B2B but different reservation

headhunterke

Hello everyone

I am a HAL regular by now and have completed 6 cruises on the wonderful DAMships :-)

I've done a couple B2B's as well, but they were part of Collectors Voyages and thus were booked as 1 reservation.

For an upcoming cruise (kinda last minute, departure in less then a month), I would like to do a B2B as well, but in different categories. I usualy sail in oceanviews.

But I want to try a verandah cabin as well, but doing the whole B2B in a verandah is too expensive.

If I book this, are there any special requirements I need to take into account?

And how does checking in for the second leg work? I assume I need to deboard, take my bags and then check in again through the "normal" way?

If that's the case, can I get from the arrivals directly to the check-in area?

Of course, I'll disembark in the latest group as possible to avoid a long wait outside the terminal.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, my fellow HAL folks :)

Edited by headhunterke

I don't think you'll need to take your bags off. On my last cruise I was doing a b2b. I met a couple that was doing one week on Hal and one week on another line. They decided to cancel the cruise on the other line and they were able to secure a second week on the eurodam. They did have to change staterooms but they were pretty much treated like any other b2b passanger.

You can book two different cabins. You will not have to pack all your things and take them off the ship. The stewards will help you move. All hanging clothes will be hung on a rolling rack like used in hotels, drawers are interchangeable and they will move your filled drawers to the new cabin and bring the empties to the cabin you are vacating.

You will receive a letter the last night of your first cruise telling you what is required of you for CBP (Customs and Border Control) check. Follow the directions.

Your new key card will be in the envelope. When you leave the ship to go ashore for CBP, scan off with the old card. Scan on with your new card when you reboard. You will be given an 'in transit card' which permits you to bypass the check in for the second cruise. Go through security and right back aboard when the announcement is made people can board. You don't have to go to the check in lines.

You will be required to attend the Life Boat Drill for both segments.

Have great cruise(s).

Edited by sail7seas

Thank you for the quick replies.

I assume I need to let the front desk know I will be on a B2B but changing cabins?

Will my hanging clothes be stored until the cabin for the second leg is ready? Or will they move it as soon as those guests occupying that cabin have disembarked?

It's a great relief to hear I don't have to pack and unpack again as I will have a lot of stuff with me since I will be from home for almost 2 full months :)

Your hanging clothes will not be moved from your cabin until the cabin you are moving to is empty and ready for you to occupy.

You will need to toss together things you have on your counter tops and in the bathroom. Mostly everything else will be moved quickly and easily with your stewards help. This is a time you may wish to consider a tip to thank him/her for this extra help.

On my last couple b2b cruises you didn't leave to leave the ship if you didn't want to. They did the inspection in the show room. It's been that way for a couple years generally speaking. It may or may not be that way for your cruise.

That's too bad the stewards wouldn't exchange the drawers.

I agree it isn't a big deal to pack them especially if you have some giant Ziplocs. Just stuff the things into the baggie and done..

Sail7Seas has is exactly correct. Very easy to do. We did it this past summer on a 22 day cruise in the Med. I would, however, check with the front desk because for some reason they had us staying in an inside cabin for the entire B2B when we had booked a balcony for the second portion of our cruise. I had to show our papers where we booked the second 11 days separately.

However,I will have to say that our inside cabin was very nice and large. I learned that if I want to cruise bad enough I can stay in an inside cabin. But, we were two doors away from being able to get on an open deck. Enjoy!!

7 Seas, thanks for all the wonderful advice you give to all of us. Much appreciated.

On our last B2B with a change in staterooms, our Room Stewards told us the time that the occupants of our future cabin chose to disembark. We did a minimum packing that did not include hanging clothes. Our new and future Room Stewards appeared at our stateroom door as soon as the departing stateroom was "unoccupied" to help our move.

We accompanied all of our luggage and hanging clothes on the trolley to the new room, the stateroom door was closed so the new Room Stewards could clean the room, and we found a place to relax until we were called to disembark (around 9:45 AM). When we dropped off our luggage, the room linens and towels were the only cleaning that had taken place before we arrived.

At 10:30, we were allowed to return to the ship but our stateroom was still being "prepared". We were asked to disappear for about 30 minutes and when we returned at 11:00 AM, all was ready for us.

We took our passports and both ship cards when we left the ship to wait in the In-Transit Lounge.

Edited by Crew News

I did this on Dec 28. I received my luggage forms on the 22nd and went to the front desk to inform them that I was only moving staterooms [this was on the Zuiderdam]. The evening before [when everyone else was putting out their suitcases] I received instructions like mentioned above - pack everything, leave hanging clothes on hangers and report to front desk about 10 am to pick up my new keycard and listen for the 'in transit' call to customs.

Next morning I got a phone call, the room was vacated and be ready for the steward at 9 am. I asked if I had to be there and they said yes. When I moved everything into my new room, I called and asked about getting my key early, as I had no access to my room otherwise. This was agreeable but it was still a busy time there - so I had a little wait. My room steward was already there to greet me. As you can see - my room was ready at 9 am and I'm sure that was due to favorable circumstances. We 'in transits' cleared customs [it was great having no luggage], bypassed the check in and re-boarded at just before 11 am - about a half-hour wait in the terminal. They seat you all in the same area.

I hope this helps.

Depending on the number of people staying over for the next cruise, depends on whether you will have to get off the ship or do immigration (not customs) in the show lounge.

One time we also had to change cabins. The day before we went to our new cabin and introduced ourselves to our cabin steward. The people occupying our new cabin didn't leave the ship until after 10. Thankfully we were in Montreal and didn't have to go through immigration. But it was quite a while before we got into our new cabin.

Just be certain that you take your old ID card, new ID card, In Transit card (if you are given one) and passport for immigration.

Thank you so much everyone for these very helpful tips. I've learned a great deal from this and the questions I had are all answered. You people rock :)

Hope you have a great time.

Don't stress about moving your cabin. It truly is a snap...... unless something most unusual occurs.

headhunterke,

Perhaps it can be taken care of onboard, but the advantage of the linked reservations when you switch cabins is that things like:

How/when to make the cabin transition information will be sent to your 1st cabin. (yes, while what is described above it generally true, I have experienced a few differences on HAL cruises).

Your 1st and 2nd cabin stewards will be officially notified of your need to be shuttled between the cabins.

You will receive you new cabin key cards in your first cabin, usually the day before the transfer.

You will automatically receive the correct customs/immigration information for in transit passengers versus disembarking passengers.

Just something to consider. I definitely would want mine linked, but that is just one opinion.

Edited by wander

I posted this in a similar thread and posting here as it covers the OP's topic:

We did a Coastal and Alaska B2B with 2 booking numbers last year. When we boarded in San Diego or key cards showed us disembarking in Vancouver after the Alaska cruise (second leg). One key card for both cruises. There were quite a few of us doing B2B on this one so we did get a special lunch in PG and letters we received referred to it as a Collectors Cruise even though it technically wasn't.

We had a letter in our stateroom the night before Vancouver with instructions for the turn around day and "In Transit" cards for easier access back on board if we went ashore. The letter said that we did need to stop at the US Customs area and get cleared at some point that morning but that was it. Concierge advised us to head to customs after most had disembarked and just before new passengers started processing through.

When we walked into the terminal from the ship we showed a a HAL person our In Transit cards and she walked us to the US Customs area, waited, then walked us through a back hallway back to the ship once we finished.

We didn't change staterooms so all was very smooth and stress free.