Would you wait til 1 pm to go to ship embarkation day?

Cruise2End

We cruised on Regal over Christmas. Boarded by 11:30 / 11:45 and were herded to the buffet being told our cabins would not be ready until 1:00. As we had carry on bags and 6 bottles of wine, we elected to sit in the Piazza and grab a sandwich at the IC. They never DID announce the cabins are ready, but about 10 to 1 I noticed they were no longer "blocking" boarding passengers to the elevators that would take them to their deck. Never given any explanation as to why cabins were not ready and when I asked 3 different crew their response was that is how it always is. So, if that is how it always is...no sense getting there before 1:00.

Actually a good idea that they didn't make an announcement. Could you imagine a couple hundred people all heading to the elevators at the same time? mass chaos. This way people figure it out on their own and they avoid the rush.

Could be a lot of reasons for the delay in cabins being ready (enhanced cleaning requirements, delayed disembarkation, etc). I can't say that's the norm as we usually have no issues getting to our cabin early in the boarding process. But princess is one of the few lines that lets people in cabins early, most others you don't see your room til the afternoon.

We always get to the ship around 1:30 or 2pm to avoid the crowds that can't wait to gorge themselves at the buffet. No need to rush its a vacation! :D

Great insult to all those who want to arrive early and get nboard. You just asdume they all want to run to the buffet. WRONG.

This is making me a little anxious. We'll be sailing out of Southampton UK in May for our British Isles cruise. Don't know yet what boarding time we'll be assigned, but I'd be pretty unhappy if I had to sit around the hotel lobby for several hours after check-out, waiting to board. Does anyone have any direct experience from last year's cruises? One of the earlier posts suggests that cruises out of England enforce the boarding times.

If you're sailing out of Houston, stay in your hotel as long as possible.

Why specifically Houston for later embarkation? We'll be cruising out of there soon. is it due to the fog situation that happens from time to time? We've been on board with one of those late arrivals due to fog. It was crazy!

Why specifically Houston for later embarkation? We'll be cruising out of there soon. is it due to the fog situation that happens from time to time? We've been on board with one of those late arrivals due to fog. It was crazy!

Recently the problem out of Houston has been fog delays and enhanced cleaning delays. There is no way to predict whether this will occur on your cruise. We did receive several e-mails from Princess (and one forwarded from our TA) notifying us that boarding would be delayed.

I'd suggest that you check your e-mail before heading to the terminal. If you are notified that there is a 4 hour delay, stay at the hotel as long as possible. The terminal was quite COLD and the security personnel kept opening the doors and holding them open (they were wearing heavy jackets!) We finally asked the Princess people if the doors couldn't be kept closed. These were the back doors in the terminal seating area, not the doors where people enter.

If boarding is delayed by hours, there is NOTHING for you to do at the terminal There is decent wifi available, but that's it. No point in going there till there is something happening.

I like to arrive early and here's why. I enjoy to have a nice sit down meal in the NDR when it's available rather the rush & crowd of the buffet. I figure I'll have plenty of time to visit the buffet.

Here's another option to consider. Invite some friends to join you for the Bon Voyage Experience (BVE), when offered, where for $39 they board you and your friends early, before other people. First they take your photo just like the passengers on the cruise. They usually offer a short tour, lunch in the MDR with wine for the guests. You can tour the ship just like everyone else and usually have to leave around 3 pm. You pick up the photo from the photo gallery before you leave. If people book a cruise within 60 days you get the $39 as a credit on your next cruise. It's also a fun way to see a ship or just treat yourself to a fun day. Also a way for friends to see your stateroom. I did a BVE with friends and we toasted champagne on our Caribe balcony.

Tom:)

This is making me a little anxious. We'll be sailing out of Southampton UK in May for our British Isles cruise. Don't know yet what boarding time we'll be assigned, but I'd be pretty unhappy if I had to sit around the hotel lobby for several hours after check-out, waiting to board. Does anyone have any direct experience from last year's cruises? One of the earlier posts suggests that cruises out of England enforce the boarding times.

On our BI cruise they gave us a boarding time but it was not enforced. Pax were being let in when they arrived, no holding back.

We get there about 11 - 11:30 a.m. I'd rather hang around at the cruise terminal (if necessary) and be sure I'm right next to the ship.

If we get on board and in cabin by noon - 12:30 or so, then we can unpack, eat, roam the ship, etc., and also figure out where our 'muster' station is. JMO. :)

I like to arrive early and here's why. I enjoy to have a nice sit down meal in the NDR when it's available rather the rush & crowd of the buffet. I figure I'll have plenty of time to visit the buffet.

Here's another option to consider. Invite some friends to join you for the Bon Voyage Experience (BVE), when offered, where for $39 they board you and your friends early, before other people. First they take your photo just like the passengers on the cruise. They usually offer a short tour, lunch in the MDR with wine for the guests. You can tour the ship just like everyone else and usually have to leave around 3 pm. You pick up the photo from the photo gallery before you leave. If people book a cruise within 60 days you get the $39 as a credit on your next cruise. It's also a fun way to see a ship or just treat yourself to a fun day. Also a way for friends to see your stateroom. I did a BVE with friends and we toasted champagne on our Caribe balcony.

Tom:)

Hi Tom,

I have never heard of this. Have you done it recently?

Thanks,

AC

Hi. Have sailed out Southampton numerous times in the last 10 years, and three times last year. Have never seen the SUGGESTED

embarkation time enforced. The posting mentioned about it being enforced, seems to be an annual occurrence.

we have always arrived at the terminal as early as suits us and never been turned away. The demographic of the numerous terminals at this port and the road structure would be thrown into havoc, if passengers and cars were being turned away until their suggested time. Also many UK passengers sail from Southampton and they travel in a fleet of coaches from all parts of the UK with

passengers with different embarkation times.

Don't worry it will be fine.

Only if due to circumstances we arrived at the ship at 12:55. I appreciate the company trying to space things out to make the overall wait for passengers to get aboard with minimal being in queue, but it is not convenient for those that arrive in port early due to plane arrivals, etc. that they should be able to go directly to the ship and wait there then trying to find another place to wait.

We live fairly close to the port and always try to arrive early, mainly to avoid local traffic and also to get aboard early to unpack and start enjoying the ship.

Have they changed the mode for embarkation recently, We notice we have received information not to come for embarkation until 1 pm, but we don't think we ever waited until that time before. What are others' thoughts? Guess we can always ask for delayed checkout at hotel...

They always seem to list the official boarding times later than when the ship is actually " ready" to board. So much of it depends on local conditions ie weather, health issues on board, customs etc. I Always at the port between 11 am and 11:30, have to sit and wait some place. We been delayed a couple of times and were not able to board to the official times.

cheers