 cents.

Completely agree. We've only taken one a few years ago on MSC but that was enough for us. Totally different experience than the 7night cruises which we love. Also a totally different experience when the entire ship or half the ship is chartered VS a non chartered ship. Really do wish the cruise companies would tell people when booking about large groups onboard.

I don't know where some people come up with the reviews. Been on a cruise and when we got back there was a review stating that it had rain 4 out of the 5 days on our cruise. I must have been on a different cruise because it had rain 1 day and it was the day we were in Mexico. Some expect so much from a cruise because they feel they paid $$$ that they expect 5star everything. When we go anywhere we go with the flow and enjoy ourselves as we are on vacation and not at work :(

Mike

• 2 months later...

I want to go on a cruise the week of Thanksgiving and I alot of ship set sail on Nov 19 out of FL.

Of all of the cruise, MSC Divina is the cheapest by $200 less for balcony.

The price is good, but the food. hahaha .. I see alot of pizza and pasta. Come on, add a few chinese, indian and american food and I will get on board.

Just my 2 cents.

We have the short cruise booked for July 2- did you do a short Carribean cruise and not like it? Was it a themed cruise?

I don't understand the difference. Is it just the amenities?

We just booked a Bella guaranty on Divina and were assigned a Fantastica cabin. Does that mean we get Fantastica benefits? Does having Bella mean we really might not be able to dine in MDR?

One other thing.....Is there a deck on Divina that is only available to Yacht Club? Are there any decks we cannot not use being Bella?

We just booked a Bella guaranty on Divina and were assigned a Fantastica cabin. Does that mean we get Fantastica benefits? Does having Bella mean we really might not be able to dine in MDR?

One other thing.....Is there a deck on Divina that is only available to Yacht Club? Are there any decks we cannot not use being Bella?

Moved,,,

Edited by Mikesa1721

I want to go on a cruise the week of Thanksgiving and I alot of ship set sail on Nov 19 out of FL.

Of all of the cruise, MSC Divina is the cheapest by $200 less for balcony.

The price is good, but the food. hahaha .. I see alot of pizza and pasta. Come on, add a few chinese, indian and american food and I will get on board.

All that type was available on our 7 night cruise, the food was outstanding.

My question is this: Is it really THAT bad when it comes to food and service?

Any insight is appreciated :)

Short answer: The Divina is NOT that bad :). It's different, but not bad. If the cost was identical to RCL, Celebrity, etc.. I'd probably choose a more mainstream line, but the prices aren't identical. IMO, MSC is a better value at the current pricing.

No you only get the room, you don't get the perks, even if you got a free upgrade to a suite you don't get the perks that go along with the suite.

Yes there is a Yacht club level where no one else can go.

I don't know how likely it is that you will have to eat in buffet

The Divina is anything but BAD. The buffet was vast. Piles of Prosciutto and cold cuts way down one end, Mexican taco station everyday, Kids Corner, Pasta station, various styles everyday, omelet station near pool in AM, converted to fresh pasta in afternoon, plenty of curry options throughout week... I am astounded that someone would complain because they have hot dogs and hamburgers, have you forgotten how children eat, plus I have never been on a ship that didn't either serve burgers or have a grill station.... Main Dining was good, best lobster at sea, imho. Tiramisu and other desserts best at sea, service was good, never blinked an eye when multiple orders per course were ordered, just to try.

I thoroughly enjoyed my time on Divina, wouldn't hesitate in the slightest to return

The Divina is anything but BAD. The buffet was vast. Piles of Prosciutto and cold cuts way down one end, Mexican taco station everyday, Kids Corner, Pasta station, various styles everyday, omelet station near pool in AM, converted to fresh pasta in afternoon, plenty of curry options throughout week... I am astounded that someone would complain because they have hot dogs and hamburgers, have you forgotten how children eat, plus I have never been on a ship that didn't either serve burgers or have a grill station.... Main Dining was good, best lobster at sea, imho. Tiramisu and other desserts best at sea, service was good, never blinked an eye when multiple orders per course were ordered, just to try.

I thoroughly enjoyed my time on Divina, wouldn't hesitate in the slightest to return

That's how I remember it from 2 years ago. I thought maybe they had cut back. The Divina is different but mostly "good" different. I am looking forward to being back on MSC when the Seaside gets here. Bob

That's how I remember it from 2 years ago. I thought maybe they had cut back. The Divina is different but mostly "good" different. I am looking forward to being back on MSC when the Seaside gets here. Bob

Amazing, why anyone can be so critical to the most beautiful & cleanest ship floating.