Would you wait til 1 pm to go to ship embarkation day?

Cruise2End

Have they changed the mode for embarkation recently, We notice we have received information not to come for embarkation until 1 pm, but we don't think we ever waited until that time before. What are others' thoughts? Guess we can always ask for delayed checkout at hotel...

Sure, no problem. That's about when we board anyways in most ports. If there was a specific reason on a specific saiking, absolutely no problem, Especially if it's due to a deep clean or inspections or whatnot. We are definitely not folks who like sitting around the port area twiddling our thumbs waiting to board, we prefer arriving a little later and virtually walking straight in. If they actually enforced the staggered boarding times, all the better to help alleviate lines and congestion. To each their own.

Before our last few cruises, we received an email saying to arrive after 1pm. But we've arrived by noon or so and have never been told we were too early. Two of those three times, there was no line to check in (or one party in front of us). We can go through security and then actually be able to sit down until our boarding number is called -- much better for us than standing up for several minutes, inching our way to the check in.

Have they changed the mode for embarkation recently, We notice we have received information not to come for embarkation until 1 pm, but we don't think we ever waited until that time before. What are others' thoughts? Guess we can always ask for delayed checkout at hotel...

If you're sailing out of Houston, stay in your hotel as long as possible.

In Australia and in England, Princess and most other cruise lines have staggered check in. You are told on your boarding pass what time to attend check in. This assists in reducing crowds, waiting times and is enforced, particularly in Sydney. EG If you arrive too early you will be told to come back at your embarkation time.

I am surprised enforced staggered boarding has not occurred in USA.

Would we? No. Others might. My logic is that if I am at the terminal, barring disaster I'm going to be on that ship. If I'm delaying departure from a hotel room or wherever I could have issues with traffic, closed roads, accidents, whatever.

If my choice is hanging out and waiting in a hotel room or waiting at the terminal, I don't have a problem with the terminal. At least some of them have free wifi, so daughter is happy. That's all I need.

We're mbarking in San Pedro and have left from there many times before, just don't recall the "don't come til 1 pm" notice. We enjoy ust walking around the ship, leading and enjoying a glass of wine...we would have lunch in MDR if available, as we avoid the buffets

Edited by Cruise2End

Regardless we arrive around 10:30. Boarding starts around Noon.

Nope, not me. I want to be there much earlier.

What seems to be happening of late is that Princess hotel side is not necessarily having cabins available until as late as 1:00pm and that may be the reason for suggesting a later arrival. Customers are used to immediate access to cabins with Princess and early boarders around noon may be finding they are not getting that access on some ships.

Staggered boarding is inherently unfair. By luck, or other advance means of somehow knowing which deck or decks get the early time, one would be among first or last to board, regardless of travel arrangements and desires.

So, by quirk of fate, could be excluded from being on board early enough to book or put name down for certain activities.

After the priority customers, it should be open to first-come, first-served.

We have boarded before 1pm in Port of Los Angeles, and Port Everglades.

We have also literally ran into the terminal in Port Everglades after 2pm, soaking wet with our swimsuits on under our clothes (we had brought our luggage to the terminal that morning). Even though there was not another passenger in sight, the nice ladies at the terminal were not happy with us:rolleyes:.

So, no matter what- the most important thing is to do what you are most comfortable with:D.

AC

We usually arrive about 11 or so and one of the first to board. We have been delayed by deep cleaning and late ship arrival. Waiting to board is not a problem since it signals the start of our vacation. I have read on CC where pax said that staggered boarding was enforced mostly on the west coast. We have not seen it so far.

Since I always fly in at least one day ahead, it just comes down to when I have to check out of my hotel - as a previous poster said, if it's a choice between hanging around at the hotel or hanging around at the port, I'll take the port anytime because I'm actually there, right beside the ship. I can read a book for as long as it takes ...

It all has to do with what makes you feel comfortable as many people don't really have a choice about what time to arrive. If they're flying in the day of the cruise, which is better-waiting at the airport or cruise terminal? :p

I'll choose the cruise terminal any day & if the boarding takes a while, so be it. Bring a reader, watch a movie, talk to others - At least I know I won't be delayed getting to the ship.

We usually arrive about 11 or so and one of the first to board. We have been delayed by deep cleaning and late ship arrival. Waiting to board is not a problem since it signals the start of our vacation. I have read on CC where pax said that staggered boarding was enforced mostly on the west coast. We have not seen it so far.

We have never had a problem out of SFO, or San Pedro. We have had boarding instructions to arrive after 130, on our last cruise we were on at 1200.

Thanks all for your input- think we will go by the checkout time at our Orel, and if we have to wait to board so be it. As one poster put it, it's always nice to talk to our fellow cruisers or just people watch or read a book if all else fails. Thanks again and happy cruising!

We cruised on Regal over Christmas. Boarded by 11:30 / 11:45 and were herded to the buffet being told our cabins would not be ready until 1:00. As we had carry on bags and 6 bottles of wine, we elected to sit in the Piazza and grab a sandwich at the IC. They never DID announce the cabins are ready, but about 10 to 1 I noticed they were no longer "blocking" boarding passengers to the elevators that would take them to their deck. Never given any explanation as to why cabins were not ready and when I asked 3 different crew their response was that is how it always is. So, if that is how it always is...no sense getting there before 1:00.